Princess versus RCI

racnwdow

This is going to be my first cruise on Princess and my boyfriends first cruise ever. Before I have cruised RCI and loved every ship. What differences can I expect? For allof you that have been on both cruise lines, I would love your input.

I fully expect to have a fantastic time on this cruise.

Thanks,

We find Princess overall to be more laid back and less in-your-face with activities and announcements. The ships are broken up into smaller public areas that help hide the fact you are confined in a relatively small area with a large number of people. The bigger RCI ships are more like a shopping mall in design, forcing everyone into one central area that feels congested at times. Princess is less structured, and you aren't made to feel that you are misssing out if you don't participate in every activity. JMHO.

It all depends, too, on where you are cruising and for how long. Shorter cruises tend to have somewhat more diversity in age groups and can be more energetic.

We find Princess overall to be more laid back and less in-your-face with activities and announcements. The ships are broken up into smaller public areas that help hide the fact you are confined in a relatively small area with a large number of people. The bigger RCI ships are more like a shopping mall in design, forcing everyone into one central area that feels congested at times. Princess is less structured, and you aren't made to feel that you are misssing out if you don't participate in every activity. JMHO.

It all depends, too, on where you are cruising and for how long. Shorter cruises tend to have somewhat more diversity in age groups and can be more energetic.

We just came back from our first Princess Cruise after two RCI cruises and couldn't agree more with you. In fact Princess has now become our cruise line of choice. I might add that the food is notches above RCI. If I wasn't being forced to cruise on the Freedom with family I would have booked two cruises for next year with Princess. It was absolutely wonderful! The people onboard were much better behaved and more pleasant to cruise with as well.

Hi we have been on both RCI and Princess, and love them both.But I must agree that Princess is more laid back and less in your face as a previous poster mentioned. I tend to book first on the itinerary I want and of coarse the price, and then the cruise line, either RCI or Princess. Our last two cruises have been Princess and we have another booked for this coming March, so that might say something I guess. I think you will enjoy both.

Cori

We've done 3 Princess (all Grand class) and 1 RCCL (Brilliance) and thoroughly enjoyed both. That being said, Princess wins for us hands down. Some of the reasons include:

- fresh water pools on Princess

- more comfortable chairs poolside on Princess (except indoor pools, where both are equal)

- Personal Choice dining (particular important in the Med when you have to rush to get back for meals if you have early seating)

- better service for drinks both around pool and at shows with Princess

- better shows BY FAR!!! on Princess (don't know if this is a cruise line thing, or a Med vs. Caribbean thing, but the shows on Brilliance were awful- and that's being kind)

- more pools on Grand class ships which translates into less crowds at each

Just our observations. Individually they are no big deal, but collectively they made our future choices easier! Just our opinion, for what its worth!

We have cruised nothing but Princess - 15 times and 3 booked - and think they are the greatest - however - if you read some of the "post and run" posters on this board you would be better off in a canoe than on Princess - but - Go with Princess - you will not be dissapointed.

Ron

You didn't mention what Princess ship you were cruising on but regardless,I second everything that has been mentioned so far.The positives for Princess versus RCCL as I see it are:

freshwater pools open 24/7 (can't get used to those saltwater pools on RCCL)

MUCH BETTER FOOD...hands down,IMHO

more laid back and user friendly

soothing colors and textures (RCCL ships are LOUD!)

cheaper drink prices

Both lines had excellent shows & staff was equally attentive

We have been on 2 cruises with Princess and 2 with RCCL and loved all 4. Alot will depend on the ship and also the time of year that you travel. We have been on both a grand type ship with Princess and a voyager class type ship with RCCL and thought that the Princess grand type ship seemed less crowded than the RCCL voyager type ship The 2 smaller type ships with each seemed similar in that respect.

We enjoyed the entertainment on Princess a bit more than on RCCL, but enjoyed both. Food, rooms, and service seemed simialar. I liked the youth secuity on Princess. I think RCCL lets alot of things go on that shouldn't before they take any type of action. I think Princess on the whole is quicker to intervene if there is a problem, or at least they did when we had trouble with rowdy teens in the cabin next to us.

Also had a much easier time finding loungechairs to read in on the Princess ships.

It looks like you are going to be on the Sun Princess - an older ship.

Looking at your cruise history, you have been on several older RCCL ships (and it sounds like you have liked them). If you were pleased with those, you will be pleased with the Sun Princess. If you try to compare it to the Radiance class, you will be disappointed.

I think Princess' food is better in the dining room. I am not overly thrilled with the buffet on Princess (or any other line for that matter).

Princess uses fresh water pools which IMO is better then RCCL who uses salt water.

Service is so subjective because it really depends on who your server is. There are great ones and not so great ones on both RCCL and Princess.

I think you will find the cruise a little more subdued but that is fine with me. I spent 2 weeks on the Sun this summer and had a good time. I like the size of the ship - very easy to get around, good layout.

Definitely let us know when you return!

Archived