Buying cigarettes

They do sell cartons in the duty free shop but not for consumption on board. Your purchase is held and delivered to your stateroom on the last night. Not sure of the exact cost but it's about $35/carton if you purchase the two carton special.

They do sell cartons in the duty free shop but not for consumption on board. Your purchase is held and delivered to your stateroom on the last night. Not sure of the exact cost but it's about $35/carton if you purchase the two carton special.

Wow, really, when did they start that? I have quit smoking, but on all my previous cruises where I was smoking, we bought the cartons and were given them right then and there for immediate use.

I have also noticed lately the cost has risen to a point where it was only slightly cheaper to buy them on board. Of course, the cost savings is directly proportional to where one lives.

Edited by OKC Cruisers

I was a Marlboro Menthol smoker, but after looking at the prices and smoking the alternatives I have become a convert.

Now it is Pall Mall Menthol 100's.

At the unheard of price of $20 a carton.

If you are on an Eastern Caribbean cruise you can buy 5 cartons legally.

FYI: Back in the 50's when I first started smoking Pall Mall's sold for 26 cents a pack.

Unless what you say is very new....

We brought back cigs from the duty free shop onboard and we carried them away back to our cabin.......oh............we dont smoke, we brought them back for a family member that does(supporting their habit).

Later

That's what I love about this and any forum. All the miss information of people who think they are in the know.. Of course you can smoke them. They don't hold them.. Buy. 5 cartons smoke 4 and you are down to the one allowed.

That's what I love about this and any forum. All the miss information of people who think they are in the know.. Of course you can smoke them. They don't hold them.. Buy. 5 cartons smoke 4 and you are down to the one allowed.

Referring to post #2 I am assuming;)

• 11 months later...
just wondering if you can still buy cigarettes in duty free and consume onboard? Taking a group trip on the Oasis and it was a question posed to me!!

Thanks

Yes, no problem.

I was a Marlboro Menthol smoker, but after looking at the prices and smoking the alternatives I have become a convert.

FYI: Back in the 50's when I first started smoking Pall Mall's sold for 26 cents a pack.

Hi, we were on the Regal Princess Oct. 2015. In St. Thomas, my DH bought 5 cartons as did I. After the fact, we read it has now been changed to only FOUR (4) CARTONS, p/p. Luckily, through customs, we declared the 5th carton each, explaining we did not know the change or when it occurred....Been buying 5 each the last 20 years. He was very nice and let us go through because we told him the truth.

Just a heads up! The 4 carton rule is for St. Thomas or maybe on the ship?).

Have fun :-)

Hi, we were on the Regal Princess Oct. 2015. In St. Thomas, my DH bought 5 cartons as did I. After the fact, we read it has now been changed to only FOUR (4) CARTONS, p/p. Luckily, through customs, we declared the 5th carton each, explaining we did not know the change or when it occurred....Been buying 5 each the last 20 years. He was very nice and let us go through because we told him the truth.

Just a heads up! The 4 carton rule is for St. Thomas or maybe on the ship?).

Have fun :-)

PS Does anyone know the rule for purchasing cartons of cigs on the Western Carib. route? thanks very much!

They do not hold the cigarettes until the last night of the cruise to deliver to your cabin. Liquor purchases are held until the last night...not cigarettes.

You are correct and as of Nov 2015, on Princess, we brought the cartons of cigs directly to our room. Liquor was end till end of cruise.

Also, in town in St. Thomas. they delivered "FREE" to the ship. They were held till the lat night. We asked our cabin steward to bring them to the cabin for us which he did. Worth the couple of $ not to drag down to get the 10 cartons...

Does anyone know if you buy cigarettes in Gibraltar is there a limit of what you can bring onto the ship ?

I don't believe the ship has any limit.

Edited by clarea

But ...... You are only allowed to "consume" them on your own balcony.:rolleyes:

Does anyone know if they sell cartons of cigarettes onboard the oasis at the duty free. Possibly cost of Marlboro. Thanks

If you are going to buy them and one of your ports is St Thomas,check the price on board and then when you go out in st Thomas ,right off of the dock there is a store that my wife has found them cheaper and if they are more you can still buy them on the ship.

But ...... You are only allowed to "consume" them on your own balcony.:rolleyes:

Just ask your friendly room steward to grab you an ash tray....or take one from the pool deck...always seems to be plenty out there! (Jk/src)