New Room Service Menus - Large and Legible (huge pics)

triptolemus

To me the new room service charge seems like it will only increase food waste. People are not going to order just a single item like they might have when it was free. Now they will order a whole bunch of stuff to justify the room service charge, and much of it will probably go to waste.

Not a good policy IMO.

The way around this would be to eliminate the flat fee and charge a la carte for individual items, of course that would piss off people even more.

Edited by eroller

eroller:

I agree! I paid for it (kinda) so I can waste it. So true. I've held back from asking people at breakfast who don't eat what's on their plate and reload. :mad:

Exactly. It's an interesting policy change as generally cruise lines are doing everything possible to decrease food waste. Things like decreasing portion size, eliminating midnight buffets, and even having staff dish out some items at the buffet (such as bacon which is also expensive). This room service fee seems counterproductive to those efforts.

To me the new room service charge seems like it will only increase food waste. People are not going to order just a single item like they might have when it was free. Now they will order a whole bunch of stuff to justify the room service charge, and much of it will probably go to waste.

Not a good policy IMO.

The way around this would be to eliminate the flat fee and charge a la carte for individual items, of course that would piss off people even more.

Its a food waste with an actual fee - so if customer doesn't eat it all, that's on them and not technically NCL since they charge now.....

Im sorry I left out the <saracsm> </sarcasm> tags.

It is kinda humorous that they didn't get that the auto tip is less than $1, than the 'normal' cash tips of a full $1 or $2 or $3. <sarcasm> If less than a dollar tipfor $4.95 order is going to ruin a trip even further, I guess it is an inconvenience to order room service, lol. </sarcasm>

Agree - $4.95 room delivery for 3 of us to have a meal in the room suits me fine. Hotels you pay delivery fee plus pay for the food.

Agree too that when I booked and paid for our cruise it was free but oh well. Will continue to cruise NCL.. Will be onboard in a few weeks - curious too see if on Pearl by then or not.

People who go on about Hotels charging for room service just don't get cruising. Unfortunately the whole industry is being ruined by the same folks, who just accept what the likes of NCL roll out. Years of great cruising just being wrecked by, well I won't say it as I'll probably be accused of racism.

People who go on about Hotels charging for room service just don't get cruising. Unfortunately the whole industry is being ruined by the same folks, who just accept what the likes of NCL roll out. Years of great cruising just being wrecked by, well I won't say it as I'll probably be accused of racism.
Times change. I'm showing my age, but I remember when hotels didn't have a service charge and/or delivery charge for room service.

Times change. I'm showing my age, but I remember when hotels didn't have a service charge and/or delivery charge for room service.

You're right. Maybe I too am showing my age, and getting grumpy with it. I guess I should just go with the flow, and accept things for what they are.

I'm gonna get into vacation mode now, only a few weeks to go.

I've been on CC since we booked last year and I've found it to be a great resource. A lot of great tips and advice for a "first time cruiser" like myself.

It's posts like yours that I find elitist,insulting and offensive. You feel "wronged" by NCL and that's your right but to say that "others" are ruining cruising for you is nonsense. YOU are ruining cruising for yourself by believing that NCL or any other cruise line is your "friend" because you may or may not have booked for years with them.

NCL is a business and as such they are going to do whatever they feel will increase their bottom line. As I've stated in the other 500 threads on this topic you as a customer have a choice to book with NCL or not in the future.

You also still have the choice of using RS or not. NCL has merely added a cost for doing so.

NCL changed the rules and while it may not have been the right way to go about it they felt that the pros for this "trial program" on the BA and GA outweighed the cons. If anyone here believes that NCL didn't perform due diligence on how this would affect the customer base then they have no idea how big business works.

This isn't some conspiracy to push out "long time savvy" veteran cruisers like some seem to think. It's a business decision plain and simple. It will either succeed or fail and NCL will adjust accordingly.

Lastly. while I disagree with quite a few of the people on this topic I still hope that everyone enjoys their cruise. I also know that at some point i may or may not agree with the very same people I don't agree with right now so for me it's "no harm, no foul"

CC is great and I will continue to use it as an asset when researching any future cruises.

TheCapt

I LIKE THIS! For only $4.95 I can have food for four delivered to my cabin! Between us that will be a pizza, four burgers, two BLTs, and a few side items! In a heart beat I would pay $4.95 for the convenience of sitting on my butt out on my balcony while someone else brings us all food.

I agree. Having been on the Dawn a few weeks ago, I would have been very happy with this menu and the cost of 4.95. The new dining room menus were amazingly successful, so if they could pull off that quality on room service, I would partake.

You're right. Maybe I too am showing my age, and getting grumpy with it. I guess I should just go with the flow, and accept things for what they are.

I'm gonna get into vacation mode now, only a few weeks to go.

Hey, have a wonderful vacation and don't let anything ruin it, because life is too short. Just like this issue, things come and things go!

I don't get the logic in the previous post. Prior to the change, the $5 RS fee was included in your cruise fee.

Also, is pizza now $5 plus the 4.95 fee? = 10 bucks??? I always felt as if the $5 pizza was a "test" of the market to see if ppl would pay additional for RS. I guess ncl is trying to implement the results of their pilot study...smh...

I'm trying to remain a trooper. I was turned off when I read review from guest on the gem in Nov 2014. ncl decided to close areas and upgrade the shop while cruising and without prior notification of passengers. This is more of the same!

I LIKE THIS! For only $4.95 I can have food for four delivered to my cabin! Between us that will be a pizza, four burgers, two BLTs, and a few side items! In a heart beat I would pay $4.95 for the convenience of sitting on my butt out on my balcony while someone else brings us all food.

I have to agree with you so much!!!! Thank you from the bottom of my heart!!!!

I don't get the logic in the previous post. Prior to the change, the $5 RS fee was included in your cruise fee.

Also, is pizza now $5 plus the 4.95 fee? = 10 bucks??? I always felt as if the $5 pizza was a "test" of the market to see if ppl would pay additional for RS. I guess ncl is trying to implement the results of their pilot study...smh...

I'm trying to remain a trooper. I was turned off when I read review from guest on the gem in Nov 2014. ncl decided to close areas and upgrade the shop while cruising and without prior notification of passengers. This is more of the same!

Many RS questions still unanswered. So do they add the $7.95 convenience fee to the $5.00 pizzas, making the total $12.95, plus of course the 18% gratuity and service charge fee on the total? But, if you order your pizza from somewhere else on the ship, like the pool deck, you would only incur the $5.00 charge?

And what about if you order your sandwich after 12am. Is it 7.95 plus the fee for wee hour orders ( 3.95?) tacked on? Plus the 18% auto grat of course on all the fees.