Coral Princess Panama Canal review, long

brlama

The following is a general review about the ship followed by some commentary on each of our port stops during our recent Coral Princess trip to Aruba, Cartagena, Panama Canal, Costa Rica and Jamaica. I understand that the ship will be moving toward the Alaska route after the next trip or two.

Couple of comments about the cruise ship. We were recently on the Royal Princess out of New York for a cruise, so my perspective coming to the Coral was a bit worrisome. I found the ship to be perfectly fine, while the atrium area is a bit smaller the rest of the ship seemed to flow nicely, I never felt I was on too small of a ship. We walked the deck each day on deck 14 with and were able to log 4-5 miles with easy walking area although it unfortunately snakes through a smoking area, the area is not that big, so you can handle holding your breath. We had a mini suite on deck 10, which was identical to the suite we had on the Princess Royal. I did not get the internet package, I understand it was quite slow, I went without email for days at a time, that felt pretty good. We almost never used the elevators which is a good way to burn off calories (i.e. alcohol). I always saw a line during peak times, often we would go up or down several decks at the same time the elevator arrived from the floor we left. There seemed to be plenty to do, although we did not attend any shows, just was not our thing. On any given day there were lectures, demonstrations or other activities to do. We did utilize the Serenity Spa (reserved outdoor seating area with pool) so we did not have to engage in lounge chair wars. The Serenity area is another up-charge, but given that you are guaranteed a seat, in a specific spot, they constantly bring you citrus water, deliver food that you order ($3 additional) after lunch they serve tea, more free sandwiches and snacks around 3 PM. I felt the cost was worth it.

Did the ultimate ships tour, well worth the extra charge, sign up quick as you get on board, limited space. Spent first 25 minutes on bridge, Captain personally guided us in this area, exceptionally thorough and he went through virtually every switch, dial or instrument. The other areas we visited included the galley, laundry, stage area, medical area, print shop and mooring room. We did not get into the engine room but had a very thorough guide of the engine control room and was able to get all of our tech questions answered. Some hours later received a gift bag that had a Princess robe, ornate picture frame, pics from various areas of us on tour (no cameras allowed) note pad with name, apron etc. A few hours after that a bottle of wine with a note apologizing for some inconvenience we had during tour. I spoke later with another tour member, not sure what the perceived inconvenience was, however bottle of wine was nice.

Demographic of cruise passengers was a little surprise, we are in our mid-50’s and were definitely one of the younger ones on board. Saw 3 children the entire trip. I would estimate that we were a small percentage of the passengers under the age of 60.

We primarily went to the specialty restaurants, the Bayou Steak House and Sabatini’s. No complaints about either, my wife usually got the filet which was huge, I usually opted for the Porterhouse or New York strip. All good, would recommend, even with the up charge of $20 US in my opinion worth it. Much more quiet dining experience, got to know each waiter, Emil the singing waiter at Sabatini’s is not to be missed. Usually got the Horizon’s buffet for breakfast or lunch. Could see why Noro could be spread, those who did not use hand sanitizer before grabbing plates…… witnessed one women wipe off her plate with napkin and return to line for food, another man who ate something out of a bowl, return to the line for more of something passing spoon back and forth between dishes. My advice get there when the line opens and hopefully reducing chances of cross contamination. There is a pizza bar, grill and other food opportunities on board. I will say I was not overly impressed by the lunch offering at the Horizon buffet, just stuck with veggies and salad most days. The wait staff practically tripped over themselves during any of our visits to any of the eating establishments. I found all of the staff to be outstanding, paged our room attendant and I think he was there in about 10 seconds. We used the laundry service for some of our shirts, always back in a day or two, minimal charge.

