Excursions in Norway

We are cruising around Norway including 10 stops in that country with the Caribbean Princess on 12 June

Can any members give advice on "doing your own excursions" rather than the organised trips from the ship the places we are visiting are as follows

Stavanger,Olden,Flaam,Andalsnes,Trondheim,Honningsvag,Lofoton Islands,Aalesund,and Bergen Any suggestions regarding costs and feasibility of independently visiting attractions in the above locations would be very much appreciated

Hate to tell you but you will find VERY few private tour companies in Norway. We went up to North Cape and back and used just one private company. And I can't even remember the name. The tour companies sell their services to the cruise line. And since the season is so short, there aren't many more than what the ships use.

Get yourself a good book, decide on points you want to see and then find the ship tour that this as many as possible. Yes, more expensive and bigger groups, but most everything is scenic. And unless you rented a car, which I wouldn't advise after traveling on the winding roads in foggy high altitiudes, you really are pretty much at the mercy of the ship tours. Which is pretty much against our customary way of touring.

For sure you want to buy your train tickets in Flam on your own. Make a group on your roll call if possible. Those sell out since the ship will offer as an excursion which is definitely not needed. But if you don't have a group, then do the ship's one. Same train, but more money and with a lunch stop.

Too, order you Lysefjord cruise tickets online ahead of time. It is out of Scavanger and leaves around 10 a.m. You'll be back in time to enjoy the city. It's a can't miss boat trip. We really enjoyed the goats and drinking fresh water from a waterfall.;)

We did this cruise almost 3 years ago and had wonderful sunny weather. Hope you do too! It makes a world of difference.

Edited by eandj

Get a good guidebook to be prepared what you might want to see and do. Indeed there are not that many organised tours offered by others.

You might find some on this website: http://www.norwaynutshell.com/

Absolutely book the train in Flamm, it sells out quickly. https://www.visitflam.com/en/sightseeing/attractions/flamsbana-the-flam-railway/

and/or this bustour to Stegastein viewpoint.https://www.visitflam.com/en/sightseeing/attractions/stegastein-viewpoint/

In many places like Bergen, Alesund or probably else where too you will find the hopon/off bus. Great way to see the city.

In Bergen also go to Floybahn, not too far from the terminal and the hopon/of bus stops there too. http://www.floyen.no/en/

For other places you can also use google or tripadvisor by putting in your requests.

Norway is a rather expensive country in many ways.

We are cruising around Norway including 10 stops in that country with the Caribbean Princess on 12 June. Can any members give advice on "doing your own excursions" rather than the organised trips from the ship the places we are visiting are as follows: Stavanger, Olden, Flaam, Andalsnes, Trondheim, Honningsvag, Lofoton Islands, Aalesund, and Bergen. Any suggestions regarding costs and feasibility of independently visiting attractions in the above locations would be very much appreciated

Great above comments. Agree strongly with the posting by eandj for how limited are your port options, the impacts of such short tourism seasons, etc. If you have not been to Norway in many of these ports and towns, it is hard to appreciate about the various limits on service providers, the logistics, etc.

As noted and connected below, we have been in six of these ports/towns. My live/blog provides lots of details, ideas, photos, etc., for what you can consider there. Check out these posts. Let me know any added, follow-up questions, etc.

We did rental cars and DIY trips that worked well for the wonderful Lofoten Islands, Alesund and at the North Cape/Honningsvag. We did lots on our own at Trondheim and Bergen. BUT, there are reasons at places such as Flam where trying to do it on your own could create challenges, especially if there are a number of other ships in this port on the day when you are there.

What are you personal interests, travel style, past Europe experience, etc.??? If you are just used to doing Caribbean cruises, you will finds lots of differences for doing parts of Europe, especially along this scenic Norway coast.

Below are a few of my visual highlights to give you ideas to consider, options that are potential, etc. PLUS, building the excitement for your upcoming trip. Don't be shy!! Keep asking good questions.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 176,042 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

This is the dramatic overview of Alesund from the Aksla vantage point along the western coast of Norway. This spot allows a nearly 360-degree view of this setting for this island city and the surrounding mountains and islands. It is at a 597’ height overlooking the five islands making up the scenic town. The canal or waterway in the middle of the town is called "Brosundet" (or the Bridge sound). That means Ale sund (sloping sound). Or, reflecting that the sound slopes through town. This is how Alesund got its name.:

AlesundHarbor.jpg

As we departed Svolvaer in the Lofoten Islands of Norway on a perfect, sunny day, these are two of the green, tree-covered mountains rising up from the sea that we saw with the small out-islands in the foreground.:

LofotenSlovDeparting.jpg

This is one of my many puffin visuals, showing their bright orange feet, plus their cute and unique beaks. We had a private boat from the harbor in Gjesvaer near the North Cape at the top of Norway.:

BirdRockPuffinFeet.jpg

Here’s a close look at these historic Bergen Hanseatic merchant warehouse building fronts, people taking pictures, etc. Super loved the charm, character, history and beauty in Bergen.:

BergenCloseHistBldgPixs.jpg

Right near the Hanseatic merchant warehouse area is the Bergen Fish Market with lots of options to buy food to eat on site or just watch, enjoying the “show” as people ask questions and buy the various fresh fish items.:

BergenFishMktCloseUp.jpg

At Flam, you can see here some of this great fjord, dramatic mountains, etc. Doing a spectacular train ride up the mountain, seeing the valleys, waterfalls, etc., is wonderful!!:

FjordsTrainViews2.jpg

I am also on the North Cape cruise on the Caribbean Princess. Last month, I read all 40+ pages of..

