For those who do not like the fact that DSC is 100% Discretionary...

LoveyHowell

[quote name='maywell']Umm, you do know you have to tip for kids especially if their dining at the restaurant, right? That's a least a $1-2 per kid...But that's your money, belief system and whatever floats your boat.[/QUOTE]

Umm, I did say they don't tip. Can't trust them with money at this point.

Also who says I "have to"?

On land the tip is based on the entire cost of the meal (10-15-20% - depending)

at sea it's based on an arbitrary number made up by a corporate entity and divided however they choose.

But that's their money, belief system and whatever floats their boat.

[quote name='triptolemus']Sorry, but no restaurant I have ever worked in tipped out the janitor or the cook or the dishwasher...(you weren't required to tip the hostess, but you'd do well to bribe her)... bus boys and bartenders, yes, but not the friggin'' pest control guy.

Having worked in one establishment which did pool tips, I can tell you unequivocally that those programs do not see 100% of the tips a server or FOH bartender receives.[/QUOTE]Who said anything about the pest control guy. If I knew that restaurant had a pest control guy on staff, trust me, I would be telling the world, because that is a really, really big red flag. Hopefully, you never ate the food in that restaurant you worked in.

Sorry, that you worked for a restaurant that didn't give you all the tips that you received, thankfully most are not like that. Edited by NLH Arizona

[quote name='mlsetc']We rarely use room service, so the charge doesn't affect us[/QUOTE]

No, if you never used room service, the charge wouldn't affect you.

But as you suggest you rarely use, which implies you have and might again, then the fee would affect you in some way.

Its your choice how it affects you and no one else's.

[quote name='backsbanny']maywell do you tip the flight stewardess when you fly and provide a good service to you??or the guys that put the luggage on the aircraft for you??? or the check in agent who gives you the boarding pass? i am just wondering![/QUOTE]

The flight steward(ress) for bring a soda / drink - don't you? I also tip my hair braidist / stylist for doing my hair, especially if they do it in record time plus the guy for bagging my groceries at the supermarket - got a problem with that?

wow you tip the flight stewardess???buddy if you ever come to greece dont you do that..you will be charged for harassment and the stewardess will feel really really offended by that..oh my god there is such a big culture difference sometimes between usa and europe!!!

[quote name='maywell']The flight steward(ress) for bring a soda / drink - don't you? I also tip my hair braidist / stylist for doing my hair, especially if they do it in record time plus the guy for bagging my groceries at the supermarket - got a problem with that?[/QUOTE]

Nope, I sure don't it's your money and you can choose to tip or not to tip, to DSC or not to DSC if you choose to.

But so do the rest of us.

You also have the right to say you don't approve of our tipping style and we have the right not to listen or care what you say about it.

[quote name='backsbanny']wow you tip the flight stewardess???buddy if you ever come to greece dont you do that..you will be charged for harassment and the stewardess will feel really really offended by that..oh my god there is such a big culture difference sometimes between usa and europe!!![/QUOTE]

Sure is...you guys are terrible tippers! :cool:

[quote name='legion3']Umm, I did say they don't tip. Can't trust them with money at this point.

Also who says I "have to"?

On land the tip is based on the entire cost of the meal (10-15-20% - depending)

at sea it's based on an arbitrary number made up by a corporate entity and divided however they choose.

But that's their money, belief system and whatever floats their boat.[/QUOTE]

Also, remember the tipping at some land restaurants is $x per person - I basically pay like $10 minimum especially for family (gotta feed the nieces and nephews) and I'm usually taking like 4 -6 at a time. If the kids were like under 3, then I could see why you wouldn't tip for them but their older using the plates / utensils and being waited on - Like mjkacmom said, you sound like you like the rush of being a big tipper but you're actually a small tipper in practice. Like you said you you tip your way, i will tip my way - Even Stevens. Edited by maywell

[quote name='maywell']Also, [B]remember the tipping at some land restaurants is $x per person [/B]- I basically pay like $10 minimum especially for family (gotta feed the nieces and nephews) and I'm usually taking like 4 -6 at a time. If the kids were like under 3, then I could see why you wouldn't tip for them but their older using the plates / utensils and being waited on - Like mjkacmom said, you sound like you like the rush of being a big tipper but you're actually a small tipper in practice.[/QUOTE]

Not sure what your saying? If my bill, including my kids costs is say $50 then I will tip (10-15-20%) of that amount. This is tipping? No?

By the way which land restaurants have this, [QUOTE] remember the tipping at some land restaurants is $x per person [/QUOTE] as a requirement?

Well I will say that this thread is entertaining and everyone who has set the tipping record straight deserves a tip, just a little something for a job well done! Edited by legion3

[quote name='legion3']Not sure what your saying? If my bill, including my kids costs is say $50 then I will tip (10-15-20%) of that amount. This is tipping? No?

By the way which land restaurants have this, as a requirement?[/QUOTE]

Majority of the restaurant in the outer boroughs of NY are $x per person (usually about $2-3 per person), unless otherwise stated on the receipt what the gratuity rate is.