Considered the drink package and passed, at $49 per day per person was approximately $1,100 for us, that is a lot of beer and wine. I know it also covers specialty coffees and water etc. Just was not worth it in my opinion, especially after I discovered buy one get one free from 3-4 in a bar and later at night at another bar, but by that time of night, damage was already done. They do not over-advertise the BOGO, need to do a little research. We were able to buy 2, 3 or more of any drink and take it back to room. There was no lack of drink consumption on our part and we had ended up considerably ahead of the pre-pay package. That is assuming that beers at happy hour, more pre-dinner, some post dinner is not enough for you. We spent about $600 in the bars which for us was much cheaper than the package. While I ramped up consumption from our early happy hour onward I did not drink anything prior to that. I see many comments about if the package is worth it, up to each individual, depends on what you consume, for us it was advantageous not to be on it. Met with other passengers who were very happy with it, just one of those things that end up being a personal decision for all.

Stayed pre-cruise at the Westin on the beach, not cheap (+$450 US) but that seems to be rate on the beach. We had plenty of time to visit Las Olas Boulevard area via Water Taxi. We boarded the Coral Princess just after 1230 on February 27 in Fort Lauderdale at the Port Everglades terminal. The terminal is actually in Ft Lauderdale area and is about 10 minutes away from the beach hotels. Traffic was heavy going into the terminal as there where several ships boarding that day (Holland America, Norwegian, and the Royal Princess. You will need photo ID to enter the terminal and the security did check our trunk, it was a very cursory inspection. Once in the terminal there was a slight delay but no issues.

Ship left late from port, but no issues, once at sea the waves and wind picked up, this was the pattern most of the trip, some rocking and such, but no issues once you use Bonine. The next two days were at sea and on both days the ship was rocking, so much so that the swimming pool was closed as the water was sloshing back and forth splashing onto the decks.

Aruba entry was very easy, not a tender port, did the craft market just across the street from the exit, vendors asked, but were not overly pushy. Did not see anything of real interest, just a lot of trinkets, refrigerator magnets, T-shirts, old license plates etc. Did not see much original art work (prints) just the same basic beach scene painted a dozen different ways. Downtown area does have plenty of shopping with a mall (very small stores) selling a variety of brand name stuff, was not real interested in shopping passed through that area quickly. Of note, there is a public restroom in the mall which was handy. Located a Starbucks (free Wi-Fi). Did some walking about town, just more stores. We did secure a taxi at the cruise terminal, found a very good driver with a newer Toyota van, $90 later we were on an hour and half whirlwind tour. Fortunately he was a good driver, although he seemed to have one speed both talking and driving, fast! We saw the Ayo rock formation. Be aware, the climb is not overly strenuous, but certainly not good for those with limited ability, the steps were un-even and you have to climb through one portion of the rock. Local vendor will selling beer at this stop. It is basically a large series of granite rocks. Good view from the top. Also stopped at the California lighthouse, did some residential drive through and drove through the Palm Beach area. Driver was willing to stop at any point, we pre-negotiated price. Not sure how that compared with the bus tour price, but saw plenty of non-air conditioned bus patrons who were not faring as well, Aruba was hot!

Another sea day, cruise speed was very slow, but arrived in Cartagena as scheduled. Was able to get some flying fish video while at sea. Approach to Cartagena took place early morning but got some good pics of the Virgin Carmen statute in harbor. Very industrial port, high rise residential areas all appear identical white architecture. Took a Princess excursion to the old city. I would not walk to anyplace in this town from the harbor it is not the best of areas. Take a private or arranged tour. Bus tour was tolerable, guide spoke decent English, pronunciations a bit of a struggle, but quite tolerable. Motorcycle traffic weaves in and out of lanes, both sides of bus. I was stressed just sitting in bus watching, cannot imagine how drivers manage in Cartagena. First stop was the Castillo San Felipe de Baras circa 1536. Aggressive street vendors at street level, walking tour is not for those with limited ability, I did see several that tried to climb and could not manage. From there, more bus time this time to walled city portion of Cartagena. Once inside the walled area minimal traffic, although more street vendors. We saw the Palace of the Inquisition. Most everything in the site is a replica, but heard from a few comments on those on the tour that they did not like it there. Think the building title would have been a sufficient description of what occurred there, some seemed offended. Next stop was a local demonstration of dancing, the dancers did not seem overly enthusiastic performance was adequate. We also visited the Church of St Peter Claver. Fair warning, the good Fathers remains are on display, beautiful courtyard outside of church, also display inside of various relics. Next stop was a walking tour or the shopping, were allotted 45 minutes to wander and generally see the sites, vendor offering in this are much better. People crowded into the emerald store for a free bottled water. Fortunately there were local vendors selling ice cold beer which helped considerably. Our group was ready to leave for another site, when we were delayed by the same couple who were late for the last few stops. Some cannot seem to understand basic instructions to be back at the bus at 1400. This couple caused an overall delay of over 40 minutes between the various stops, I would have left them. But apparently there is some liability for the tour operator. A few people can influence an entire bus opinion due to their behavior. We had exactly five minutes at our last stop due to previously mentioned couple, which was just a shopping stop. Made it back to cruise ship, definitely one of the last busses to arrive, they were taking down the entrance line into the ship. The good news is that the ship would not leave as it was a Princess tour. I was tempted to get a local tour which was highly recommended but I did not as this was a worry. I observed one passenger fill his water bottle from a wall faucet in the old section of the city, not something I would attempt.

