For those who do not like the fact that DSC is 100% Discretionary...

LoveyHowell

It seems some posters have a real issue with DSC on NCL being discretionary and the fact that it can be removed by the guest just for asking without the need to provide any reason whatsover. If it bothers you so much...why continue to patronize a company with policies you do not like?

There are other lines that have all inclusive charges. Or, for example, you can sail with Royal Caribbean which will make you pre-pay gratuities to use their version of Freestyle dining and it is non-refundable no matter the quality of service.

I ask this because whenever NCL changes a policy and people voice concerns or complaints, the standard answer by many is if you don't like the policy, don't pay NCL for a vacation. Well, the question is back to those same people - If you want a company that does not allows DSC to be a discretionary fee, why are you still with NCL?

It is quite easy to see the disdain some posters have for this policy. Why continue to tolerate this policy when you do not have to?

The disdain is not for the policy. It is for the choices that some people make within the bounds of that policy.

Analogy: I support freedom of speech. I do not support everything that everyone says.

It is quite easy to see the disdain some posters have for this policy. Why continue to tolerate this policy when you do not have to?

Since I don't work for NCL and I don't have any control over the policies NCL implements, I don't have any choice but to "tolerate" the policy. I have a choice to object to the policy, but I don't.

The policy exists to supplement crew compensation. The alternative is for NCL to not charge a DSC but to instead increase the base fare. I would support NCL doing so because I believe that the crew aboard the ships deserve the level of compensation they receive, if not more.

The disdain is not for the policy. It is for the choices that some people make within the bounds of that policy.

Analogy: I support freedom of speech. I do not support everything that everyone says.

So you support a policy that allows DSC to be 100% discretionary.

It is the cruise line policy that DSC is 100% discretionary. If you think this allows people to make unethical choices which you disagree with, why do you continue to patronize NCL and not a different line which would not allow this to happen?

The verbiage NCL uses states that it may be removed if there has been a service problem which has not been fixed. The Discretionary part refers to how NCL chooses to distribute the fees. No where does it state that customers can change or remove the charge, for any reason they wish. Only a cheapskate would have that interpretation.

The verbiage NCL uses states that it may be removed if there has been a service problem which has not been fixed. The Discretionary part refers to how NCL chooses to distribute the fees. No where does it state that customers can change or remove the charge, for any reason they wish. Only a cheapskate would have that interpretation.

The Guest Ticket Contract clearly states "the charge is subject to adjustment at your discretion". And that is ALL it says.

http://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/Guest_Ticket_Contract_03_2014.pdf

dsc money is not money going to the crew for sure nobody knows maybe a very small portion of it goes and thats ncls business what they do with it..i dont care about this anymore..its very straight forward...you want to pay dsc??pay it...you dont want to??dont pay it..i have already prepaid my dsc for all the past cruises...i lost my trust on ncl so from now on no more dsc for me and you all know why???because thats how i feel like whether you like it or not!!!

The majority of the folks on this board perceive that practice as being in incredibly poor taste, as it lessens the overall compensation of the hard-working crew.

The policy exists to supplement crew compensation. The alternative is for NCL to not charge a DSC but to instead increase the base fare.

NCL should pay a decent wage to staff. If that means upping prices to include gratuities, fair enough. No more stiffing. No more threads about 18% service charges on drinks or meals.

I think the policy is fine as is. As a consumer I should always be able to reserve the right to adjust a service charge. I do so based on quality of services, which is how I believe it is intended to be used. But it is true, it can be adjusted at guest discretion and you don't need an unresolved issue in order to do it. I wouldn't remove it "just because", and I'd try to resolve service issues, but I would not sail on a line that gave me NO choice in the matter.

Seems like those that have a problem, the "it's not the policy, it's the other people" just can't handle others not doing things their way. If someone wants to just remove it for the sake of removing it, there is nothing I can do about that. The company allows it. I also spend about 0.001% of my vacation time at guest services, less if I can help it, and I don't eavesdrop or stalk people to find out what they are doing, mainly because I don't care what strangers do with their money.

Took the words right out of my mouth - the way NCL is setup, you're better off paying the DSC then bringing so many $1 and $5 because you're going to tipping pretty much every staff member you see. The DSC covers alot of staff and if you don't like that DSC is paying the laundry people and bathroom attendants. go cruise on another line. And if you can't afford the $12.95 -14.95 per person DSC; then yes, please find another line to cruise on.

If the service was completely crummy from top to bottom, by all means, removing / reducing it. But if its because you can't afford it or don't want to pay it by what deem in the reservation / contract - then yes, you deserve to be called a cheapskate.

The Guest Ticket Contract clearly states "the charge is subject to adjustment at your discretion". And that is ALL it says.

http://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/Guest_Ticket_Contract_03_2014.pdf

Read section 2 of the contract and here's the brochure:

http://www.ncl.com/faq#service-charge

Edited by maywell

Removing the DSC just because you can is like going to a restaurant, and stiffing the server, just because you can. There is no difference. If you can't afford to tip the server, you can't afford to eat at the restaurant. If you don't like the whole tipping pay structure, don't eat at restaurants where servers rely on tips for a salary (ie - most US restaurants).

