Dreams Sugar Bay Day Pass Review

JFontaine

For six months I planned a return trip to Trunk Bay, but the weather on the cruise to St. Thomas was very hot and I was afraid of going to the beach without an umbrella, so at the last minute I threw my research into the garbage and pulled out my cell phone to search 'luxury day pass St. Thomas'. Sugar Bay came up, read two reviews and off we went without reservations.

The resort is near Red Hook. We probably could have done a shared taxi, but I opted for a private ride, and it was $50 plus tip (getting a private cab at the pier is more expensive than getting one anywhere else). We were waved through the security gate at the hotel, and the receptionist was extremely pleasant and quickly sold me two day passes for $50 each, charged to my credit card.

The reception area is at the top of a mountain, so we waited for the shuttle bus for a ride to the beach/pool complex. Shuttles run continuously, and within five minutes we were on their empty beach, on padded lounge chairs. We brought towels, but they would have provided. It was 9 am. Only a few umbrellas, but there were many trees for shade. It was warm, not hot, and fairly breezy, making it a perfect day for me, no shade needed.

The beach wasn't large, and although people say it isn't pretty, I thought it was. There were beautiful views of St. John and Saba (I am told). The water was crystal clear, and there was a large reef to one side, upon which we saw a sea urchin (signs are posted warning of urchins). The beach got slightly more crowded as the day progressed, and was at its most crowded around 1 pm.

This is now billed as a "luxury" resort having recently been taken over by the Dreams chain. For lunch we had burgers and sandwiches from the grill and they were fine, but I took a look at the neighboring buffet and wondered where was the food? They had about three choices. Coming off a cruise ship, the buffet looked rather weak, especially for a luxury brand. There was minimal beach drink service (waitress looked new and unsure), but we had good service going to the bar, which was a few steps away (bar didn't open until 10:30 or 11). They had the usual beers by the can, and we enjoyed Carib. Sodas were fountain and diet coke didn't taste right, and we didn't have a mixed drink. There was a small, uninteresting store by the beach (we bought bottled sodas for $2 each), other stores by the main hotel. There was a large pool and a swimup type bar. This is a family resort and we didn't see any drunk or rowdy behavior. There was no loud music at the beach, and there were floats and other toys for rent, I believe.

When it was time to leave we took the shuttle back to the main hotel, and the doorman called a taxi, which was there in a few minutes (we were told they would be on-site, but when we went to leave, there weren't any). The return trip took about 20 minutes, and it was about $21 plus tip.

In the end we had six hours on the beach, and the day, for us, was less stressful than taking a cab to Red Hook, ferry, cab to beach, cab back to ferry, 2 pm ferry because we thought the 3 pm was cutting it too close if it was cancelled, and then another cab back to port. We both agreed that we would definitely return. Hope this was helpful.

It did include chair and umbrella (there weren't many umbrellas at the beach) and access to all restaurants. We got there before nine and were invited to have breakfast. The day pass ($50) ended at 5 - there is a more expensive one that covers dinner too. We did not go in the pool (we could have) and did not use snorkels or kayaks (so don't know if there were included). We were given a list of activities that we could have attended, but did not.

Thanks for taking the time to share a very informative post, that will be very helpful to others looking for an all inclusive day pass - this is the newest option! Glad you found the resort to be a nice experience for a day. We just toured the property and didn't eat or drink there but we liked what we saw.

Great report!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From what I recall, I read about the $50 day pass rate in the reviews that I pulled up on my phone. One was fairly recent. When I got to the hotel, there was no negotiation on the rate - I was happy with the $50.

The taxi was a regular car, not an open vehicle or a van. When you get to the taxi line the organizers try to push you into one of the groups (in this case, Red Hook - I think after the ferry terminal the van would go to the resort - this was likely a cheaper option for only two but would have taken longer, and I have a thing about being the last row of one of those vans). We asked for a private taxi, and one appeared out of the confusion fairly quickly.

