$12 Drinks? No thanks!

Yes... we all know about THAT price list. I was the one that posted it. If you read it, you'll see that it was posted on march 3rd. No later than a few days later, reports starded comming out that there were no longer any drink menus onboard RCL ships. Then they were sayin it was because of Printing issues...:rolleyes: I just got off Liberty a week ago. I SAW what the prices were, I WAS THERE! But you can't take a picture of a price list because THEY DONT HAVE THEM. You have to ask for each one.

$10 + 18% is pretty much the minimum on only the most basic drinks or straight shots. Any other cocktail/martini will be $12 + 18% and some are more.

And the lady saying that she paid $18 for a scotch... well without knowing which one is kinda useless. $18 for a shot of Johnnie Walker Red... You got screwed. $18 for Johnnie Walker Blue... you got a great deal.

dp

If you were on Liberty last week can I ask you a question? Did you happen to have a drink package and if so did you find that even with the drink package you were having to add extra just to get any drinks due to the price increase? I'm wondering if they have raised the prices so much that even with the premium package I am going to find that I have to pay a few bucks every time I order a drink on Oasis. If so then it's just not worth it to me to get the drink package because I am getting the drink package so that I don't have to think about money while on my cruise.

I am on Quantum right now and here is our bill for 2 drinks we bought when we first came on board. After these we switched to beer...

At least the tax goes away, once you're out to sea. :D The sad part is that the "Ultimate" probably means you paid extra for some kind of premium rum, which (in my opinion) is a waste in a drink like a pina colada or strawberry daiquiri.

Edited by Paul65

At least the tax goes away, once you're out to sea. :D The sad part is that the "Ultimate" probably means you paid extra for some kind of premium rum, which (in my opinion) is a waste in a drink like a pina colada or strawberry daiquiri.

Wrong they use 10 cane rum it's a mixing rum you wouldn't drink that neat

$12 for a drink is a bit much for my tastes, but when we go to the Hard Rock's Velvet Lounge at Universal I have to have their Bloody Martini. It's $12-14, can't remember exactly what I paid last time, but it was a bit. I love the drink, don't like the price, but it's worth it to me because we're on vacation. Would I pay $12-14 for a drink at the local Chili's? No. That's my perspective.

Below is a link to a thread on this board that lists the 2015 drink prices. I'm not sure what you folks are drinking but I found almost no drinks as high as $12.00.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2176366

What am I missing?

I saw this list before the price increases, so this is another incorrect price list I`m afraid. So that is what you are missing!!

Also the person who put up the list says Quote I cannot vouch for the price accuracy.

So this list is not very helpful if it does not know if the prices they are showing are accurate. :eek:

Don't know if it's just me - but I find the drinks packages quite good value for money (compared to paying the per drink price).

Bloody Mary for breakfast

Glass of wine with lunch

Three cocktails over an afternoon

One or two pre dinner drinks

Glass of wine with dinner

Couple more cocktails in the nightclub

That's 10 drinks right there, let's say they're $10 each that's $100 total VS the $55 for the Premium package. Done deal in my book.

I've paid $12 for a drink at a resort on a land vacay so why not on a cruise? For that matter, I've paid that much at some local bars & restaurants. On vacation I don't want to think about the price of drinks or anything else, I just want to relax & have fun! I plan on getting the premium drink package on my cruise next month like I did on my last cruise, that way I can try anything I want & I can drink as much as I want, easy peasy!! [emoji2][emoji484]

Anyone know if Appleton rum in a piña colada would make it over the dollar limit? That's one of my favorites & in December it was fine but not sure with the new pricing if it would be over.

I've paid $12 for a drink at a resort on a land vacay so why not on a cruise? For that matter, I've paid that much at some local bars & restaurants. On vacation I don't want to think about the price of drinks or anything else, I just want to relax & have fun! I plan on getting the premium drink package on my cruise next month like I did on my last cruise, that way I can try anything I want & I can drink as much as I want, easy peasy!! [emoji2][emoji484]

Anyone know if Appleton rum in a piña colada would make it over the dollar limit? That's one of my favorites & in December it was fine but not sure with the new pricing if it would be over.

I think the issue is that the prices jumped overnight. On the price list posted a few posts up, an Ultimate Pina Colada was $8, it's now $12. That's a 50% price increase. I'm sorry, but that's crazy.

