Oceanview Room Difference

treyprice

I think the cost is $60 more for an Oceanroom view for 3 of us. Is that worth it? I see the room is a little bigger wich is good.

What is the difference in these room types? We have a 6 year old going with us so we would prefer an extra bed for her. Do all rooms have a sleeper sofa?

twinbedkingsingle.gif

= Twin/King w single sofa

twinbedkingsingleup.gif= Twin/king, single sofa & upper

You will only be able to book a room designed to hold the number of passengers in your booking.

Also, really the only difference in an inside room and an oceanview is a window. I personally don't want to stay in an inside room, but others love it because it is so dark and they sleep better. However, the window frames are deep and when we cruised with our then 2 1/2 year old granddaughter, she LOVED sitting in the window area looking out. It is especially nice when you are in port and either seeing the port or whatever is going on in the water around you.

The bed configuration will depend what ship you are sailing. We have done OV on Fantasy class and had the 2 upper bunks. I would choose an OV over and Inside any day. I like natural light in the room and enjoy looking out at the water or watching for sealife!

We had an interior on the Magic and there was no sitting area. The OV appears to offer a couch which makes more space.

I guess I'm confused as to what the different configurations are. Ideally we would prefer the upper bed so the couch is always available.

However, the window frames are deep and when we cruised with our then 2 1/2 year old granddaughter, she LOVED sitting in the window area looking out.

HA! So true. Not only did my 8 yo love sitting in the window reading and relaxing, but when I took my 2 best friends for their very first cruise, they each took turns sitting in it too and they were in their 50s and 60s! I have photos of them sitting in it (not together, there's not THAT much room!) and we all agreed that having a large window to look out was worth the "extra" expense. Of course after that trip they were hooked and insisted on a balcony for the next trip.

It's a slippery slope! :p

We had an interior on the Magic and there was no sitting area. The OV appears to offer a couch which makes more space.

I guess I'm confused as to what the different configurations are. Ideally we would prefer the upper bed so the couch is always available.

That is a configuration for 4 people and you most likely would not be allowed to book with only 3. You can have your room steward make the couch/bed back into a couch during the day for sitting. If you tell us what ship you are on people can give you ideas on what the room is like.

Ocean view rooms are bigger. On the triumph we got an inside with our 3 yr old, my in-laws had an ocean view across the hall, it felt huge! We're leaving on the magic soon and booked an ocean view with a couch for her to sleep on. Definitely go for the ocean view if you can!

We are going on the Triumph next month. We've had a handicap room on Triumph room before and an interior on the Magic. On the Magic my daughter really liked the bunk bed.

I think for $60 it's a good upgrade since the room is bigger and you get the window.

I wasn't sure why on some sites there were stars, squares, or nothing on the rooms. The stars say they have single couch, the squares have the bunk, but what do the regular rooms have? I figure they have a couch too.

My preference is always an OV over inside because of the extra room and usually a sofa. I also like the natural light. I know some people really like insides because they can sleep better at night, but I generally sleep quite well on ships anyway.

Do all rooms have a sleeper sofa?

twinbedkingsingle.gif

= Twin/King w single sofa

twinbedkingsingleup.gif= Twin/king, single sofa & upper

No and the sofa is not a sleeper-- its back comes off and its made into a bed. Not all sofas are the same size either. There are fiull size sofa which are in cabins for 3/4 people and there are smaller ones that are smaller then a love seat.

seeing it you could book a cabin for 4 people and getting an upper bed giving you space to sit while she sleeps

on the triumph- this ship allows for rollaways which take up precious floor space. see if you can book a direct room which has the right amount of beds

Edited by serene56

On the Pride, Legend and Miracle I favor the 4K cabins. They are sold as insides but are OVs whose view is blocked by a lifeboat. These are excellent-size cabins, with french doors opening to the lifeboat, and a full-sized couch inside.

On our recent Pride repo, we never even opened the drapes -- although an attendant did. In fact, I originally booked a balcony but then decided that 4K was plenty adequate and then some.

We are going on the Triumph next month. We've had a handicap room on Triumph room before and an interior on the Magic. On the Magic my daughter really liked the bunk bed.

I think for $60 it's a good upgrade since the room is bigger and you get the window.

I wasn't sure why on some sites there were stars, squares, or nothing on the rooms. The stars say they have single couch, the squares have the bunk, but what do the regular rooms have? I figure they have a couch too.

Stars, triangles, squares, and dots designate how many can be in a cabin. The legend will be somewhere on the page.

You will only be able to book a room designed to hold the number of passengers in your booking.

Also, really the only difference in an inside room and an oceanview is a window. I personally don't want to stay in an inside room, but others love it because it is so dark and they sleep better. However, the window frames are deep and when we cruised with our then 2 1/2 year old granddaughter, she LOVED sitting in the window area looking out. It is especially nice when you are in port and either seeing the port or whatever is going on in the water around you.