If you don't like the DSC, just cruise lines that don't have it - but, you know you will be paying more upfront, right? The only way to have the least expensive cruise, and not have to pay a DSC, is to stiff the staff, which is exactly what you are doing if you remove the DSC.

Took the words right out of my mouth - the way NCL is setup, you're better off paying the DSC then bringing so many $1 and $5 because you're going to tipping pretty much every staff member you see. The DSC covers alot of staff and if you don't like that DSC is paying the laundry people and bathroom attendants. go cruise on another line. And if you can't afford the $12.95 -14.95 per person DSC; then yes, please find another line to cruise on.

If the service was completely crummy from top to bottom, by all means, removing / reducing it. But if its because you can't afford it or don't want to pay it by what deem in the reservation / contract - then yes, you deserve to be called a cheapskate.

It does not say removable for only a service problem. On the FAQ that is one example stated. The guest ticket contract, which supersedes the website FAQ anyways, says the charge is discretionary.

If you do not support the fact that it is 100% discretionary you should not pay NCL for a vacation. Take your money to a company that has policies you approve of.

Maybe you just like to have a reason to be judgmental of people.

Removing the DSC just because you can is like going to a restaurant, and stiffing the server, just because you can. There is no difference. If you can't afford to tip the server, you can't afford to eat at the restaurant. If you don't like the whole tipping pay structure, don't eat at restaurants where servers rely on tips for a salary (ie - most US restaurants).

If you don't like the DSC, just cruise lines that don't have it - but, you know you will be paying more upfront, right? The only way to have the least expensive cruise, and not have to pay a DSC, is to stiff the staff, which is exactly what you are doing if you remove the DSC.

You continue to support NCL, even though you clearly disagree with the policy of DSC being discretionary. Why do you continue to spend money with NCL if you do not agree with their policy?

What is truly funny is that those who like to or claim to remove the DSC are always the ones looking for people to agree with them. (and in reality it is the same 5 - 10 people over and over again).

Most of us don't really give a crap what they do, but we will voice our opinion when asked. When the opinion is not what they want to hear, then they get all bent out of shape.

Most of us with half a brain, just take the cost of the DSC into consideration when we decide whether or not we can afford to cruise or if the cruise is a price that we deem reasonable and willing to pay.

If the cheapskates that remove the DSC ever amount to anything more than an insignificant minority, the policy will end up being changed.

It does not say removable for only a service problem. On the FAQ that is one example stated. The guest ticket contract, which supersedes the website FAQ anyways, says the charge is discretionary.

If you do not support the fact that it is 100% discretionary you should not pay NCL for a vacation. Take your money to a company that has policies you approve of.

Maybe you just like to have a reason to be judgmental of people.

Or maybe I can't stand cheapskate whiners on my vacation while I'm having a drink on the sundeck. Because whiners like to talk aloud enough for everyone with headphones-on trying to ignore their talk, to hear them. That's one of the reasons why I'm not heading back to Carnival no time soon.

You continue to support NCL, even though you clearly disagree with the policy of DSC being discretionary. Why do you continue to spend money with NCL if you do not agree with their policy?

The same way I support restaurants, even though customers are certainly legally able to not tip the servers. There are always a handful of cheapos out there, nothing I can really do about it. They will always justify stiffing staff.

The same way I support restaurants, even though customers are certainly legally able to not tip the servers. There are always a handful of cheapos out there, nothing I can really do about it. They will always justify stiffing staff.

There are cruiselines with all inclusive fees, or non-refundable service fees. Why do you continue to cruise with a line that has a policy you clearly do not support. Instead of complaining about "cheapos" why not put your money where your mouth is and support a company whose policies more closely align with what you consider to be the right thing to do?

I just don't understand people getting so mad about other people choosing something NCL allows, complaining daily about it, and doing absolutely nothing about it.

And since the DSC is 100% discretionary at a guest wishes no excuses or justifications need be made with NCL. "Please take this charge off" is the only thing required. A thank you is nice as well, I admit.

i had a discussion with a cousin that sailed her first cruise. her boyfriend (ist time cruiser) suprised her so she had no idea she was cruising until they showed up at the ship.

She said she removed the service charges. i asked why? she said she didnt know what it was for so she told them to remove it.

i said you have just screwed your room steward, ect. I explained to her what they were for. She covered her hand with her mouth and looked at me in horror. she said she had no clue. she felt absolutely horrible.

i think a lot of people don't know what the charges are for. they just book a cruise and not aware of what's included or what charges are additional. most big name travel sites do not talk or explain about the DSC. So when they get a the final bill they remove it thinking its a "service charge".