Sitka National Historical Park

chuuie

My DW and I will be on 30 May 2015 Westerdam cruise. We stop at Sitka. Question: is it possible to do the Sea Otter & Wildlife Quest and still have time to visit the Sitka National Historical Park?

I am a National Park stamp collector and really don't want to miss this chance at stamp!

Yes. This is a tender port. Do your research ahead of time to make sure how much time the excursion will take and what you want to accomplish in the remainder of your time in port. Sitka is beautiful and very compact. We enjoyed the Sea Otter and Wildlife Quest.

They pick you up at the ship for this excursion and then drop you off at the tender dock. It is an early excursion so you should have plenty of time to go to the National Park. I understand that there are pedicabs that you can take to get there but it is a nice scenic walk out to the park if you have the time. It is well worth your time to visit. There is a loop walk where you can see lots of totem poles. Sitka is a lovely town.

There is a cruise dock in Sitka, which is out of town. I've seen shuttle buses. The National Park is a 15/20 minute walk from the tender dock. There also are local shuttle buses, that do a loop, including the National Park and Raptor Center.

As for getting there= it would depend on your tour time. I would not book the ship excursion. Independent is superior in my opinion. I am also picky where I go, and want a run by St. Lazaria Island due to MY preferences. :) Last year- I contracted a boat just for that purpose.

If you qualify for the senior park pass, take that with you to get into the park free. It's also good for the Bishop's House in Sitka as well as the Mendenhall

Glacier visitor center in Juneau and the Southeast Alaska Discovery Museum in Ketchikan..

I have not seen anyone comment on the bear sanctuary at Sitka. We booked it as a combined Native Trails, Raptor Center, and bear sanctuary tour through NCL. This is our 3rd Alaska cruise and I wanted to be certain to see a live bear. In the past we have seen one at a great distance, through binoculars, in glacier bay.

I have not seen anyone comment on the bear sanctuary at Sitka. We booked it as a combined Native Trails, Raptor Center, and bear sanctuary tour through NCL. This is our 3rd Alaska cruise and I wanted to be certain to see a live bear. In the past we have seen one at a great distance, through binoculars, in glacier bay.

There are many reports of it being worthwhile. This is a great opportunity for seeing bears, even though they are not in the wild. I believe it is $15 with transportation, so very low cost.