Panama Canal next stop, arrived at Canal about 0530. Entry into Canal is slow, so plenty of opportunity to get pics. We were on Deck 10, starboard side and had a great view, view reverse on return trip. It was impressive and the narrator on the Princess did a great job as he lived there in his youth. He knew every possible fact one would ever want to know about the canal. We got into Gatun Lake and took another Princess excursion to transit the entire locks via a smaller vessel. Located somewhere in the small print of the trip description was the hour and half bus ride to get to tour ship and view new canal (fleeting glance through the window of the bus). We were the second bus of either eight or nine that were on this ship, all 319 passengers, plus crew and guides. In my humble opinion this tour was way over-sold. Accommodations on tour ship were minimal at times there were over 20 people in line for the restroom. I recognize that the canal traffic controls the timing there were some lengthy delays crossing the last three locks which look virtually identical to the first three locks. Tour ship was crowded, seating tight and I am not sure there were 319 seats. Some of the fellow passengers felt the need to lean over the rails and block everyone’s view in the aisle. I patiently waited for one of these people to take their pics and move on when it became apparent that they planned to spend the 6 hours blocking 3 aisles of viewing anything but their posterior. My wife kindly asked them to move on or over when the fireworks started. The stated they paid for this cruise (duh, everyone on ship tour did also) they saw no reason to move. At this point fellow passengers in aisles behind this voiced a similar opinions and they moved on. Irony being what it is, the same couple seeking relief from the sun complained that people were blocking their view. We got off in Panama City and had another hour and half ride back to Colon to meet the ship. Would I take another full transit trip? I suppose I would be wondering what I missed had we not taken it. Just my opinion, once you have been through the first 3 locks, not much changes on the last 3 locks going to the Pacific. I could easily skip that tour as the cruise ship turns around and retraces route through the same 3 locks that you just transited. Would have saved myself 3 hours of bus ride plus 6 hours on a cramped tour ship that seemed to go impossibly slow, in fact we went the opposite direction to kill some time and allow for canal traffic. Often the tour ship was so slow the engine exhaust would find its way onto the cabin deck as we lacked forward speed or just the wind was blowing in such a way that the exhaust seemed to be a regular reminder of the slow pace.

We were bussed to Colon, where we met the ship. It is definitely not a town to visit, many squatters have taken up residence in various buildings and the conditions look at best like a slum. There is a controlled area next to the ship for shopping and restaurants. While our bus made it back in plenty of the time, other busses were delayed due to some road issues encountered, the ship awaited their arrival, another benefit of a tour arranged by the ship. Couple of general observations in Panama, there is trash along virtually every place we passed with the bus, the tour guide indicated that there was an effort to change the littering habit. Bus was tight seating, I am 6’4” and just cannot fit into the seat, this crossing legs is only option or head to the back of the bus and getting one of those seats. Lunch on board tour ship was tolerable, but nothing to recommend. Fortunately they provided plenty of water/soda for free and beer for purchase.

