Thinking of booking our first cruise

SquishTheWhale

So myself and my partner are thinking of booking our first cruise on the NCL Epic (first ever cruise as well as first NCL), to celebrate our joint 30th birthdays in January next year. We've found (what I think) is a good price of £409 for an inside cabin for a 10 day canaries cruise. There's also a balcony on offer for around £580.

As this is our first cruise we're not already 'spoilt' by having a balcony cabin previously, and we're the type of people who are just happy to be on holiday rather than whinging about the cabin. Should we book the cheaper inside cabin or splash out on the balcony? If we choose the balcony then we can also get one of the extra benefits which I'm sure you experts know all about! So that would negate the cost a little. Not sure which 'extra' we would go for- either the OBC or the dining package (neither of us are drinkers).

We are saving for a mortgage so price is definatley a factor for us- the upgrade has to be really worth the cost. What would you lovely people reccommend?

Hard to say which would be best. We have only ever sailed in an inside cabin once and didn't like the complete lack of natural light. Others on here will tell you you're not in it long enough to worry about it. Personally, I would go for at least an oceanview.

As for which package, I would say that you would find the main dining rooms and other free options perfectly fine for your first cruise. Perhaps pay for one meal in Le Bistro or Cagney's, but no need to 'force' yourselves to eat in the pay restaurants every night. If you get the OBC, that meal is paid for.

As for the drinks package, remember that it's not just alcohol. You can get virgin fruity drinks as well as the occasional beer, soda, and wine with dinner. I'm normally not a big drinker, but had the UBP on our last cruise and loved it. It's certainly the most expensive to buy (by a long way) on its own, but well worth having, IMHO.

Whatever you choose, have a wonderful cruise. I know many of us on this board wish we could sail with all the wonder we had when we did our first cruise!

I'll be completely honest... I've always had a balcony, and I think over 4 cruises of about 30 days in total, I've spent about one hour MAX on it.

Now, I sail in the Haven, so I have had access to a large Courtyard... but there is also a large deck and sun deck for all passengers - which you will use if you are not staying around in your cabin all day/night.

I would want a large window though, for sure.

Do a spreadsheet. I did one for a cruise I am considering, and the large window was less expensive than the inside when you factored in the OBP perk and the balcony was only slightly more expensive.

Whatever you pick, you will have a lovely vacation. Enjoy!

Since you are going on a 10 day cruise, I would suggest to spend the extra and get the balcony. A 5 day cruise could be okay for an inside, but 10 days you get to see so much more, coming in and out of ports, even just sitting on the balcony on sea days is so much more enjoyable. We have also stayed in inside cabins.

We did the 10 day Canary Island cruise last December, was a great cruise. Enjoy!

My thought would be staying with the inside cabin. You say that this is a 10 cruise through The Canary Islands in January. Since you are talking this far out, you have no idea what the weather will be and how much if any time you could have on your balcony.

I had a balcony for The Getaway's Transatlantic Crossing in January 2014 and was not able to use it all.

I would save your money for another use: Dining Plan, Beverage Plan, Shore Excursions, or some other use.

Have a wonderful cruise. Save your money for another cruise, you will get hooked and want another cruise.

My thought would be staying with the inside cabin. You say that this is a 10 cruise through The Canary Islands in January. Since you are talking this far out, you have no idea what the weather will be and how much if any time you could have on your balcony.

I had a balcony for The Getaway's Transatlantic Crossing in January 2014 and was not able to use it all.

I would save your money for another use: Dining Plan, Beverage Plan, Shore Excursions, or some other use.

Have a wonderful cruise. Save your money for another cruise, you will get hooked and want another cruise.

I totally agree. We use our inside cabin to sleep and spend most of our time doing other stuff. I would save the money and get the cheaper cabin. The only advice i would give is getting an inside cabin mid ship higher floor is just always quieter maybe use the extra money to splurge on drinks and restaurants if need be. Have fun on your cruise.