Not true, interior rooms are typically smaller than ocean view rooms and many times do not have a couch or even a chair, sometimes one less closet space instead of the typical three one would have in a balcony or ocean view room. You can always check out cruise line rooms dot com if you are curious.

Edited by v3cruiser

Triumph is one of the unique ships of Carnival in that the rooms that don't use the sofa as a sofabed have smaller sofas. On most of their ships, any rooms that have a sofa that is not also a bed will be a full sized sofa. They just aren't allowed to use them all for beds, because they have a limit of how many people can be on the ship. So some are designated to be beds, while others are not. Triumph is weird with their smaller non-bed sofas. And someone else correctly explained that the sofa bed is not a pullout. The seat of the sofa is the bed.

A star means that the sofa can be a bed for a 3rd person. The square means that you have a sofa bed and an upper bunk, so the room sleeps 4 people. Sometimes, Carnival doesn't let you book 3 into a 4-person room, but quite often, you CAN. Especially when you're only a month out from sailing. We had 2 people booked into a 4-person room; no problem, and we were never moved, although you could be moved. Regular rooms (rooms with no symbol in them) will sleep 2 people. On Triumph, the OVs & balconies will have a sofa in those (not the sofa bed, so the sofa is smaller), but the standard interiors will not. The interiors are quite small, significantly smaller than the OVs. No room at all for a sofa. If you book a 4-person OV room, your room steward will assume that you want the sofa to be your 3rd bed & will leave the upper bunk in the ceiling, because this is what most people want. You will need to request that the upper bunk be the 3rd bed.

So we can do the star room and my 6 year old will be fine on it? I can't find an over head room. We are booking only a month early so room selection is limited.

If you do, in the end, get a star room, the sofa is just fine for any & all ages. It's the same size as their standard beds, just sitting a couple inches closer to the floor. In the interiors, the upper bunk is partially over the regular beds when pushed together, making for a very difficult entry/exit for 1 person. If the regular beds are separated, then you have much more floor space (in the middle), and the upper bunk is fully over 1 of the regular beds. With the OV room, no upper bunks will be above you, even if you have a room with an upper. Your space is all yours, from floor to ceiling, whether the beds are together or separate. The bigger room & the separation from the 3rd bed is well worth the $60. The window is a free bonus.

Edited by k2excursion

Any difference on the connected rooms? Does the door mess up anything?

This late in booking it's hard to find a non-connected star or square room on deck 2.

I have not been in a connecting room on a cruise ship, and hope to not have one. In hotels, more sound (A LOT more sound) comes through connecting rooms than non-connecting rooms. The bed setup should be the exact same. The connecting door would be at the foot of the regular beds, which sit closer to the window than the sofa.

If it was me I would stay with an inside room then I would start calling Carnival and ask for free upgrades and see what they offer for the three of you. Then about every week continue to call and ask for free upgrades. It's possible you get what you want for no more out of pocket.

I wouldn't sail in an inside with 3 people. We had friends that had an inside with 3 and they had a roll away bed in there at the foot of the fullsize bed.

They were not happy. It was very uncomfortable because there was absolutely no floor space left. They spent their whole cruise climbing over beds.

You actually have more floor space with 4 people in an inside than 3.

That's not exactly true. When I booked our cruise for Oct, for just my husband and I, the system allowed us to book a 3 person cove even though there were plenty available for 2 people only. Granted, we couldn't book a 4 person cove, but I don't understand why 2 people can book a room for 3 if there are 2's available. We did initially because I'm picky and wanted a non-connecting room and the only one available was for 3 people, but since then a non-connecting 2 person room opened up so I switched. Figured why wait until they force us to move.

If it was me I would stay with an inside room then I would start calling Carnival and ask for free upgrades and see what they offer for the three of you. Then about every week continue to call and ask for free upgrades. It's possible you get what you want for no more out of pocket.

I did exactly the same thing and got a free OV upgrade, on another cruise line. Then I did it again on my Carnival cruise, but they refused to offer any upgrade and we were stuck in the bottom AFT inside:(. I never took my chance ever since then.

That's not exactly true. When I booked our cruise for Oct, for just my husband and I, the system allowed us to book a 3 person cove even though there were plenty available for 2 people only. Granted, we couldn't book a 4 person cove, but I don't understand why 2 people can book a room for 3 if there are 2's available. We did initially because I'm picky and wanted a non-connecting room and the only one available was for 3 people, but since then a non-connecting 2 person room opened up so I switched. Figured why wait until they force us to move.

Yes, you can book a room for two that holds 3 or 4 (with the possibility of being bumped), but I have never heard of anyone being able to book a room designed for two for three people.

Yes, you can book a room for two that holds 3 or 4 (with the possibility of being bumped), but I have never heard of anyone being able to book a room designed for two for three people.

Ah, ok. I didn't realize it was the opposite situation that the OP was referring to. But that makes sense, I can't imagine that they ever would because they would risk ending up in a situation where they might have more people on the ship than the max that it can hold.