To NCL Vets. Is Haven the only way to go now?

Why would you ever pay the price for the Haven. I can go on a luxury line for the price you pay for the Haven.

well, we just got back from a minisuite on the Jewel, and Im NOT doing that again with small children (3 and 6). So, we have booked The Haven for next year. The luxury lines are not equipped for kids.

I laughed when I saw this post because I've been thinking it all week, but didn't want to come out and be the first to say it. But with all the new fees it kind of makes the Haven perks that much more "perky."

We didn't specifically choose the Haven on NCL, we fell in love with the DOS on the Gem bc it has its own hot tub. It just happens to be in the Haven, so we get all that comes with that. We booked our 2015 and 2016 cruises under the current promo, so our cruise is pretty much all inclusive at this point.

Yeah. lol I don't care about posting this because I've never been on NCL so I'm not trying to stir the pot anymore. I just want to know because while it is much more expensive, is it really if you're getting the drinks, the specialties, the tips and $300 per room?

Here is my take on this.

Considering how NCL is now either charging or charging more for things that were previously included in the cruise fare, and that booking a suite or a Haven Suite comes with additional perks (because of the current promotion), I think that booking a suite is the best way to go right now. We have been on 7 NCL cruises - 4 of them in suites - and I have found that considering what you get it is a still a good deal.

We are currently booked on Escape on a Haven Spa Suite and paid $4900 for the two of us. Considering all the perks that are currently included, I must say that we got a bargain. Without the additional perks from the current promotions, I would have to think twice as to whether or not we can justify spending that kind of money for a Haven suite.

That's exactly what I'm getting at. FOr us, it would be more like $6400 because we would want an aft facing Haven suite which is more than the standard. But we want the bigger room, bigger balcony and we always buy all the packages anyway so if you toss it all together, I'm thinking it isn't all that much more assuming I book the lowest cost week available. You guys are giving me a lot to think about though especially if it is a really active ship. I am used to Celebrity where there really isn't much going on but on NCL, if there are all of these activities--ropes course, rock wall, waterslides, Spice, Vibe etc, maybe the room won't be that important. Then again, I hate crowds and that main pool does not look like it has the capability to handle a full ship's passenger load. A lot to think about.....I really appreciate everyone's input. Thank you and keep anything you can think of coming,

To further elaborate and clarify. Yes, I know the Owner's Suites have larger accommodations than a typical Haven suite. Still, I personally find the suites in the Haven that are like the other suites on the ship to be of little value. The added perk of being in a secluded area of the ship does not appeal to us. Especially considering I can get suite perks in a normal suite and get a location on the ship that I like to travel. Again, I wasn't offering advice, I was merely answering the question asked.

I appreciate your comments be it advice or personal opinion. ;) Now I am really going to sound stupid but does the Escape have non-haven suites? I thought all the suites were haven. ??

As for us, we too are booked on the Escape over Christmas in a Spa Balcony. I booked that because the spa will offer me the solitude (I think) compared to the Lido Deck. The funds I saved from booking a Haven we are using to get a Large Balcony on the Getaway in June.

As we are getting the beverage package from NCL, prepaid DSC and $100 OBC from our TA I don't expect to feel nickled and dimed on these cruises. NCL with their promotions drew us to try two cruises this year and I expect all cruise lines will continue to grow revenues. The grass isn't always greener on another cruise line.

That's exactly what I'm getting at. FOr us, it would be more like $6400 because we would want an aft facing Haven suite which is more than the standard. But we want the bigger room, bigger balcony and we always buy all the packages anyway so if you toss it all together, I'm thinking it isn't all that much more assuming I book the lowest cost week available. You guys are giving me a lot to think about though especially if it is a really active ship. I am used to Celebrity where there really isn't much going on but on NCL, if there are all of these activities--ropes course, rock wall, waterslides, Spice, Vibe etc, maybe the room won't be that important. Then again, I hate crowds and that main pool does not look like it has the capability to handle a full ship's passenger load. A lot to think about.....I really appreciate everyone's input. Thank you and keep anything you can think of coming,

If money is not the object you should definitely book the Haven. I really did enjoy the Haven Restaurant and the bar. There were two nights that DH and I were alone with the bartender, just relaxing and DH could actually hear the game on the TV.

If you want to avoid the pool crowds the Haven is the way to go. It would be a no brainer for me if our income allowed it...

