How are you affected by the USD/CDN Rate - Canadian Cruisers?

cessnabmw

We are at an AI in Cancun at the moment. Have met a number of Canadians who have either switched to AI's, are planning to, and are planning alternate vacations outside the US and not on cruises,

There are some good alternatives out there if one is willing to look and to consider other options.

We too have decided to sit on the fence for a bit..if the dollar drops by 2017, being retired..we can do last minute...or close to it...

We leave in 25 days for our cruise but booked over a year ago..so money was good..good thing we did..or we would have cancelled..I cannot justify paying 1 and 1/2 times the price...then the americanas..not fair..

we will wait and see

Wishing-You-Happy-Sunday-DG123371.gif

I'd like to know which cruise lines don't let you book in CAD so I can avoid even looking at their cruises.

I've sailed Carnival, MSC, NCL, Costa, Royal Caribbean and just booked Celebrity and they all were booked in CAD BUT with a travel agent. If you book in CAD through the cruiseline you pay the bank/credit card exchange rate. Book through a Canadian TA and you get a much better deal. (Although I heard the rates changed January 1st so glad I booked earlier.) My next cruise is Carnival and it was booked CAD with a 30% exchange rate and even that is a bargain now. Once booked at that rate, it does not change.

Even if you book in CAD you need to see what the exchange rate they are charging you

In some cases it may be higher than what the credit card or banks will charge for USD

Oceania does not take CAD but they do offer a small discount on some cruises

When I booked it was 20% I think the latest deal is 15%

but you can also get gratuities included (with the right TA & air is included in their base fare but you could remove the air for a small credit

how do you see canadian prices? When i look at their website, there is a 'change country' option but it doesn't do anything (and thus, sticks to us).

phone a canadian travel agent and ask them for a canadian price.

even if you book in cad you need to see what the exchange rate they are charging you

in some cases it may be higher than what the credit card or banks will charge for usd

Oceania does not take cad but they do offer a small discount on some cruises

when i booked it was 20% i think the latest deal is 15%

but you can also get gratuities included (with the right ta & air is included in their base fare but you could remove the air for a small credit

After I get a price from a TA in CAD then I figure out the exchange rate and see if it is worth while. I would not have booked the carnival cruise I am on next except for a friend asking me to go with her. Her son is going too and he wants to stick with carnival. Ncl, celebrity, royal c. all have lower exchange rates.

I wish I could afford an Oceania cruise. They keep sending me their brochures and I dream. I did not know they offer a small discount to Canadians.

Edited by Paddy41
punctuation

Have you looked at MSC lately. Great balcony deals. $1,700 Cdn all in for two.

Cheapest flights from Detroit for $298 Cdn per person return.

We have been on the MSC Poesia and really enjoyed it. The food was very good and so was the entertainment. The ship was beautiful.

I wish I could afford an Oceania cruise. They keep sending me their brochures and I dream. I did not know they offer a small discount to Canadians.

They are more low key as far as entertainment goes

Smaller ships with no formal nights ..if you shop around you can get the gratuities included so makes it a bit better & all non alcoholic drinks are included & specialty restaurants are no charge except for the wine Pairing dinner

Here are a few sailings with the discount

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/dgmkt/canadasavings/?s=google&d=sl-specials&t=cpc

Edited by LHT28

IF you purchase your cruise in foreign funds, including USD, just about all Canadian Visa cards will charge you a hidden 2.5 percent exchange fee. So even without the actual exchange, you are behind by 2.5 percent. Same thing for foreign ATM withdrawals. You can get around this if you have a Chase Bank Canada issued card.

The Canadian banks are pikers when it comes to hidden charges.

That fee is actually required by the Bank of Canada on all foreign transactions.

Some US Banks that issue cards in Canada don't charge this fee.

If you have a US Dollar account and credit card you won't pay this fee.

Edited by Kamloops50

Princess and HAL have fixed exchange rates . They usually are about 5% lower than the bank. The rate also cover all on line purchases before the cruise including gratuities , OBC and other items.

Does HAL allow you to buy OBC in advance at a lower rate? I know princess does but on my HAL booking it just shows in US.

IF you purchase your cruise in foreign funds, including USD, just about all Canadian Visa cards will charge you a hidden 2.5 percent exchange fee. So even without the actual exchange, you are behind by 2.5 percent. Same thing for foreign ATM withdrawals. You can get around this if you have a Chase Bank Canada issued card.

The Canadian banks are pikers when it comes to hidden charges.

The new Scotia bank Momentum card which came as a replacement for the Sears MC is issued by Chase and does not charge this extra 2.5%.