Wine drinkers - classic and premium - what wine is available

Welshinwales

Our sommeliers on our last several cruises in Blu on the Solstice, Eclipse and Equinox have been the opposite of what people here are experiencing.

I'm not so sure about their deep knowledge of wine but they have been helpful, pleasant and, after the first couple of days, more than willing to suggest wines we might like. Our last sommelier on the Eclipse this last February even brought us a bottle that someone in Tuscan (which is next door) had ordered and left (guess they didn't like it well enough to keep for the next night) for us to taste.

Our sommeliers on our last several cruises in Blu on the Solstice, Eclipse and Equinox have been the opposite of what people here are experiencing.

I'm not so sure about their deep knowledge of wine but they have been helpful, pleasant and, after the first couple of days, more than willing to suggest wines we might like. Our last sommelier on the Eclipse this last February even brought us a bottle that someone in Tuscan (which is next door) had ordered and left (guess they didn't like it well enough to keep for the next night) for us to taste.

So let me understand this. Someone bought a bottle of wine, opened it, drank some, and then the sommelier took that bottle and poured some for you to taste?

They had the wine on their table, and possibly touched the bottle to the glass when they were pouring it into their own glass, and then the waiter took that bottle that they left (which THEY ordered and paid for), and poured wine into your glass.

Let me preface this by saying that sommeliers know how to pour, and they NEVER touch the bottle to any glass into which they are pouring. So if a bottle has been poured by sommeliers ONLY, there should never be any contamination.

That doesn't go for people pouring their own wine into their own glasses.

That sommelier should NEVER have taken their wine bottle for any reason other than to dispose of it if the customer who bought was done with it.

Sorry to say that's disgusting.

Let me clarify.

He never really said it was someone else's wine.

He just said he had an open bottle (with two small glasses left) that was from Tuscan and that he wanted us to taste it.

I made the leap to think it was someone else's.

SORRY!

I was just making the point that he had a lot of bottles in his station and was constantly bringing us wines he thought we might like to taste.

(We could see the station from our table and I saw the wines there.)

It was to tell the people who have had bad wine stewards that there are good ones out there .

Edited by chamima

Let me clarify.

He never really said it was someone else's wine.

He just said he had an open bottle (with two small glasses left) that was from Tuscan and that he wanted us to taste it.

I made the leap to think it was someone else's.

SORRY!

I was just making the point that he had a lot of bottles in his station and was constantly bringing us wines he thought we might like to taste.

(We could see the station from our table and I saw the wines there.)

It was to tell the people who have had bad wine stewards that there are good ones out there .

So the bottom line is that it MIGHT have been someone else's wine, which they had on their table, and MIGHT HAVE been pouring into their own glasses.

You just don't know.

UGH

• 2 months later...
Hello,

I hear lots of talk about the different drinks packages available and what spirits and beer is included, I am curious to hear what wines are available in each package?

Many thanks

I drank Clifford Bay Sauvingnon Blanc on the Premium pkg -- it was in March 2015. I liked it. Comparable to Merrivale SB or Kim Crawford SB. Hope that helps.

That was our experience, that every wine on the wine list was not available. Would be nice if they could print wine lists for each voyage. Even if it was just one list per sommelier, you could see what was available.

This was an issue (for us) on our last X cruise. There were no printed lists of wine by the glass for either Classic or Premium. We found this somewhat annoying. On a few occasions we had a bar tender or waiter go through every single wine offering (no fun for them) after asking for a list. This is a very inefficient process in the MDR, Blu or alternative restaurants where the staff must spend the extra time (which takes away from their ability to give good service to everyone) explaining the offerings.

Hank

My biggest beef, and that of my many cruising buddies, is that you CANNOT get all the wines on ANY list in ALL of the venues. This is completely ridiculous that you have to go the length of the ship, or only be in the dining room, to be able to have a glass of wine you would like. Yes, this is on the premium package also

Celebrity, you really have created more problems than you can handle with all the confusion.

PatC

My biggest beef, and that of my many cruising buddies, is that you CANNOT get all the wines on ANY list in ALL of the venues. This is completely ridiculous that you have to go the length of the ship, or only be in the dining room, to be able to have a glass of wine you would like. Yes, this is on the premium package also

Celebrity, you really have created more problems than you can handle with all the confusion.

PatC

Yes!! I just got back from a B2B on Constellation last week, and it was VERY frustrating trying to find the wines I liked at a convenient venue. First of all, some of the wines listed on the menu were no longer available (if you haven't stocked the Rodney Strong merlot on any ship in over a year, why is it still on the wine list and even on the daily menu as a recommended wine by the glass?) Some of the wines on the list never seemed to come in; then near the end of my second cruise, the St. Francis chardonnay that I had been searching for magically appeared- but only at the Rendezvous bar! Cellar Masters had the best selection of wines (to my taste) but since they were not available in the MDR, I found myself picking up a white wine on my way into dinner, then going back before my main course arrived to get a red. Not exactly "Modern Luxury" in my opinion... (I think they were all amused by the crazy wine lady, but it was worth it to me to drink what I preferred.) Lest I sound too negative, the cruises were great and we did find several wine stewards who were very good.

Has anyone else experienced that they "conveniently" were out of some of the more expensive drinks/wines? We had the premium package and on our cruise after the second day they didn't have anymore Chandon in Blu and offered only the prosecco and then two days later said we could only get the cava (which was on classic). This was also case with the red wines. I just hope this was an anomaly and not a ploy by celebrity to get you to pay to upgrade to premium and then have less premium choices available. We have upgraded to premium on next cruise, too, but hoping won't regret!

We upgrade to Premium, I like fizz so will pay the extra once or twice, I drink spritzers so happy with any white, have had all but 2 cocktails on the Martini list, hubby like red wine and good Cognac. On our last cruise the F&B Manager got off at St.Martins to find a bottle to suit my hubby's taste, well and truly spoilt. He was on Eclipse and was called Hans he was terrific