Deposit, Final payment for Explorer

cruiseluv

We've just bought insurance ( we're Australian) for $720 for the year. Doesn't include America or Canada but will cover us for the Dubai to Cape Town cruise in November as well as Bali and Australian holidays.

We are just about to pay our final payment on our cruise and fingers crossed we will not have any reason to cancel.

Hi Machotspur, our next cruise is aboard Silversea Whisper Barbados / Amazon / Barbados in November; the trip insurance cost is $4,400 for the two of us in a Royal suite.

Hey, you take care of that ticker, hear?!

$4,400 :eek: OMG - my dodgy heart has just missed a beat or two ! With insurance rates like that a tent on the beach suddenly has some appeal !

Close to free compared to what we pay in the US.

Total Truth Rallydave!

Questioning things after reading the difference is cost of travel insurance on this board.

I have just always paid it without thinking, but at $1,127. per person under 60 for one cruise - I am going to seriously reconsider my options in future!:(

Hi Folks - I believe there is a fairly logical explanation why "we Yanks" seem to be paying a lot higher trip insurance premiums than some of the other international posters on this board (citizens of the UK, Canada, Australia, etc.).

And this is NOT intended to turn "political". It's simply "reality"......Those other countries have "National Healthcare Systems" which cover varying degrees of emergency healthcare costs when their citizens travel abroad to many different areas. Particularly if their travels take them to EEA (European Economic Areas) and "Commonwealth" countries (but Not the U.S., where no reciprocal agreement exists).

When we (US citizens) travel outside the U.S., those of us under 65 do not have the same type of National Healthcare System to assist with, or defray any of the costs for any needed emergency medical care. Our private insurance programs that we have (such as Blue Cross, Aetna, Kaiser, United Health Care, etc.) don't cover emergency medical treatment or transportation when we leave the U.S. And for those of us over 65, who are covered by a "national healthcare system" (Medicare), that program does not cover those expenses (medical and emergency transportation) when we're outside the U.S. (However, Tricare for Life does).

So that's why our (U.S.) medical travel/emergency insurance premiums are naturally going to be much higher for us (U.S. citizens) than for citizens of these other countries (but remember also, with us not having some form of universal single-payer/National Healthcare program, we also have income tax rates that are lower than those found in those other countries - the money to fund Universal healthcare has to come from someplace).

We U.S. travelers aren't being "gouged". It's just that the citizens of GB, Europe, Canada, Australia, etc. have healthcare programs (and believe me, they pay for it!) which defray some/most emergency medical costs when they're abroad. We in the U.S., do not. And that's why we have to pay more for travel insurance premiums than they do. The cost/risk (to the insurance companies) to medically insure U.S. citizens while they are on international travel, is more expensive since our "government" is not going to defray some of those potential/real costs. Regards.

pingpong 1, While you make a great point about a portion of the insurance premium, you don't go far enough. Believe, but can't be sure, the consumer protection provisions in various countries outside the US possibly protect the insurance companies thus reducing the rates.

As I said, your explanation does cover part of the difference in costs and my comment above may cover some more of the increases, the fact is that the cost of the insurance goes up based on two parameters, age, and value of the cruise being insured.

While your post covers health insurance which is a function of age and my comment covers increased cost of the cruise, I'm now thinking there is something else that has to be covered in the US and that is litigation. The US is the most litigious country in the world and many of us pay for the hot coffee put in ones lap without thinking, and many other absolutely stupid law suits that are eventually settled or one with absurd payouts.

More than likely there are other explanations but, even considering all of the above, still think insurance in the US has become beyond absurd especially when seeing the prices paid by other nationalities. As pingpong 1 stated, trying to keep this post non-political but, firmly believe we are being ripped off when purchasing cruise insurance.

All of this is another reason to get a Sapphire Preferred Card and get at least the first $10K per person covered for the small cost of $95/year for the card and can easily be recovered by using the card and selling the points for real money!!!!! Spend $9500 per year and the fee is covered!!!

RallyDave - And I agree with all your points, as well. :p

All of the above-mentioned factors "play into the mix" when insurance companies set their rates. Risk/cost/reward (for the company) are all components of insurance pricing. Ultimately, and particularly in the the case of travel insurance, it might also have to do with the question, "Why does a Mercedes (or a Regent Cruise) cost so much?.....Because enough people are obviously able and willing to spend the money for it!"

