Gluten Free - My Time or Set Times?

Hi,

My son who is 3 has celiac. Right now we have My Time dining but I'm wondering if we should change it to a set time. Is it possible to get the same servers with My Time?

Sort of related if he's in the kids club do they ever give them food?

TIA

Hi,

My son who is 3 has celiac. Right now we have My Time dining but I'm wondering if we should change it to a set time. Is it possible to get the same servers with My Time?

TIA

Can't answer for RCI . My DW is gluten intolerant and hasn't any problems in Any Time Dining (Princess) . You just let the server know of the request and the maitre'd comes over to point out what is gluten free and take your order for the day for supper . He is aware of what can be made gluten free for the next day..

Hi,

TIA

I don't know about getting the same server every time but my friend eats GF and she didn't have any trouble getting GF food in the main dining room. Sometimes she had to wait to get it though.

Yes, they do feed the kids in the kids club and I would not trust that he would not get gluten during those times. I would make sure he was not there at those times. --my kids are older now but if I remember correctly they have lunch together on port days and dinner together on formal nights.

Op,

When you register your child at AO, there is a form to fill out for medical and dietary issues. Only food they provide is normally a complimentary ice cream party and lunch/dinner nights with AO which are at a cost if I remember correctly. I don't recall DD ever being given snacks inside the club itself, not at WJ at times shown on activity compass.

We have done MTD before and requested same wait staff with no issue.

Enjoy your cruise.:)

Edited by Spurschick

We had the same waiter and time in the MDR and when I arrived my bread would be under cover waiting.

So, perhaps it is a bit easier with a set time/waiter, as you won't have to go through the explanation each time.

My waiter or the head waiter would show me the next day's menu and I would pick what I wanted and then it was ready for the next evening when I was ready for dinner. It went very smoothly.

Ask where you can find GF items as they are about the ship. eg. UDI packaged cookies at the Cafe and they did have mini GF muffins made daily.

GF Hamburger buns in the WJ. They are prepackaged and not made on board. If your son wants sliders at dinner, ask for those buns as I was given a slice on bread on each side of the bun?

Enjoy your cruise!

The only time my son has eaten within the kids club without me having signed him into a meal session, they took them for ice cream so I guess you will have to check the ice cream mixture and if ok, specify a bowl not a cone.

I also have Celiac and have always done My Time dining. For the most part, they do try to give you the same waitstaff, or at the very least the same dining area so the Head Waiter is the same.

My experience normally is they will bring me a menu each night and take my "order" for the next night. All the gluten free choices are also clearly marked on the menu. I have not had any issues at all eating i the MDR. We don't do specialty restaurants so can't answer how things are done there.

I know the tip is to notify special needs, but I have to honestly say after the first few cruises when I was diagnosed, I do not ever notify them. I just tell my waitstaff the first night and go from there.

I didn't notify them. It is on my Profile on RCL.

I am not celiac but sensitive.

I told the head waiter and waiter the night I arrived.

Picking the dinner the night before is great. If you want fries that is a special thing, as it is done in it's own oil and they need time to know this etc. For lunch it is timely to get them in the MDR.

The main menu was altered for GF, sauces with no flour to thicken etc. So, I had a free choice of my main meal. The desserts are marked but many are heavy with cream which I can't have, so they would bring a fruit plate each night.

WJ you have to ask if you want GF breads, they are in the back.

There is a very good No Flour Chocolate Cake in the WJ- you have to ask for by the dessert section, Indy had it daily.

In the afternoon there was a sauce and such for their 'Tea' time, you could add to the plain cake and it was a nice treat.

Breakfast in the MDR I could get my GF bread toasted!!:) They had about 3 types of breads on Indy made daily.

It sounds like he should be okay. We likely won't be putting him in the kids clubs for meals and I'll just make sure they don't give him an ice cream cone. Since he's only 3 he doesn't really know what he can and can't have. Luckily he's not sensitive to dairy yet but since almost everyone on his dad's side is lactose intolerant I'm sure he will be at some point.

Thanks everyone.

It sounds like he should be okay. We likely won't be putting him in the kids clubs for meals and I'll just make sure they don't give him an ice cream cone. Since he's only 3 he doesn't really know what he can and can't have. Luckily he's not sensitive to dairy yet but since almost everyone on his dad's side is lactose intolerant I'm sure he will be at some point.

Thanks everyone.

Have a wonderful cruise and hopefully all goes smoothly for you.

I have lactose issues but no celiac, just sensitive to Gluten and Lactose. Gelato has less cream though, than ice cream, tastes good too!!!:D