Rough water going to Bermuda?

Vitamin_Sea

Been on a few cruises but never Bermuda.

Never a problem with rough seas.

Are the seas to/from Bermuda considered rough or fairly smooth in July?

Leaving from Cape Liberty,

Thanks

Edited by limoguy1

Been on a few cruises but never Bermuda.

Never a problem with rough seas.

Are the seas to/from Bermuda considered rough or fairly smooth in July?

Leaving from Cape Liberty,

Thanks

Our first cruise on X was to Bermuda in July of 2013. The Atlantic was quite rough a couple of days. We've never had rough seas since that cruise.

Shawn

Going to Bermuda can be quite rough. The Atlantic Ocean is much different than the waters of the Carribean. Take some precautions against seasickness.

Bermuda is beautiful. The sand really does look pink!

Shaco

I've done this cruise several times and found that the seas can be rough at times. I've never asked the crew exactly why it takes the ship two days going south and one day returning to Bayonne NJ. I just assumed we were sailing against the Gulf Stream heading south which caused the ship to travel quite slowly bouncing us around a bit. Heading back to NJ going with the current we sailed faster and the ride was usually smoother. Just my observation with no "facts" to back it up.

Ymmv.

Edited by CHUCKIE50

I've done this cruise several times and found that the seas can be rough at times. I've never asked the crew exactly why it takes the ship two days going south and one day returning to Bayonne NJ. I just assumed we were sailing against the Gulf Stream heading south which caused the ship to travel quite slowly bouncing us around a bit. Heading back to NJ going with the current we sailed faster and the ride was usually smoother. Just my observation with no "facts" to back it up.

Ymmv.

I always thought they just traveled at different speeds. :confused:

Seas can be rough or calm at any time of the year....past performance has no bearing on what might be! It IS the Atlantic...but even the Caribbean can be rocky!

Edited by cb at sea

Ymmv.

It has to do with the docking scenario in Bermuda. the trip can be done in less time, but the Piers only fit a finite amount of boats and you can not tender in Bermuda.

I always thought they just traveled at different speeds. :confused:

Once in a while it can be rough, but for the most part its managable. The roughest seas I have ever experienced were in the Carribbean Sea while we were trying to avoid a hurricane. The second worst were in Alaska, because of a gale winds, the ship was practically on its side, and although we were not bouncing the dishes and glasses were shatering in the dining room and they were falling from the fifth floor to the fourth floor. It can happen anywhere and at any time. You will be fine, don't obsess over it, and if something happens and it gets rough, watch the crew going about there business as if nothing is wrong. When you see that you reaize they have been through much worse and if they are not panicking and running you should not be panicking and running.

On the day tht the dishes were flying around shattering the staff was calmly walking around clearing the tables and bringing out the food as if was business as usual. We asked out waiter how he stayed so calm and he started laughing. He told us this crew (Infinity) spent some of the winter sailing around south America and specifically around Cape Horn in the Drake Passage. They said after that, nothing made them nervous.

When one asks for a weather forecast (months in advance) you are only going to get anecdotal comments. So here is ours. We have spent nearly 4 years cruising on somewhere near 100 cruises (lost count years ago). The roughest seas we have ever experienced was on a NYC to Bermuda cruise on August 19, 1991! We were on the Celebrity Meridian and ran smack into Hurricane Bob (the hurricane made an unexpected turn and crossed our path) in the early morning hours only 12 hours out of NYC. The seas ran 40-55 feet all day until we finally escaped the storm around dinner time. It was so rough, and the winds so violent, that they actually used ropes to tie the outside doors closed! The only other ship caught in that storm was RCI's Nordic Prince which suffered major hull/bow damage from the powerful waves. Our ship fared much better (it had a deeper hull and was designed for heavy seas) and our only casualty was a cook who sustained serious burns from boiling water in the galley.

So, we would remind the OP that July is Hurricane season and anything can happen. Now we could also tell you about other cruises with glassy seas, but for anyone worried about weather we think the hurricane story is more interesting.

Hank

We sailed in the aftermath of a hurricane and had very rough seas on the way out--some of the roughest I have ever seen. The way back was very calm. There's just no way to know, but the potential is definitely there.

Seas can be quite rough on the Bermuda sailings. Our first sailing on the Summit the seas were so rough DH was knocked off balance causing the glass table top in our room to ding the sliding door & the entire table shattered :eek: This was at like midnight. I felt so bad waking our stateroom attendent but there was no way we couldve cleaned it all up on our own.

Theres been a few times also that theyve been so rough I've gotten motion sickness even when I've been taking dramamine.

But I've only sailed in May so I'm not sure if that has soemthing to do w/ it. Or if its just a rough ride to paradise! :p;)

Ymmv.

Has more to do with money. More time in bermuda means increased docking fees, plus greater fuel expenditure (summit uses aviation fuel for her turbines) and more importantly, less time passengers are aboard spending money.

If X wanted to they could have a cruise that spends more time on the island but I'm sure they've figured the needed fare would be more than what the average cruiser would want to spend.