For those who do not like the fact that DSC is 100% Discretionary...

LoveyHowell

NCL should pay a decent wage to staff. If that means upping prices to include gratuities, fair enough. No more stiffing. No more threads about 18% service charges on drinks or meals.

I agree 100%. Pay the crew what a days pay is worth, raise the fare to cover it. Then if I want to tip a person I can knowing they will get it.

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

It is the cruise line policy that DSC is 100% discretionary. If you think this allows people to make unethical choices which you disagree with, why do you continue to patronize NCL and not a different line which would not allow this to happen?

It is quite easy to see the disdain some posters have for this policy. Why continue to tolerate this policy when you do not have to?

The Constitution guarantees everyone freedom of speech. That doesn't mean I have to agree with everything I read or hear. The internet, in particular, has provided a voice for some people with no ethics or integrity to be heard. That's the price we pay to have choices. Should I move to another country?

The DSC is discretionary to allow someone to adjust it in the event service expectations are not met. If people choose to adjust it or remove it for other reasons that's their choice and they have to justify it in their own mind.

There are cruiselines with all inclusive fees, or non-refundable service fees. Why do you continue to cruise with a line that has a policy you clearly do not support. Instead of complaining about "cheapos" why not put your money where your mouth is and support a company whose policies more closely align with what you consider to be the right thing to do?

I just don't understand people getting so mad about other people choosing something NCL allows, complaining daily about it, and doing absolutely nothing about it.

And since the DSC is 100% discretionary at a guest wishes no excuses or justifications need be made with NCL. "Please take this charge off" is the only thing required. A thank you is nice as well, I admit.

I sail NCL for freestyle dining, low prices, and a 20 minute drive to the port. People who stiff innocent workers, folks that kick dogs, drivers who don't yield to pedestrians - always going to be losers out there!

I plan on requesting them to remove the DSC and on my future cruises to directly support the services I actually patronize: I can't swim (along with more severe issues related to chlorinated pools), I don't like people touching things in my room and usually leave DND up, and I didn't even know where the sporting facilities were until my last day.

I think you would have to be very stupid not to know what a DSC, tip or whatever you call it is and I don't believe for one minute that MOST people do not know this.

i try and give people the benefit of the doubt. but again, if anyone removes its their right. its not like im going to pay their DSC for them! :eek:

i would never remove the DSC. but if i did its my business. i would only do so for bad service everywhere. ive only had bad service once, that was on royal Caribbean. i didn't remove it then, but i did let them know on the comment card they gave me in the room. that hurts more than removing the tip!

There are cruiselines with all inclusive fees, or non-refundable service fees. Why do you continue to cruise with a line that has a policy you clearly do not support. Instead of complaining about "cheapos" why not put your money where your mouth is and support a company whose policies more closely align with what you consider to be the right thing to do?

I just don't understand people getting so mad about other people choosing something NCL allows, complaining daily about it, and doing absolutely nothing about it.

And since the DSC is 100% discretionary at a guest wishes no excuses or justifications need be made with NCL. "Please take this charge off" is the only thing required. A thank you is nice as well, I admit.

100% agreed !

Because they wanted to complain, vent, etc. even though they don't like NCL policy :D

I think you would have to be very stupid not to know what a DSC, tip or whatever you call it is and I don't believe for one minute that MOST people do not know this.

You'll be surprise - Not too many people know that NCL was a website that you can book directly and learn about their policies. Or even know what Cruise Critic is, or that one can prepay DSC / UDP / UBP / shore excursions before boarding. Like tiffygirl said, got give benefit of the doubt to other passengers on a NCL ship.

100% agreed !

Because they wanted to complain, vent, etc. even though they don't like NCL policy :D

My problem is not with the policy - my problem is with other cruisers that 1) claim they tip out of pocket when they remove it but its obvious they don't and 2) complainers regarding anything are so loud you can sometimes hear them 1st before seeing them - I should not be able to hear crystal clear anyone's conversations on the other side on the port side of a large sundeck while I'm on the starboard side; that's how loud some complainers are!

I think you're wrong. I think that the average person, who thinks that everything is covered in their trip cost, believes just that.

There's sooo much talk on CC about the DSC. I might as well throw my 2 cents in here.. I've been on 5 NCL cruises. I have never adjusted/removed my DSC. I always leave it in place, and also tip cash to those that go the extra mile, I'm definitely an over tipper.. HOWEVER .. I have no problem with the people that do adjust/remove the DSC.. know why? Cause it's their CHOICE! What ever happen to "to each his own" or "live and let live"... Listen, you may not agree with someone removing their DSC, but frankly it's not your business. As humans, we are free to make our own personal decisions. I can't understand why so many people think they can dictate how others run their lives. People need to seriously stop worrying about what everyone else is doing, and worry about yourself. People on here that have admitted to removing the DSC have gotten torn apart. It's not your money people, you make your decisions, and let others make theirs. I'm not saying that removing the DSC is right/fair/appropriate but as long as NCL gives that CHOICE, people are free to do as they please.

