Royal forward motion

Ready to Sail!

Have never been on a ship as large as the Royal. We are currently booked far aft on deck 9. For a couple of reasons are thinking of moving up to forward area on same deck. I am a little sensitive to motion but I think I have read that it really isn't very noticeable on the Royal/Regal.

Can anyone who has been in this area give me their thoughts?

Thank you

Edited by Ready to Sail!

I think it depends on where the Royal is headed. I had L108 last year on a 26-day transatlantic/Baltics cruise and there was lots of forward motion. But we were crossing the Atlantic at a good clip with high winds, etc. If you're doing the Caribbean, it probably wouldn't be so bad. I had to take some meds last year, which is unusual for me. Just my experience, though!

OP - don't get me wrong, I loved the forward location on the Lido deck. Close to pool, Horizon Court, elevators, etc. But there were some nights that I wanted to hurl (if you know what I mean). It gradually got better as the trip went on. But crossing the Atlantic was bumpy and full of rocks and rolls. If you're really sensitive to motion (I know I am), aft may be a better choice - of mid-ship would be best. For my next transatlantic, I've booked mid-ship - just to be safe! Have a great trip.

Except for that one cruise we usually get mid to aft and motion was never an issue. We moved to the aft on this because price drop allowed us to go from balcony to deluxe balcony very cheaply. Cabin space trumped location. Decided with all I read about mid ship elevators, maybe being aft wouldn't be all that bad. Another price break would have allowed us to stay in deluxe but would require the move far forward. Motion is the main factor in deciding location so will stay aft and not have to worry about it.

My wife is very prone to mal de mer and cabins from midship to aft on lower decks are best for her. :D

On our October 2013 Royal w/b TA (a more southern route via Madeira) many commented that it was too smooth & like we were at the pier. :p We also sailed the Royal for 10 days from NYC to Ft. Lauderdale via the Caribbean. Both were smooth sailings and no motion issues on the TA (D508) or repositioning (E711) cruises. As said weather & sea conditions affect the ship but neither Royal cruise was rough. I don't recall any bad conditions on a Baltic cruise (Crown Princess) several years ago in the month of May.

When the motion affects my wife she takes meclizine (much cheaper generic of Bonine) and has enjoyed dozens of cruises. Soon we sail on the Regal's TA (1st North Atlantic crossing) & we have a lower deck mid aft cabin. :D

Edited by Astro Flyer

We are doing the Baltic which I would imagine could be an issue. Think we better stay put.

Unless you plan on a cruise in October/November, you would experience absolutely no motion sickness on your cruise. Most of the year high-speed ferries are used in the Baltic Sea.

We just returned from 9 days in L205 on Sapphire Princess and we would never stay aft as those cabins have more vibrations, engine noise, and pollution from the funnel.

We had two cabins to the aft of Caribe deck ( but not right at the aft of the ship) cabins 719 and 720 and felt no motion. There was absolutely no vibration whatsoever and it was very quiet as very little through traffic. Great position for DR and Horizon Court.

Being either aft or midshiops is best to avoid movement. Would never choose the front of any ship.

Edited by ellie1145

There was absolutely no vibration whatsoever and it was very quiet as very little through traffic.

We've had the same experience with several aft cabins (lower to upper decks) and the only vibrations/engine noise we've experienced were when the bow thrusters were being used such as departing from a port.

And, back to your question....

Been in the (all the way) front premium suites several times on the Royal (Regal next week). We didn't notice it too much in the cabin, but the walks down that hall to the cabins are back and forth. We have been on Baja and above, and even though it is wavy up there, it doesn't bother us.

Hope that helps. Safe Journeys. Paul

I love aft cabins. Of course, it is better to be on a balcony at the real aft, but those opportunities don't happen often. But they seem quieter and have less motion than forward cabins. Walking distance depends on where you are going. Some locations are convenient: others not so much, but I figure we walk off a few calories. And they are a little cheaper. I know I never want a forward cabin again, but then again we were in a forward cabin on a transplanting during Hurricane Sandy.

Really appreciate the info on this thread as we've just booked a forward (very!) balcony on the Royal in October, Southern Caribbean. Now plan to call our TA tomorrow & change as I was seasick on the Celebrity Silhouette in pretty calm seas, any more motion would ruin my trip! Worth paying a bit more if I have to if it means avoiding being sick :eek:

We are just off the Regal and we were in A230-Deck 12 near the front. We could feel the movement of the ship every night. It was enough on one night to wake me up. Being as this was my first cruise i was surprised the ship moved this much even in the lower decks.

True AFT Verandahs are the most coveted stateroom locations on the ship! You get a little extra exercise,180 degree view, additional privacy and the spectacular view of the wake as well as the "white noise" provided by the wake.

The only noise or vibration come from the engine's thrusters when navigating in / out of port. This is my favorite ship location when booked approximately 1 year in advance.

Lido deck is so much fun! Other than the occasional excursion and evening dining which require the access/use of an elevator, you can casual dine and play everyday without leaving behind your stateroom.

Remember the rule.....lower and midship are ideal for those with weak stomachs, the rest, is for each individual to decide on their own based upon preference.

My suggestion, have an A & B stateroom location universal with most ships when booking and go from there. Ships today are designed in such way that motion may be regulated more by mother nature, not from the ship itself.

Have a wonderful cruise!:)