Help Dawn or Gem!!

lbylore

This will be our first cruise and need help making a final decision. My husband and 17 year old son will be cruising. I really want to gear the trip for my son having the best possible experience. We are currently booked on the Gem out of NY to Bahamas which we have never been. However, I've read that Bermuda is a much better port. I'm conflicted with the better port versus the Gem seems to offer more for teens and is newer and seems to be the better ship? Price is about the same. I've read a lot of people say go with the port, but we will be on the ship for most of the vacation. How does the Dawn compare to the Gem for teens? Basketball court, teen center, activities, pool? I know they don't have the bowling alley and the rock wall which may be closed. Please help I need to have final payment by next week!

This will be our first cruise and need help making a final decision. My husband and 17 year old son will be cruising. I really want to gear the trip for my son having the best possible experience. We are currently booked on the Gem out of NY to Bahamas which we have never been. However, I've read that Bermuda is a much better port. I'm conflicted with the better port versus the Gem seems to offer more for teens and is newer and seems to be the better ship? Price is about the same. I've read a lot of people say go with the port, but we will be on the ship for most of the vacation. How does the Dawn compare to the Gem for teens? Basketball court, teen center, activities, pool? I know they don't have the bowling alley and the rock wall which may be closed. Please help I need to have final payment by next week!

I have looked into the Breakaway and it is over $1000.00 more! I'm trying to keep the price in the $3000 range. The other option was the Celebrity Summit, but that also seems less for teens.

I have been on both ships. They are basically identical. But Bermuda is a much better port for beaches. Best part is no hassles you in Bermuda. Research the ports on these ports here, and see what your son will like better.

Can't comment on programs for young adults, we had left ours at home in school. :D

Do you really think they are pretty much identical? The Gem looks like it has more in the photos. It also looks bigger. I know the Dawn doesn't have the rock wall, bowling alley and the slide. I'm not sure what the differences are in pool and sports area. In the photos the Gem looks like it's better? In the reviews for the Gem people talk about the Great outdoors and Spinnaker lounge being really special. Is the Dawn as nice?

Edited by lbylore

I think Dawn is the worst ship on which I've ever cruised. Yes, Dawn and Gem are very similar, but the difference in Spinnaker lounge location makes all the difference in the world wrt evening activities. So, I would book Gem long before I would book Dawn.

Do you really think they are pretty much identical? The Gem looks like it has more in the photos. It also looks bigger. I know the Dawn doesn't have the rock wall, bowling alley and the slide. I'm not sure what the differences are in pool and sports area. In the photos the Gem looks like it's better? In the reviews for the Gem people talk about the Great outdoors and Spinnaker lounge being really special. Is the Dawn as nice?

gems rock wall is being refurbished and not being used until it comes out of drydock. we are sailing gem 5/2 and can't use wall either but there is lots to do either way to keep busy and to have fun

Do you think I should just stick with the Gem to the Bahamas and maybe if we like cruising next year we can try to get a better price on the Breakaway to Bermuda?

Edited by lbylore

I know you asked about the Gem and Dawn. Personally has decent experience on both ships. However, I am not looking at cruising NCL anytime soon.

Not a fan of freedom style dining and service on either ship with stewards was so so. Never seen either one of them until the last night of the cruise. Same in the dining rooms. When you do not have the same folks looking after you, staff may not be as attentive and somewhat impersonal.

Sticking with Carnival or RCI, maybe try other lines in future.

You may want to consider the Grandeur out of Baltimore to Bermuda.

I would consider any ship to Bermuda over any other ship to the Bahamas.

jmho

I have looked at the Grandeur and the Summit. What makes me reluctant is which one of these is more fun for a 17 year old. I worry that they may not offer as much activities for a teen than Norwegian. The Grandeur and the Summit doesn't seem to have the physical activities for a teen boy. No sports center or bowling alley etc.

Edited by lbylore

The gem and dawn are very similar....the big difference for me is eating outdoors....I missed that on the dawn...we has a terrific steward on the gem but were taken care or just fine on the dawn....I don't see why you would not book the gem as it looks like you are in nj...,easier to get to....your son will meet other teens at the program the first night and you'll likely not see him much after that....however bermuda beats the Bahamas by a million points....I would never choose them as the only destination....bermuda is by far the better choice.....but if you do be sure to have a plan....the water is beautiful....nassau not so much....the Atlantis thing is overpriced and very crowded....once you book go to the ports board for all your questions....lots of good info there and have a great trip!

It seemed like you're really drawn to the Gem, for the bowling alley, rock climbing wall etc, so in my opinion, you should keep your booking on the Gem. I think the Dawn is a great ship, and does have a basketball court, but not the other things you've mentioned. Just go and enjoy your cruise! Also, please tell u what you decided on and then, report back about your wonderful cruise:D. Hope this helps a little bit:D

We are probably going to stick with the Gem unless there is an amazing price drop on the Breakaway or Dawn this week. NY is the closer port and even though the Bahamas may not be the best port, we have never been there. Maybe next year to Bermuda. Will make the best out of wherever we go and UBP!! Just would be nice if there were more options out of NY for the Caribbean. I have been waiting for some price drops since I booked the end of February and everything seems to just be going up.