Passport/southampton

Hi

When I was on the phone the other day, regarding my southampton, Bruge, Le Havre, Southampton I was told my passport had to still have seven months left on it.

Is that correct? I am from the UK.

I went ahead and updated my passport but my friend might book few weeks before

Thank you

Many countries will not admit people with fewer than six months validity remaining on their passport. Some cruise lines may insist on a longer period, it is up to them to indicate this in their terms and conditions. One point to note on UK passports that last ten years is that they can be renewed at any time you like. Where up to six months remains valid at the time of renewal they will add the time back into the new document. Therefore you can get a ten and a half years passport. So you do not lose out with early renewals. This is not true of US passports where you effectively get a notional nine and a half years passport for the money.

Regards John

Hi

When I was on the phone the other day, regarding my southampton, Bruge, Le Havre, Southampton I was told my passport had to still have seven months left on it.

Is that correct? I am from the UK.

I went ahead and updated my passport but my friend might book few weeks before

Thank you

For travelling within Europe your passport just has to be valid, as per FCO website.

"Your passport should be valid for the proposed duration of your stay; you don’t need any additional period of validity on your passport beyond this. "

Taken from the UK.GOV website:

Entry requirements

Passport validity

Your passport should be valid for the proposed duration of your stay; you don’t need any additional period of validity on your passport beyond this.

This applies to both Belgium and France.

Pete

I believe that is a cruise line stipulation about 6 months remaining. The official guideline for the countries you are travelling to state 'valid for the duration of your stay'. You can carry forward up to 9 months, not 6, which is great but if your friend has 9 months or less now, no harm in getting a new one and carrying forward the remaining time, to save any possible issues.

i have just had this situation we go at the end of April on anthem passport agency says if the passport is in date on your return then its ok but Royal Caribbean says six months so i went with Royal Caribbean even though i know they are wrong but i wont to go on my little cruise any way sent it off last Tuesday they got it Wednesday 8th April and it come back today at 7.15 am HOORAY panic over dont chance it get it changed

Taken from the UK.GOV website:

Entry requirements

Passport validity

Your passport should be valid for the proposed duration of your stay; you don’t need any additional period of validity on your passport beyond this.

This applies to both Belgium and France.

Pete

This is the official policy of the relevant governments. Unfortunately the cruise line can also have a policy of x months validity after date of return. In these instances they may well refuse to board you onto the ship. So although you might well be able to enter France and Belgium the cruise line might say not on this ship.

I think it is unwise not to renew especially as the UK Passport Agency will give you a full ten years plus your remaining less than six months on any pre-existing passport.

Regards John

This is the official policy of the relevant governments. Unfortunately the cruise line can also have a policy of x months validity after date of return. In these instances they may well refuse to board you onto the ship. So although you might well be able to enter France and Belgium the cruise line might say not on this ship.

I think it is unwise not to renew especially as the UK Passport Agency will give you a full ten years plus your remaining less than six months on any pre-existing passport.

Regards John

John, just so you know, they will carry forward up to a maximum of 9 months, not 6 on the renewals.

https://www.gov.uk/renew-adult-passport

As I said before, I definitely agree with renewing and doing it now, while the office is still relatively quiet. I did mine 18 months ago through Post Office Check & Send - carried forward 8 months and the new passport was back in 3 days! It's best to have it sorted than risk a problem with the cruise line.

Worse case is you DON'T do it, quoting the posts above for your reasons stating the government doesn't require it, and then the Cruise line says in OUR terms and conditions WE require it. SOrry NO CRUISE for you as your passport isn't valid and you were told.

Is it worth losing the cruise just to try and prove that the countries are right and the cruise company is wrong. IT's the Cruise lines rules and if you want to cruise, follow the rules.

The choice is yours at the end of the day, and if you want to risk not sailing or even not getting a refund for the money you paid as well, then risk it all.