[quote name='maywell']Majority of the restaurant in the outer boroughs of NY are $x per person (usually about $2-3 per person), unless otherwise stated on the receipt what the gratuity rate is.[/QUOTE]

Is it built into the check?

Or is it recommended to tip this way?

What if I refuse to tip that way?

Is tipping mandatory?

You know that New York City and it's boroughs are not typical of much of the rest of the country.

[quote name='backsbanny']wow you tip the flight stewardess???buddy if you ever come to greece dont you do that..you will be charged for harassment and the stewardess will feel really really offended by that..oh my god there is such a big culture difference sometimes between usa and europe!!![/QUOTE]

They're called flight attendants here, and I've never tipped them. However, I give the porters $2 per bag at the airport, more to the bellman at the hotel for handling my luggage. A few bucks to the valet if parking and/or retrieving my car, same to the employee calling me a cab, tip up to the cab driver, $1 pp per day for hotel housekeeping, a few bucks for room service, or for extra pillows/blankets/towels. 18% - 20% at restaurants, $1 or $2 for each drink at the bar.

[quote name='maywell']Your country's fiscal trouble also bring alot of demonstrations right now, and me, not looking to be a punching bag over there for looking different....[/QUOTE]

we never punch people here if they look different.do not worry.you will have a great time if you come to greece.actually we are very friendly with americans we like your country a lot

[quote name='legion3']Is it built into the check?

Or is it recommended to tip this way?

What if I refuse to tip that way?

Is tipping mandatory?

You know that New York City and it's boroughs are not typical of much of the rest of the country.[/QUOTE]

Its not built into the check unless the restaurant policy has a policy regarding party of 8 or more. (that rule applies to all of NYC regarding built into the check)

Its recommended to tip that way for the most of outer boroughs, for Manhattan and some restaurants in outer boroughs its the 15% policy.

Tipping is not mandatory but it would be smart to tip for good service and/or if you plan to eat at the same place again. if you didn't tip the 1st time around and you go again, just double the tip to server(s), apologize you didn't know or well, let's not go there....

if you dont tip so much as you say in your first visit then whats going to happen on the next one???are they going to spit on your food??or not serve you at all?? i am just wondering...i dont know about us restaurants a lot..ive only been to the states 2 times

[quote name='backsbanny']if you dont tip so much as you say in your first visit then whats going to happen on the next one???are they going to spit on your food??or not serve you at all?? i am just wondering...i dont know about us restaurants a lot..ive only been to the states 2 times[/QUOTE]

More like Crummy service - don't expect to get your food quickly no matter how many other patrons are there....Spitting is more reserved for fast food restaurants like McDonald's... Edited by maywell

[quote name='LoveyHowell']Six pages and no one has answered the question yet.[/QUOTE]

it was answered on page 3.

Edit: And no I'm being snarky, its literally on page 3. Edited by maywell

[quote name='rvsullivan']I think the OP is just trolling a bit here. Since the other threads have started to die down a bit, it's time to start another dispute.
The OP starts this off with a false argument. The typical dispute about this whole topic is not about whether you can remove the DSC, of course you can and always have been able to. [B]Not one of the DSC supporters has ever, that I have seen, disputed NCL right to manage DSC as they wish, so no dispute with NCL at all.[/B] Most of the discussion comes down to doing "the right thing". Which for most means taking care of the staff. There has yet to be a solid argument for removing the DSC for no reason, other than the fact that "I can". There typically are two reasons for removing the DSC across the board. One is because I can. The other is because you're cheap. There is no other reason, adjusting it a bit for a service issue does not count. If there is a legitimate service issue that you address that is not resolved, then of course it can and should be adjusted. Stopping my sailing with NCL would never come into play, the only reason to even argue this whole subject is I think we all hope we could convince people to support the staff. If you refuse to pay, I can't change it. All I can do is feel bad for the poor staff that are being stiffed by those who are too cheap to support their hard work.[/QUOTE]

there you go.

[quote name='maywell']it was answered on page 3.

Edit: And no I'm being snarky, its literally on page 3.[/QUOTE]
On page 3 you said you have no problem with the policy. I think your subsequent posts paint a different picture altogether. Clearly you take offense to people removing DSC at their discretion. If it bothers you very much why not take a cruise line where the service fees are baked in and/or not refundable?

[quote name='backsbanny']the point of the post is in my opinion that the dsc is discretionary and anybody is entitled to do whatever fits him right with the dsc..its fairly obvious i suppose[/QUOTE]

You're pretty close to X marks the spot. But even going beyond that I am asking why people continue to spend money with a company that has policies they dislike.

When ROOM service fee was added people said if you don't like it, go elsewhere. Then they held up the NCL contract that says NCL can change anything it wants. So NCL is right. But when someone mentions DSC and references that same exact contract, they are wrong. The contract is wrong. People make up new wording to support their stance. Doing something allowed by the Co tract is wrong. They hate that people do it. Cheapskate scumbag. Toad. They are sure no one tips cash even though a cash tip was de rigeur for many generactions.

Yet...they continue to sail NCL. Or cash pay checks from them possibly