I am on Quantum right now and here is our bill for 2 drinks we bought when we first came on board. After these we switched to beer...

bill%2520no%2520name.jpg

Wow. That was our first-drink-on-the-ship order to a tee on Explorer, every time. Then martinis for sailaway... This really drives it home :(

Don't know if it's just me - but I find the drinks packages quite good value for money (compared to paying the per drink price).

Glass of wine with lunch

That's 10 drinks right there, let's say they're $10 each that's $100 total VS the $55 for the Premium package. Done deal in my book.

Now put yourself in my shoes. We were on Jewel April 4-11 - i.e., just last week. 5 port days - therefore, no Bloody Mary, no wine at lunch, and no cocktails in the afternoon since we're not on board yet. So unless I'm slamming 5+ drinks between the time we start dinner and go to bed (and with 2 under 10 year olds that's kind of early) the package is worthless to us as it costs way more than what we could/would drink. 2 to 3 max for me, otherwise I can't walk straight even with calm seas.

BUT, on the days At Sea, we're getting absolutely ripped off with $12 drinks (plus grats!) throughout the day.

Again, on Jewel LAST WEEK, a daiquiri in the Solarium was $12. Not for a hand made drink, for something coming out of one of 7-11s Slushie machines with a shot of rum added to go along with the corn syrup. ALL drinks on the menu at the Schooner Bar were $12 plus (and oddly they had prices listed unlike some of the other comments I've read about other ships). But that said, they didn't have the ingredients to make many of them, as the bartender said management placed the menus "3 weeks ago" (that's a quote) but didn't provide the stuff to actually make them.

Glass of wine with lunch

And that's why the premium is a good deal for us. A few Bloody Mary's at breakfast and by the pool. A few beers at lunch, few pre dinner drinks, drink with dinner and a few afterwards, also, possibly, nightcap.

Not a lady :cool: but it was a Talisker 10 year.

I'm sorry. That's what I get for assuming :o

If you were on Liberty last week can I ask you a question? Did you happen to have a drink package and if so did you find that even with the drink package you were having to add extra just to get any drinks due to the price increase? I'm wondering if they have raised the prices so much that even with the premium package I am going to find that I have to pay a few bucks every time I order a drink on Oasis. If so then it's just not worth it to me to get the drink package because I am getting the drink package so that I don't have to think about money while on my cruise.

Yes. we both had the ultimate package. We never paid any extra for any drink except for one glass of wine that was $20. We paid the difference plus tip so $8 + 1 dollar and change. But that was OK we knew that was the deal. I did voluntarily give out a few $ in cash to the bartender if I was at the bar, or the server if we were served. Those extra few $$ in my opinion makes the package so much more worth it. after the first day, the servers that knew me did not even bother to bring a printed slip anymore.

dp

Now put yourself in my shoes. We were on Jewel April 4-11 - i.e., just last week. 5 port days - therefore, no Bloody Mary, no wine at lunch, and no cocktails in the afternoon since we're not on board yet. So unless I'm slamming 5+ drinks between the time we start dinner and go to bed (and with 2 under 10 year olds that's kind of early) the package is worthless to us as it costs way more than what we could/would drink. 2 to 3 max for me, otherwise I can't walk straight even with calm seas.

BUT, on the days At Sea, we're getting absolutely ripped off with $12 drinks (plus grats!) throughout the day.

On our current cruise, we're not getting off in Nassau or St. Thomas. Also, again for us, 5 drinks a day is nothing. I understand if it doesn't work out for others. Just a good value for us serious drinkers.

Again, on Jewel LAST WEEK, a daiquiri in the Solarium was $12. Not for a hand made drink, for something coming out of one of 7-11s Slushie machines with a shot of rum added to go along with the corn syrup. ALL drinks on the menu at the Schooner Bar were $12 plus (and oddly they had prices listed unlike some of the other comments I've read about other ships). But that said, they didn't have the ingredients to make many of them, as the bartender said management placed the menus "3 weeks ago" (that's a quote) but didn't provide the stuff to actually make them.

On our current cruise, we're not getting off in Nassau or St. Thomas. Also, again for us, 5 drinks a day is nothing. I understand if it doesn't work out for others. Just a good value for us serious drinkers.

Glass of wine with lunch

If you drink this much just to get your moneys worth on the drink package is one thing, if this is normal, that's another thing. Vacation or not.

If you drink this much just to get your moneys worth on the drink package is one thing, if this is normal, that's another thing. Vacation or not.

