Freedom - Eastern 4/5

Not going to do an in depth review. Just some opinions related to topics I've been reading here since I booked the cruise.

In general - loved the cruise, loved the ship. My wife and I had cruised twice previously - 5 day on Carnival with our teens. Thought we'd try a 7 day without the kids.

The ship is very nice, we strolled along the Royal Promenade many times. Great idea RC. We enjoyed the shows, Casey does an excellent job as Cduise Director. The video of a "typical Casey day" was a hoot. Don't miss the ice show either!

Food was good. We're no gourmets, but we enjoyed everything we had. Some confusion on our part on how exactly "My time" dining works had us stuck at a crappy table right by the door the second night. Dennis explained it to us and we reserved an early time and got a nice table with friendly servers the rest of the cruise.

Also, up in the my time dining level even on formal nights there were very few tuxes or even suits in evidence. We had 2 formal nights, 2 smart casual and 3 casual dress nights. I did see one man turned away for trying to enter with a bathing suit and sandals.

The stop at CocoCay was fun. We mostly walked around enjoying the island. We also got off at St. Thomas but weren't all that thrilled with the giant jewelry store that downtown has become. I'd suggest booking an excursion to St.John instead. St. Maarten was very nice. Booked a tour with Bernard's (highly recommended) and had Junior as our tour guide. Friendly, informative and funny, plus beer and rum punch! Got to see a bit of the island, the beaches, Marigot (Sarafina's pastries, yum), Maho beach and the planes and got dropped off in downtown Philipsburg for shopping. We liked the whole atmosphere and look of Philipsburg much more than Charlotte Amalie.

As noted on other threads there was a medical emergency that required a pit stop in Nassau. We were kept informed by the crew and Captain Ron did his best to get us back on track. Only downside was a windy day or two as we made up time. Got into St. Thomas an hour late, but the captain gave us an extra hour at the end of the day.

We had a balcony cabin (6390) for the first time. Would never cruise without one again. Makes the room seem so much larger because you can sit out and get some air while others in your party shower, etc. Also at the end of the day I enjoyed sitting on the deck reading before bedtime.

Getting on/off the ship was well run and efficient. Despite the number of people on the ship it never felt crowded.

Any questions, just ask.

Thanks for the review. We've done both the ship and itinerary before but very excited to be doing both again next March. Any thoughts regarding CoCo Cay? We were there before the cabanas were built and there was really not much but sitting on the beach to do. What did you think of existing activities now?

I was also on the 5th sailing. Overall it was a good cruise, I will say I was dissapointed in the 70's street party. They would start a song, people would start to dance and about halfway through the song they would go to another one. People around us were complaining and getting frustrated. After about an hour of it people began to leave.

Thanks for the review Tom. 19 days and counting. We've sailed her a couple times before but not since the rehab. We got bored with St. Thomas a long time ago and agree on making the trek to St. John. It's a beautiful island.

Loved your review, you covered all the important things.

I do have a question,do you remember how much the Bernard's tour was in st.marten.

Thanks

Was $40 per person for the island tour. I think the one the spends more time at beaches is a little more. Only a $5 per person deposit required on internet so low risk if something comes up.

And for $40 in addition to the tour I had 2 beers and a small cup of rum punch!

I was also on the 5th sailing. Overall it was a good cruise, I will say I was dissapointed in the 70's street party. They would start a song, people would start to dance and about halfway through the song they would go to another one. People around us were complaining and getting frustrated. After about an hour of it people began to leave.

Did you leave during the early part when the DJ was playing? Because it turned into a huge party when the FOS entertainment group took over. Casey and company dressed as Village People, etc. Seemed most people were having fun.

Thanks for the review. We've done both the ship and itinerary before but very excited to be doing both again next March. Any thoughts regarding CoCo Cay? We were there before the cabanas were built and there was really not much but sitting on the beach to do. What did you think of existing activities now?

Was our first time at CocoCay. Seems they had a number of water excursions available. Also an inflated playground out in the water a ways. Honestly my wife's back was giving her trouble the first couple days after the long drive down so we mostly walked around and took it easy.

One phone was $115 for the week. Tried that for my wife but then dropped it as she wasn't able to get all texts and such.

If you wait a few days they lower it for the last 2-3 days. $59, then around $30 maybe. If you can do without a couple days, then check everything in port at St. Thomas and St. Maarten you can get away cheaper paying for only 3 days

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...