I thought the beach was fine. You won't have it all to yourself, but it isn't the crowd that you see in some photos where the chairs are lined up on top of each other. Quite the opposite, there was a fairly wide space between chairs. It wasn't a very long or wide beach, but the sand was nice, and the water was clear, and the waves were not rough (although after a couple of steps into the water you are in up to your waist, there is a drop off of sorts). The view was very nice.

I wouldn't call this a five star resort, more like a 3 and a half or 4 stars. It is an older property and the food choices were basic. You might want to read some recent Trip Advisor reviews of the property, and just ignore the parts about the room. The bathroom by the beach was clean, and the padded chairs were comfortable.

I am a very picky traveler, and I spend an enormous time researching ports (love it). In 40 cruises I don't think I have ever changed course like this, but it worked out great for me, and I would not hesitate to return here. As with all resorts, the sooner you get there the better - not only are you going to get more value out of it, but you will get a better choice of chairs, and a better chance of getting in if they are crowded.

• 2 weeks later...

We're alcoholic drinks included in the pass? I know they generally are at those resorts, but I don't want to assume.

On our first trip to St. Thomas, we went on a boat tour and an island within the Virgin Island chain was pointed out to us as Saba. It's quite small, almost more rock than island IIRC, but OP could've been looking at that Saba.

On our first trip to St. Thomas, we went on a boat tour and an island within the Virgin Island chain was pointed out to us as Saba. It's quite small, almost more rock than island IIRC, but OP could've been looking at that Saba.

Yes you're right, this Saba Island is a few miles south of the STT airport and has great snorkeling.

There's also the Saba Rock Resort located off the North Sound of Virgin Gorda that others reading this thread may be familiar with.

Edited by blue_water

From what I recall, I read about the $50 day pass rate in the reviews that I pulled up on my phone. One was fairly recent. When I got to the hotel, there was no negotiation on the rate - I was happy with the $50.

The taxi was a regular car, not an open vehicle or a van. When you get to the taxi line the organizers try to push you into one of the groups (in this case, Red Hook - I think after the ferry terminal the van would go to the resort - this was likely a cheaper option for only two but would have taken longer, and I have a thing about being the last row of one of those vans). We asked for a private taxi, and one appeared out of the confusion fairly quickly.

I thought the beach was fine. You won't have it all to yourself, but it isn't the crowd that you see in some photos where the chairs are lined up on top of each other. Quite the opposite, there was a fairly wide space between chairs. It wasn't a very long or wide beach, but the sand was nice, and the water was clear, and the waves were not rough (although after a couple of steps into the water you are in up to your waist, there is a drop off of sorts). The view was very nice.

I wouldn't call this a five star resort, more like a 3 and a half or 4 stars. It is an older property and the food choices were basic. You might want to read some recent Trip Advisor reviews of the property, and just ignore the parts about the room. The bathroom by the beach was clean, and the padded chairs were comfortable.

I am a very picky traveler, and I spend an enormous time researching ports (love it). In 40 cruises I don't think I have ever changed course like this, but it worked out great for me, and I would not hesitate to return here. As with all resorts, the sooner you get there the better - not only are you going to get more value out of it, but you will get a better choice of chairs, and a better chance of getting in if they are crowded.

We stayed here for a week, YEARS ago, when it was the Wyndham Sugar Bay, and it was pretty dumpy back then.

I have since read some of the "newer" reviews on Trip Advisor, and it doesn't sound much better.:rolleyes:

The walk from the resort down to the pool/beach area is probably close to 100 stairs. We didn't use the shuttle.

The beach is VERY small and rocky.

The pool was nice, as was the bar at the pool.

Hopefully Dreams will make it nicer and get it up to their standards.

We're AMResorts members and toured Dreams Sugar Bay while staying at the Sapphire Beach Resort and had a chance to see all of the different room styles, public areas, pool and beach. We thought the property was great and had a nice, comfortable ambiance as compared to the typical dreams properties. If looking for a room steps from the water at one of the nicest beaches (or just a nice beach for the day) Sapphire Beach resort is a great option. For an AI experience DSB looks quite nice.