Taste of De Librije

ksmaxey

We are considering purchasing this special dinner night in the Pinnacle on our upcoming cruise.

Have you experienced it? Was it worth it?

Is it worth upgrading to 5 oz wine vs the 2oz wine tastings with the meal?

thanks in advance. I appreciate the wealth of knowledge and experience shared by the group.

Kevin

I did this on the Eurodam last autumn, and this was without question the best meal that I have ever eaten on board a ship. I consider it worth the upcharge, and I have every intention of doing it again on the Rotterdam in October.

In my view, the 2 oz. pours are perfectly sufficient with the meal, but that can be very much a matter of personal taste. One option is for one of you to buy the larger pours, and then share. :)

We loved DeLrije in October on the Eurodam. It was truly a once in a lifetime dining experience. Everything from the service to the food and presentation was just phenomenal.

We pre-booked on-line and it already includes a wine tasting with each coarse. You really must be a foodie or someone who is not afraid to try a different spin on a masterfully inspired dish to truly enjoy this luxurious experience.

Allow yourself 2.5 to 3 hours to really soak up every single second of the dinner. We were so glad we did it. It was one of my top three dining experiences of all-time. Well-worth every penny. If I sail on another "DAM" ship that offer De Librije, I'll be there!

I am glad that I tried the Taste of De Librije, but I would not book it again. I am not a fan of deconstructed cuisine, I discovered. Service was good, food was good, but I prefer the Le Cirque dining experience.

I would recommend the smaller pours of wine. We had ordered the 5 oz. pours. (The wines were excellent, we thought.) The different wines with the courses came so quickly that often my dining companion and I had not finished the previous glass of wine when another one arrived. That also added a bit of negativity to our dining experience.

Edited by rkacruiser

We did it but were disappointed. Is it better then the dining room? Depends, I rather have a well cooked steak (rare please!) then a overcooked fish. It certainly were more interesting flavors and it was fun.

Was it on par with what you'd expect from a Michelin star restaurant, let alone a menu from a 3* cook? No, our meal wasn't. The wines were mediocre, we had cork in some and there were problems with the food (overcooked).

I understand that on a ship it's more difficult and I also understand that maybe my expectations were too high (was on our first cruise too), but I wouldn't recommend it if you are expecting Michelin star quality, if you are looking for a more interesting meal then the dining room, sure, go ahead :)

cruise_bunnies

Edited by cruise_bunnies

I am glad that I tried the Taste of De Librije, but I would not book it again. I am not a fan of deconstructed cuisine, I discovered. Service was good, food was good, but I prefer the Le Cirque dining experience.

I would recommend the smaller pours of wine. We had ordered the 5 oz. pours. (The wines were excellent, we thought.) The different wines with the courses came so quickly that often my dining companion and I had not finished the previous glass of wine when another one arrived. That also added a bit of negativity to our dining experience.

Thank you for the information about the wine and how it came too quickly.