That's pretty standard vacation drinking for us!

Given that we only go on one, maybe two, vacations a year I'm at peace with my temporary alcohol-enthusiasm ;)

I'm with you on this one. I'm not sure if I posted this on this thread already, but below is a list I made of my drink list every day. Please note that not one Tylenol or Advil was injured during this cruise :cool:

Day 1

Gin & Tonic

Long hammer IPA

Sierra Nevada IPA

Frozen Mojito

Coors Light

Long hammer IPA

Old Fashioned

Glass of wine

Old Fashioned

Gin & Tonic

Rye & ginger

bottle of water

Day 2

Espresso

FSOJ

Bloody ceasar

bloody ceasar

coors light

rye & ginger

hoegaarden

Old fashioned

Wine

dbl espresso

Champagne

rob roy

JAGER bomb

Goose Island IPA

Coors Light

Day 3

FSOJ

Dbl espresso

Frozen Mai tai

UK elderfire

Frozen Mojito

Gin & Tonic

Sam Adams Boston Lager

Corona

Old Fashioned

Wine

Manhattan

Gin & tonic

Day 4

Americano coffee

Dbl Espresso

Coors Light

rye & ginger

rye & ginger

Long hammer IPA

Wine

Wine

Hot shot dbl espresso with booze

Creme de menthe (double)

rye & ginger

rye & ginger

So if I added all that up, the Ultimate package was obviously right for me. Granted, if this were a 14 day cruise, I surelly would not have been able to keep this up. I don't think:rolleyes:

dp

Below is a link to a thread on this board that lists the 2015 drink prices. I'm not sure what you folks are drinking but I found almost no drinks as high as $12.00.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2176366

What am I missing?

That list is taken from the link that was posted way back. It is not accurate in many cases and appears to have been compiled prior to the price hikes.

Actually I'm wondering if each ship tailors its drink prices to the perceived market it is operating in at the time. The ship has it's own print shop obviously, to print the daily cruise compasses, so printing drinks and wine lists is easy. The Aussie region cruise I went on certainly had much higher prices that those shown in the photo of the drinks list although all other aspects of that list were the same.

Hmmmmm I wonder why the doubting Thomas's haven't returned.

I don't know if you're including me as a "doubting Thomas" but I've only been reporting what I saw on my cruise last week. There were plenty of $12 drinks, but also plenty that were lower priced. That is personal experience on the Serenade just a few days ago. It could vary from ship to ship, though.

Those prices are criminal! All the more reason to smuggle. Or come on over to princess. While I don't drink, I looked at the bar menu and the drinks were quite reasonable. About the same as in a restaurant at home. They don't have rock walls or surfing but they do have great food and nice ships, without the riff raff carnival seems to attract lately.

Actually went to Princess to check their situation out and their packages are exactly to the penny the same pricing as RCCL and the drink menus I found on Princess board here are almost the same as the ones dpostman posted earlier. I think there is a lot of exaggeration going on or at least some inaccuracy about prices here....but don't punch me out, that's JMHO.

I did some calculating today, just to see what kind of impact this drink price increase has on a cruise if I apply any available discounts and purchase the top drink package available (which I've been doing). I currently have both a Royal Caribbean and a Princess cruise booked -- same time of year, similar accommodations (GS on RCI and a Vista Suite on Princess), and from Texas ports to Mexico, Belize, and Roatan.

The Princess cruise is $70.75 PER DAY (cabin, drink packages, and tips) more expensive for each of us than the Royal Caribbean cruise! That's almost $1,000 for the week! I didn't calculate this in, but the Royal Caribbean cruise also has more OBC than the Princess cruise, making the difference even greater.

Even though drinks may be more expensive on Royal Caribbean, the savings in other areas off set that. Nobody likes to pay a high price for things, but if price is your biggest concern and the drink menu is the only thing you look at then you could be making a big mistake.

The big winner in my per diem sweepstakes today was my Celebrity Equinox cruise in March. I didn't think it was a completely fair comparison since I'm in Aqua Class instead of a suite, but the per diem is amazing thanks to the included classic beverage package and included tips. Even after I upgrade to the Premium package, my per diem is $45/day less than our RCI cruise, and that's before I figure in the whopping $600 of OBC I'm getting.

All this is to say -- complain about the drink prices if that makes you feel better. Then go shopping, make sure you're comparing apples, and pick the best fit for your budget and circumstances.

Edited by Cindy