Cost Rica next stop at Port Limon. Another industrial looking port, however the shopping area next to ship is quite decent. Much better selection of local crafts, vendors quite nice, they all will ask to have you look but will take no for an answer. We bought much of our coffee here, remains to be seen how good it is, but prices were the best of any stop. We took a tour to Veragua Rain Forest Park. This time very nice bus, adequate seats for my long frame. Excellent guide, knew country history, politics, economy inside an out without political spin. Bus stopped several times to show off a particular tree or plan, three toed sloth or other topics of interest. Rainforest was in dry season, each group is broken into smaller groups once at the location where one of the employees of the park guides you on wooden walkways to various displays. Very easy walk. At one point you get to the aerial tram which was a 10 minute ride down to more steps. The tour then visits a water fall, about 400 steps or so, not in the best of shape, walk carefully and if you are not physically capable do not go! Guide found a pair of tree snakes, non- venomous to show which was neat. Waterfall is a nice view, but you cannot enter the water area, you are suspended on a steel grate above it. Back up aerial tram to a lunch area, light sandwich and drink (drank the water out of the fountain not thinking about it, no ill effects). One last lecture stop which is an attempt to get you to donate. Bus ride back to ship, challenging bus route, very narrow “roads” rough terrain, driver had it covered well. This place is well off the main road, so be prepared for essentially a graded road full of dips/holes. I had no issues with it, just an awareness that you are not riding smooth pavement.

Ocho Rios last stop, not a lot of time in this port, grabbed a four wheel jeep tour that included Dunn River Falls. Went through Fern Gully in a downpour. Open jeep back made that part interesting, fortunately driver had garbage bags that doubled as rain ponchos. A stop on the way up at a vendor(pretty sure driver had some sort of arrangement with this vendor) went through several small towns very off the beaten track area. Very interesting to see the real Jamaica. Stopped at overlook on Murphy Hill could see our very small cruise shop down below, another vendor stop here also. Stopped at a coffee “plantation” got a fruit/rum punch treat here. Felt a little bad about the coffee expert, he did a nice presentation on the aspects of growing coffee and was selling bags of coffee at $US 20. After Columbia and Costa Rica stops everyone had purchased coffee for considerably less money, he did not sell any. Ride down toward sea eventually getting to Dunn River Falls. Driver was very specific, do not buy stuff here, do not take a “gift” from anyone, buy crafts back at port area. Vendor were aggressive, guide was very careful keeping us together. Got to bottom of falls, only six of us made the trek up the falls. You can rent water shoes or wear sandals with a good tread as I did. We had to go up falls with a guide, our group being smaller we were added onto, me being the “link” between the two groups. It was not a good match, our guide was moving fast, the group I was attached to was significantly older and just could not keep up. I had to break the link and guide the older group up until the next stop. I felt that was not the best circumstance. The guide would rant and rave at the line being broken, but certainly did not care about it enough to slow down. No matter the difficulty we all made it up, although my group had several falls/slips no apparent injuries, I am sure they felt the pain the next day.

Overall ship seemed to leave early at every stop which would complicate life for those arranging their own trips. I found several decent recommendations from others on the CC site or Trip Advisor, given that the ship often seemed to vary port hours the very day we stopped I would have some concern about arranging a private tour unless you had some certainty of getting back on time, as noted we often were the last bus to arrive back usually some time from when we were supposed to be there. I also felt that the port times could have been a bit longer, but I am sure that the schedule and port fees enter into the equation of how long the ship spends in port.

We experienced several time changes, the first being Aruba on Atlantic time, then to Cartagena on Eastern, then Panama on Central, back again for trip to Jamaica, then ahead again for Daylight savings time. I probably missed one of the changes, fortunately the phone in the room reset automatically. I understand the need, but sure makes planning crazy and a little uncertainty when you are in those countries.

