Formal nights on Anthem

WOW, what a charmer!

A member of these boards for 8 years, plenty of cruise history, but just assumes a brand new class of ship will be exactly the same as all the others.

I've thick skin, call me any names you like.

thank you :) ...... its a gift :)

I'm getting another beer while there's a break.

best get me one too ..... its going to be a long night.

look ..... I've already reside to the fact I made an error by not reading all the small print ....... and it really is small.

so that's cricket !

bummer ....... I'm just glad I didn't book a bloody suite !

Don't assume it's an error :)

You may just enjoy it...

If you go with an attitude that your going to hate it, then more than likely you'll hate it... if you go with an open mind, and that it's something new, you may have an enjoyable holiday :)

Don't assume it's an error :)

You may just enjoy it...

If you go with an attitude that your going to hate it, then more than likely you'll hate it... if you go with an open mind, and that it's something new, you may have an enjoyable holiday :)

I'm very open minded when it comes to different things.

I wasn't expecting it, and I don't think 50% of the ship will either.

I'm going to make do and have a great time, but although we've got a mini on anthem booked for October, I won't be going "quantum" again :(

I have a lot of sympathy with Stitchman, that is until he got rude and abusive.

We have cruised about 35-40 times (lost count) on most of the major lines, but I don't spend my life on Cruise Critic. I tend to come when I have booked a cruise.

For that reason I also booked Anthem maiden cruise because the date suited. I did not know about new dining arrangements and lack of formal nights. I am an experienced cruiser, why should I have to research every ship before booking?

I am uncomfortable about having to book dining and entertainment months prior to my cruise. why should the onus be on the customer to do this? This cruise line should be sorting this out. This is supposed to be a holiday, not a logistical exercise.

That said , I have done the necessary and I am looking forward to the cruise and will not miss formal nights.

Stitchman sir, you had a point. Make it politely and drop the attitude.

I have a lot of sympathy with Stitchman, that is until he got rude and abusive.

We have cruised about 35-40 times (lost count) on most of the major lines, but I don't spend my life on Cruise Critic. I tend to come when I have booked a cruise.

For that reason I also booked Anthem maiden cruise because the date suited. I did not know about new dining arrangements and lack of formal nights. I am an experienced cruiser, why should I have to research every ship before booking?

I am uncomfortable about having to book dining and entertainment months prior to my cruise. why should the onus be on the customer to do this? This cruise line should be sorting this out. This is supposed to be a holiday, not a logistical exercise.

That said , I have done the necessary and I am looking forward to the cruise and will not miss formal nights.

Stitchman sir, you had a point. Make it politely and drop the attitude.

Very well said. If he hadn't been so negative and rude, he may have gotten a better response! :)

I'm very open minded when it comes to different things.

I wasn't expecting it, and I don't think 50% of the ship will either.

I'm going to make do and have a great time, but although we've got a mini on anthem booked for October, I won't be going "quantum" again :(

I don't believe for a minute that 50% of the people cruising didn't read the BIG print on the changes made for this ship.

Have a great time onboard Anthem in MAy, would love to read the review on your return to what you expected and what you got.

Also are you expecting a formal night on your mini cruise in October?

why would I need to do research on an RCI ship ?

All the rest have had normal dining and formal nights .... why should this have been different ?

you're damn right I'm complaining !!

and swoopy ...... what's dynamic classic got to do with it ??

is everyone else on the ship going to be at dinner in the grande the same day as me ??

I think you're all missing the point !!

Do you have any other rants besides this, which has been old old news for quite some time...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Very well said. If he hadn't been so negative and rude, he may have gotten a better response! :)

then let's rewind.

I did get rude and offensive .......

but I felt like someone in the corner with a group of thugs around me.

I fought back ...... maybe not an Oscar wilde approach, but it made an impact.

people need to know about this formal night stuff.

If my TA would have informed my girlfriend (at the time of booking) we wouldn't have booked.

she knew that hence holding back info from us.

I sincerely apologise for offending anyone .......

but the truth be known, I aired, and I got damn bullied in return ........

Please think about that :)

I don't believe for a minute that 50% of the people cruising didn't read the BIG print on the changes made for this ship.

Have a great time onboard Anthem in MAy, would love to read the review on your return to what you expected and what you got.

Also are you expecting a formal night on your mini cruise in October?

show me the big print

Do you have any other rants besides this, which has been old old news for quite some time...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

is that the best you can do ????

old news ?????

Sorry ?? has anthem sailed yet ??

Will it come back to the UK ??

no .......

last season ..... funny that

Edited by Stitchman

If my TA would have informed my girlfriend (at the time of booking) we wouldn't have booked.

she knew that hence holding back info from us.

Your problem my friend is with your TA and NOT Royal Caribbean or Us.

My TA explained it all from the day I booked in March 2014. You need a better TA.

The big print is that I have seen it on websites, adverts, magazines, tv and at a cruise show where RCCL wasn't even there, it was still being discussed.

people need to know about this formal night stuff.

The majority of people do know about 'this formal night stuff'. Quantum class are sold as revolutionary, with dynamic dining.

It sounds like you have used a TA as just a booking agent, not as Travel Advisors!

I guess I still don't get what the big deal is or why it would be worth not booking over. You still have a formal dining room where everyone there will be dressed up with you because they want to be. Which is already more than the other RC sailings where only some people dressed up (which was fine too, but hardly every single person in the dining room). And then, usually the people with late seating are walking about the ship in shorts while the early diners are getting formal photos taken and the early diners are already changed while the later ones are dressed and eating. So you end up with only some of the ship dressed at the same time anyway. Kinda the same end result. I don't get the drama.

Anyone that books Anthem of the seas needs to read the gumph thoroughly.

There are no formal nights .... so a bit (extremely) #gutted.

I made the mistake of not researching about the new concept "style" ships.

so please read carefully about all the dining pitfalls etc.

Regards x

If you dine in the Grande Restaurant on the Quantum class ship, it is considered formal. So you can actually pick the nights you want to dine formally (or not).

I don't want formal dining, I want a formal gala evening.

that's what I'm getting at.

I don't want formal dining, I want a formal gala evening.

that's what I'm getting at.

Every night is formal night in Grande, therefore every night is formal dress night on board if you want to see people dressed in their finery.

I'm not sure how the way people are dressed equates to a "dining pitfall". Perhaps lesson learnt to do a bit of research before you buy? Caveat Emptor.

Edited by little britain

Every night is formal night in Grande, therefore every night is formal dress night on board if you want to see people dressed in their finery.

I'm not sure how the way people are dressed equates to a "dining pitfall". Perhaps lesson learnt to do a bit of research before you buy? Caveat Emptor.

The dining pitfalls were ...... are the dynamic dining.

They now have dynamic classic which is more like normal dining.

You obviously haven't read the top bit I had written re research.

hence I thought I'd mention it first.

A formal night is a completely different thing to just putting on a dinner suit and going to a dining room.

I'm obviously totally wrong .... as usual