End of rant :D:D:D

It seems some posters have a real issue with DSC on NCL being discretionary and the fact that it can be removed by the guest just for asking without the need to provide any reason whatsover. If it bothers you so much...why continue to patronize a company with policies you do not like?

There are other lines that have all inclusive charges. Or, for example, you can sail with Royal Caribbean which will make you pre-pay gratuities to use their version of Freestyle dining and it is non-refundable no matter the quality of service.

I ask this because whenever NCL changes a policy and people voice concerns or complaints, the standard answer by many is if you don't like the policy, don't pay NCL for a vacation. Well, the question is back to those same people - If you want a company that does not allows DSC to be a discretionary fee, why are you still with NCL?

Because they just have to judge what other do.

None of their _____ business! :mad:

There's sooo much talk on CC about the DSC. I might as well throw my 2 cents in here.. I've been on 5 NCL cruises. I have never adjusted/removed my DSC. I always leave it in place, and also tip cash to those that go the extra mile, I'm definitely an over tipper.. HOWEVER .. I have no problem with the people that do adjust/remove the DSC.. know why? Cause it's their CHOICE! What ever happen to "to each his own" or "live and let live"... Listen, you may not agree with someone removing their DSC, but frankly it's not your business. As humans, we are free to make our own personal decisions. I can't understand why so many people think they can dictate how others run their lives. People need to seriously stop worrying about what everyone else is doing, and worry about yourself. People on here that have admitted to removing the DSC have gotten torn apart. It's not your money people, you make your decisions, and let others make theirs. I'm not saying that removing the DSC is right/fair/appropriate but as long as NCL gives that CHOICE, people are free to do as they please.

End of rant :D:D:D

Wow! 1000% agreed!

It's not your money. Others can spend their money how they wanted and it's none of anyone business!

[quote name='maywell'] <snip>You'll be surprise - Not too many people know that NCL has a website that you can book directly and learn about their policies. [/quote]

Poppycock. Anyone who gets online knows that cruise lines would have to have web sites full of information.

[quote name='SAILPRO']Wow! 1000% agreed!
It's not your money. Others can spend their money how they wanted and it's none of anyone business![/QUOTE]

Fine - as long we'll all in agreement that people can agree to disagree aka stop looking for other posters to wholly agree / approve with you that removing / reducing or keeping / paying the DSC. Because that exactly what the issue is with the discussion of it on CC - someone posts an opinion about it, some agree, others disagree with some of the disagreeing posters getting nasty and getting personal and vice versa; then it snowballs into something ugly and the thread gets deleted. Probably the same fate for this thread, as long as everyone (past and future post responders) can keep it civil.

[quote name='ColinIllinois']Poppycock. Anyone who gets online knows that cruise lines would have to have web sites full of information.[/QUOTE]

No joke, at the beauty salon and supermarket couple of weeks back - "I didn't know Norwegian had a website, i just book with my travel agent"; me: "Umm...they do, its ncl.com....". Yeah, gotta give benefit of the doubt, not everyone is smart like us...:o:(

[quote name='Cruiser Bruiser']Since I don't work for NCL and I don't have any control over the policies NCL implements, I don't have any choice but to "tolerate" the policy.[B] I have a choice to object to the policy, but I don't.[/B]

The policy exists to supplement crew compensation. The alternative is for NCL to not charge a DSC but to instead increase the base fare. I would support NCL doing so because I believe that the crew aboard the ships deserve the level of compensation they receive, if not more.[/QUOTE]

This is the most important thing you said!

I think the OP is just trolling a bit here. Since the other threads have started to die down a bit, it's time to start another dispute.
The OP starts this off with a false argument. The typical dispute about this whole topic is not about whether you can remove the DSC, of course you can and always have been able to. Not one of the DSC supporters has ever, that I have seen, disputed NCL right to manage DSC as they wish, so no dispute with NCL at all. Most of the discussion comes down to doing "the right thing". Which for most means taking care of the staff. There has yet to be a solid argument for removing the DSC for no reason, other than the fact that "I can". There typically are two reasons for removing the DSC across the board. One is because I can. The other is because you're cheap. There is no other reason, adjusting it a bit for a service issue does not count. If there is a legitimate service issue that you address that is not resolved, then of course it can and should be adjusted. Stopping my sailing with NCL would never come into play, the only reason to even argue this whole subject is I think we all hope we could convince people to support the staff. If you refuse to pay, I can't change it. All I can do is feel bad for the poor staff that are being stiffed by those who are too cheap to support their hard work.

[quote name='LMaxwell']I think the policy is fine as is. [B]As a consumer I should always be able to reserve the right to adjust a service charge. I do so based on quality of services, which is how I believe it is intended to be used. [/B] [B]mainly because I don't care what strangers do with their money.[/B][/QUOTE]

This is good stuff!