Overall great trip aside from a few rude passengers all was great, we certainly enjoyed ourselves. The ship seems to be in good condition, the crew was always painting or varnishing something on deck. The only thing I would note in our mini-suite is that the couch looked a little tired, but everything else seemed fresh and up to date, same for interior common areas, I did not see anything that showed any appreciable age. Was not over-hyped on the “opportunities” available for extra charge on ship, for example the photographers are always about and wanting you to pose (I declined all of these), the Lotus Spa is a different issue, I know they try to upsell you everything, I skipped that opportunity, my wife was subjected to it once, on subsequent visits the indicated no selling or I walk, seemed to work. While it was a great trip, I do not feel a desperate need to return to Panama canal area, although I could be talked into Costa Rica again. I found everyone on the ships staff to be very helpful and left appropriate tip. I heard differing opinions if they get to keep it or it is spread amongst the crew.

Hope all found the review useful. Feel free to email or reply to this post with any questions/comments. Captdave12@yahoo.com

Thanks for your great and detailed review. Your experience was similar to ours, except we liked the Panama Canal transit add-on tour better. As for your Ft. Lauderdale hotel, you were there at the most expensive time of the year when hotels near the beach in South Florida are serious $$$. If you want a decent hotel room then under $200, you usually have to stay a long way from the beach.

Thanks so much for your terrific review. We are going to do this next December and found so much good advice shared within. We'd been going back and forth about whether to do the small vessel transit through to the west.....or just stay on the Coral and retrace the locks. Your experience certainly helps with the decision. My DH says getting off in Cartagena sounded scary even before reading your post so I foresee a quiet day aboard when we are docked in Columbia. But Costa Rica sounds great and we are also looking forward to Grand Cayman which we'll visit instead of Jamaica. Thanks again!

Thanks so much for your terrific review. We are going to do this next December and found so much good advice shared within. We'd been going back and forth about whether to do the small vessel transit through to the west.....or just stay on the Coral and retrace the locks. Your experience certainly helps with the decision. My DH says getting off in Cartagena sounded scary even before reading your post so I foresee a quiet day aboard when we are docked in Columbia. But Costa Rica sounds great and we are also looking forward to Grand Cayman which we'll visit instead of Jamaica. Thanks again!

We did this cruise on the Coral in February. Grand Cayman is a much better stop than Ocho Rios, for sure. The Cartegena By Land & Sea Tour is fabulous and very small. We loved it, especially the minimal bus time. The boat ride around the harbor and its views of the city were wonderful. The ferry trip in the Panama Canal is not to be missed - the experience of being in a small vessel and sharing a lock with a container ship is quite different than being on the Coral when you enter the Atlantic locks. To be able to say that you've been through all of the locks in the Panama Canal is a very special bragging right. So many of the men on the ferry with us said that the excursion made the whole trip.

Thanks for your great and detailed review. Your experience was similar to ours, except we liked the Panama Canal transit add-on tour better. As for your Ft. Lauderdale hotel, you were there at the most expensive time of the year when hotels near the beach in South Florida are serious $$$. If you want a decent hotel room then under $200, you usually have to stay a long way from the beach.

Understanding that everyone has different expectations for a hotel. We stayed two nights Feb 25, 26 just down the block from Westin at Seville St. in a kitchenette for $120 a night taxes included. Not 5 star, no pool, but spacious, clean, and the friendliest people. Off the street room with a small patio behind the building. Less than half a block to the beach. Free parking and lots of shopping/eating in walking distance. Maybe not for everyone but we liked it.

Last year we stayed at a small bed and bath right by the beach --Alhambra hotel after reading all the great reviews on Trip Advisor- The room rates are very reasonable-If you just want a 1 or 2 night stay before cruise- $100-$150 or so, nothing fancy- but comfortable--small pool, nice sitting area--They sell out 6 months to a year in advance---

We have decided not to get off the Coral on canal day. After reading all of the reviews regarding the ferry, long bus ride, etc. it just isn'f for us- maybe in our much younger days- (we are in early 60's)---

• 3 weeks later...

Good review. We did this trip last November. Really liked the full transit ferry. Felt we saw so much more. Bus ride never seemed that long to us. Did Grand Cayman instead of Jamaica which, IMHO, is a much nicer port. In Cartagena we, did the Monastery and Old Town tour which was very nice. Agree it is not a port to explore on your own. And you are spot on about Colon.