Yeah. lol I don't care about posting this because I've never been on NCL so I'm not trying to stir the pot anymore. I just want to know because while it is much more expensive, is it really if you're getting the drinks, the specialties, the tips and $300 per room?

It is for us. Nearly $4,000 more Easter week 2016 for the lowest price Haven room on Escape versus the two large connecting balcony rooms we have now. We already have the UBP for our room and $200 OBC for kids room. So the perks would be more qualitative and less financial. The ROI just isn't there. BUT, its not always about ROI. If you want to book the Haven, that's great and would never be a mistake in my book. Just doesn't provide ROI in terms of the cost of extra perks you get in my instance. But again, for some the experience matters more. And that's great too.

Some people only need a small, cheap, car but have a big, expensive, car.

Some people only need a small, cheap, apartment but have a big, expensive, house.

Some people only need a small, cheap, cabin but book a big, expensive, suite for their cruise.

For us the answer is easy, Haven is the only way to go. We are not rich, compared to most people cruising, but we still think that it's worth to pay for a suite. We will not cruise without a suite again.

• 3 weeks later...

I will put in my two cents. To be frank if NCL didn't have the Haven we probably wouldn't be sailing with them. With NCL there is truly a direct correlation to price and product. One gets exactly for what one pays. The employee to passenger ratio on NCL is definitely not the best in the business. The Breakaway has only .41 employees per passenger. One lux line has .71 employees per passenger and i have been on a ship where it was 50/50 at one time. That surly contributes as to why so many complain on the NCL threads about waiting on drinks etc... How can they can offer the same quality of service in the main portion of the ship as the luxury lines or The Haven offer? They seem to up the ante on that ratio in The Haven area. You have a room steward, butler, and concierge at your disposal plus all the waitstaff of the Haven bar and restaurant. Therefore, The Haven service is superior. So that makes the ratio even lower for the main part of the ship. It also makes for some affordable cruising in other staterooms.

As to why we have chosen NCL over some luxury brands, for us it comes down to the itinerary or departure port, freestyle, and also because generally we like a two room suite. You cannot get a two room suite with two bathrooms on most lux brands for any where near the same price as NCL. (side note-The room furniture is better quality on the lux brands than on NCL.) Some don't even have two room suites or maybe only one or two rooms on the whole ship. Also, the concierge takes care of a lot of little details in which again allows you to enjoy your vacation instead of wait in lines. Also the luxury lines and Haven areas just aren't as crowded or noisy as NCL public areas. All those little perks of included soft drinks, tea, liquor in the room, etc... add up to convenience which for us is worth the extra cost. :)

I think the "nickel and diming" conversation is the wrong track...

For me, it gives me the choice to either add things to my cruise that I want or not add things I didn't want in the first place.

• I don't drink. I don't order room service. I don't want to pay for those things, and I can not pay for them on NCL.

• I do like specialty dining. I can opt for that and pay for it. Other who don't like or want it can not opt/pay for it.

• Service fees are a neutral thing to me. I believe that the staff deserve it, and I am not fussed about the increase.

I DO NOT like that NCL changes the policies during cruises and doesn't grandfather in these changes. THAT is the big mistake, it you ask me.

We camp, ride horses, we get so far back in the hills that we take our own water, firewood, horse fodder, beverages... Ne reason to take the cell phones because there is no service. Theses weekends cost us about $20.00 a day plus fuel to get there.

This time it is different. It's our honeymoon. We want to be pampered, we want to have the option to avoid the 3000+ others on board, we want the luxury.

We found no better choice than the Haven for our one week vacation.

p.s. If I want room service, it will be worth $7.95 to get breakfast in bed.

I'm so confused. I booked an extended balcony on the Breakaway. Are you saying that since I didn't get a Haven room, I have to pay for things? Like what? I prepaid my gratuities. I don't have access to a hot tub?

Your fine you only pay for the extras you may choose like spa, specialty restaurants, booze, bowling, pictures etc etc etc.

I'm thinking about booking a 2 bed haven suite on the Epic for next March. If I book before the 30th I can still get all the perks and kids free. It's pricing out at around $6000 so if 5 of us go it seems a deal. However if only 3 of us end up traveling, not so much.

For those of you who cruise in Haven suites regularly, I'm wondering what a good price is for the first two passengers in one of the 2 bed suites?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by mackfam