Edited by qtaromar1970

I would go for at least an oceanview.

I would want a large window though, for sure.

Normally I would agree with these posts but unfortunately the Epic only has inside and balcony cabins. There are no outside cabins on her. :(

We have cruised several different categories from an inside to a suite. We have decided that the inside is not for us and that the lowest cabin category we would cruise in would be an outside with a picture window (not a porthole even). But that is just us and the way we feel. Whichever cabin you choose I am sure you will have a great time!

Great that you and your partner are taking your 1st cruise, and happy birthday to you both.

Things to consider.

The weather may not be the best that time of year, so you may or may not be able to enjoy the balcony. However, when you have a balcony it makes the cabin seem bigger. You can look out into a different area which is nice like I say making the cabin seem bigger.

Are either or both of you by chance smokers? Most of the lines have banned smoking on the balconies at least here in the US. So if you are, don't count on that being a convenient place to catch a smoke.

Ship is huge and very stable. When I sailed on Epic I didn't feel the motion of the sea once in 7 days. Only time in 11 cruises I didn't feel any motion. A lot to do and see so 10 days is ideal.

Considering all the points, the price difference is not great, so might be a good idea to go for the balcony.

Enjoy and happy birthday to both of you. Cheers and happy sailing.

Jeff

jsamuel2@tampabay.rr.com

Thank you all for your advice- on cabins and otherwise! I agree that an outside cabin would be a great comprise but as has been said, its inside or balcony.

Taking into account what people have said the weather and other points I think we will go for the inside! I get seasick though so will try and get a mid ships one.

Thanks again for the advice I need to start doing some research and get booking!

We were on an 11 night Caribbean cruise for our honeymoon and in an inside stateroom. We spent hardly anytime in there and were more than happy with just showering and sleeping. We preferred to spend the money on other holiday fun :-)

You'll have a blast! We have done inside rooms and don't mind them at all. For a really scenic cruise like Alaska we love a balcony.

I sleep better in an inside cabin; I think they are quieter and the total darkness makes it easier for me to sleep.

So myself and my partner are thinking of booking our first cruise on the NCL Epic (first ever cruise as well as first NCL), to celebrate our joint 30th birthdays in January next year. We've found (what I think) is a good price of £409 for an inside cabin for a 10 day canaries cruise. There's also a balcony on offer for around £580.

As this is our first cruise we're not already 'spoilt' by having a balcony cabin previously, and we're the type of people who are just happy to be on holiday rather than whinging about the cabin. Should we book the cheaper inside cabin or splash out on the balcony? If we choose the balcony then we can also get one of the extra benefits which I'm sure you experts know all about! So that would negate the cost a little. Not sure which 'extra' we would go for- either the OBC or the dining package (neither of us are drinkers).

We are saving for a mortgage so price is definatley a factor for us- the upgrade has to be really worth the cost. What would you lovely people reccommend?

You really have to know yourselves and what you like/appreciate/will do. We have only done 1 cruise with a balcony and barely used it. We are not spend time in the room people, we like to do, see and do and are constantly participating in activities. But, if we were doing a place like Alaska where part of the cruise is seeing what you cruise by then we might pay for it. Otherwise, as we cruise by pretty scenery we just go to a public space on the boat and have a coffee or drink (depending on time of day) and watch (for a but until we decide to go do something). But if you are a sit on your patio and watch the scenery go by person than it might be worth it for you.

As far as OBC vs dining, again know thyself. OBC is great because it can be used for ANYTHING, including dining. But if you want the fancier more specialized restaurants every night (maybe you are foodies) then go for that, if once or twice is plenty maybe do the OBC and get a drink a couple nights, a couple specialty restaurants and maybe an excursion.

Here's the thing, you can't go wrong no matter what you do, it's a vacation!! And, just know that what you do is the right choice for you and it will be perfect and you won't know any better.

This advise applies for ALL cruiselines! Enjoy!