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2018995

and

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1969271

LOTs of information on these two thread. Ten ports can be quite overwhelming, but there are do-it-yourself info on all the ports. I think I won't be booking a single ship tour on the cruise.

Hi Contributors

Thank you so much for your most comprehensive responses I was overwhelmed by the detailed information, just to elaborate we have been to the fjords and Scandinavia several times as far as Bergen but never to the North Cape.

I decided that booking the Flaam train trip independently would be a good idea but will take your advice on some of they other destinations

The photos were tremendous and have made the prospect of this cruise all the more exciting to look forward to Thank you once again

Silhillian

• 2 weeks later...

There is a very active Roll Call for the June 12th sailing.There are still some people trying to fill tours that you might be interested in. In addition there is a M & G scheduled and a dinner in Southampton precruise also planned.

Stavanger, Olden, Trondheim, Alesund and Bergen are all completely doable on your own without having an organised trip. If you enjoy walking then you can see most of the sights in the immediate area without expensive tours. I can't answer for the other ports.

Stavanger - everything is near to hand including the White houses in the old town the canning museum,cathedral ,sailing museum,shops and the Petroleum Museum which is brilliant. There is a small hoho bus which takes you around the lake and outlying areas.

Olden - is beautiful but small and is very walkable. There is also a small bus which picks up at the ship and takes you on a tour of the village and over the river, past the churches. The White church is worth a visit and there are several souvenir shops , cafes etc.

Trondheim is a lovely place which is quite a big town. You can do a circuit through the shops, past the Cathedral, across the river over the old bridge to the bicycle lift,through the old town , cross another large bridge and up to the sailing museum which is well worth a visit. You really get a flavour of the place although it is much bigger than the previous two ports of call.

Alesund is beautiful - walking tours available from the tourist office in small groups with a guide. We spent a lovely time here after checking out times on the Alesund website.

Bergen - the old fish market, Bryggen and a trip up the funicular. We also did the round Bergen bus tour which includes a trip up Mount Ulrikken in the cable car ( different to the funicular) which we did on our second visit.

Norway is a beautiful country but very, very expensive. We enjoyed our trips there very much and are looking forward to returning in the near future.

Just be very careful if planning on driving a rental. The fog and weather conditions can make traveling the winding roads very treacherous. Allow yourself plenty of time. There were a couple spots that we were so glad we had booked an excursion. Letting someone else do the driving. :eek:

have to agree with Morgans that Norway is very easy to organise your own trips. Flam railway you can now book online, although we just bought our tickets at the station when we went a couple of years ago.

There is a bus to the North Cape which you can book online and it departs very near to where the ships dock.

Look on Tripadvisor, there is lots of information there and also on the Norway Tourist Board website. If you can't find what you are looking for, call the Tourist Board, they speak excellent English.

Last year we visited the Lofoten Islands. None of the cruise line's excursions were particularly attractive to us. I had planned to hire a car to head south from Leknes to A. The main problem with this was the timing was tight. We reckoned about 6 hours from landing by tender to last pickup by tender.

A few weeks before the cruise was due to depart one of the passengers started a Roll Call to find passengers interested in a private tour. This was arranged using a company called Arctic Bus: http://www.arcticbuss.no/

Another cruise group has also used Arctic Bus: http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g190469-d601340-r216861656-Lofoten_Island-Nordland_Northern_Norway.html

The bus we had was a 16 seater. The cost of the hire was shared equally between the passengers. They allowed payment by credit card. My recollection was that the number of passengers needed to make it competitive with the cruise excursions was 9 and each additional passenger after that meant we were paying less.

My feeling is that going with the private tour group was easier than dealing with the hire car. It worked about a bit cheaper than the cost of a car for us.

However - driving on the Lofoten Islands didn't look difficult - the roads are not wide but are OK and there isn't much option in terms of routes to get lost if going south - though that means there are not alternative routes to avoid delays such as the roadfworks we experienced. The traffic wasn't heavy and seemed to behave sensibly. There are several tunnels.

Was in Alesund a couple years ago. Beautiful city!

Of course, the viewpoint is a highlight. We walked up, others took a little train.

If I returned, I would probably take a walking tour: http://www.visitalesund-geiranger.com/en/Product/?TLp=268905

I've read good things about the Art Nouveau Museum, though we ran out of time to visit: http://www.visitalesund-geiranger.com/en/ATTRACTIONS/Museums-and-galleries/?TLp=33509&The-Art-Nouveau-Centre-the-Art-Museum-KUBE=

Here's a link with area info:

http://www.visitalesund-geiranger.com/en/

There is a church within walking distance to the ship that sometimes has free concerts. Check with them to see if they're having anything while you're there: http://www.kirken-aalesund.no/en-us/ålesund/musikk.aspx

Have a great cruise!