The age of the traveler (and health history), the cost of paying a claim to provide medical care and transport for a traveler back to the U.S., the "insured amount" (cost of the cruise that would have to be reimbursed), the cost of any (potential) legal claims which might arise, and the financial ability/willingness of potential insurance purchasers to fork over the "asked for premium" are all components of the quoted price.

If my Dad (who is 97) were to try and purchase commercial travel insurance for a cruise (outside of the insurance offered directly by Regent), his premium would probably be nearly as much as the cruise's cost, itself. So for him, the Regent travel insurance premium (about 10% of the cruise cost, I believe) is actually a "bargain" :eek:

For DW and I, who are younger and have no significant ongoing medical issues or history, we purchase our own plane tickets and "insure" the cost of those tickets through Travelocity or the airlines' offered commercial insurer. It's actually pretty reasonable and is only based upon the cost of the tickets (not our age or health condition). As for the cost of the actual cruise, we have simply decided to "take the risk" and "self-insure" ((although we are covered by Tricare For Life for any out-of-country medical costs that might arise. Medical transport back to the States, plus the "lost" amount we had paid for the cruise itself, would be out of pocket costs to us. Regards.

" Medical transport back to the States, plus the "lost" amount we had paid for the cruise itself, would be out of pocket costs to us"

Suggest you look into MEDJET.com

I don't know if the above discussion is taking into account that the travel policies in the US often include recovering the cost of the cruise if unable to travel because of a covered reason. Are the British polices just for medical cost or do they recover the expense of the trip if unable to travel?

Is am in the UK

Our travel insurance is far from cheap particularly if travelling outside Europe and especially if travelling to USA.

The policy needs to be in place as soon as we make a reservation and covers cancellation of the holiday, (due to unexpected ill health) loss of luggage, etc as well as medical cover.

Swabs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello Swabs, I want to note that this discussion isn't competitive in terms of cost. The lower the cost, the better I think we all agree.

But, does this mean that m's post below is not indicative of U.K. Travel insurance cost?

As a matter of interest I had a heart issue some years back and have a defibrillator fitted in my chest - as a result obtaining travel insurance is often a challenge. A joint policy for my wife and I is around $400 p.a. for multi trips worldwide inc N.America. - that's health cover, cancellation & baggage. How does that compare to the USA ?

I don't know if the above discussion is taking into account that the travel policies in the US often include recovering the cost of the cruise if unable to travel because of a covered reason. Are the British polices just for medical cost or do they recover the expense of the trip if unable to travel?

I note now, belatedly, that m's post notes his insurance includes cruise cancellation as well as medical. That's a good deal!

F W Maitland, the English legal historian, famously said "The law is a seamless web." That's relevant here because people are trying to pick one strand out of context. British consumer protection laws are different from those in the US, and apparently stronger -- they therefore have an added cost to cruise lines, who across the board seek to limit this liability by restricting other things that are left to their control. Thus even if Regent isn't required to have a 20% penalty, they feel compelled to use their right to do so to compensate for other areas where their British customers have greater rights.

Color me entirely unconvinced by this.

I note now, belatedly, that m's post notes his insurance includes cruise cancellation as well as medical. That's a good deal!

For the avoidance of any doubt my current policy, for two of us covers :-

- cruise cancellation & curtailment (£10k/$15k each)

- medical (£10m/$15m each)

- baggage

- personal liability (£2m/$3m each)

- a range of other things such as mugging, delays, loss of passport etc

- unlimited multi trip, up to 30 days each trip.

- the pre existing medical condition for me

- worldwide, but on this occasion not including N.America & Caribbean.

(to add these would cost us around £100 p.a., which I do if our plans include this region).

The one thing I do forego is full cancellation cover. It can be quite a challenge getting affordable travel insurance for pre existing medical condition so I sometimes accept a shortfall in cancellation cover , to ensure I have a decent level of medical cover.

The cost of the above this year for the two of us is £215.16. ($330).

This is probably about average for a couple of our age (<60) and a good deal with a pre existing condition.

The cost does increase substantial once the clock clicks to 70.

And yes - we do benefit from reciprocal medical cover in Europe which no doubt brings down the cost a bit.