NCL Star

mr. godfredo

I was on the same sailing and agree with most of your comments.

As to seating to relax, granted I did not explore every inch of the ship, but the majority of seating in bars and around the pool were not comfortable in the least. This may simply be cause I have a very small butt (no padding back there) but the wicker chairs got painful after about an hour. In the 5 o'clock somewhere bar, the chairs have wooden slats as the bottoms. Think of sitting on a metal folding chair. Same bar, the "cushioned" banquet seating was fine for about 30 minutes then the wooden front potion began to dig into my thighs.

I did find a chair in one of the shops where they were selling the really nice watches and sat there while DW looked around. When the wife left, one of the sales staff told me that the chair was for people waiting for service and asked me to leave. :confused:

I did find a comfortable booth in Sheehans, but they are more a restaurant than a relaxation area. They never asked me to leave but they interrupted my reading about every 10 minutes to ask if I was going to eat or wiping off the table. Much like you would experience if you were in a land restaurant that was preparing to close.

We were on the Star in March, too, the second week after the dry dock. We found that although were able to find seating around the ship, much of it was not comfortable. I don't know where the cruise lines got the idea that those barrel-shaped chairs were comfortable for anyone - or maybe they don't want them to be comfortable - but some places that might have been conducive to finding a nice little corner to read had those chairs that weren't at all comfortable. We were lucky to find a couple of chairs in the atrium - that we claimed by getting there right after an early breakfast every day - but there really wasn't much that we would consider comfortable.

It took us some work to find somewhere quiet and comfortable on the Star as well. (The cruise immediately after the OP's.) Especially on the sea days that were too overcast and windy (even some rain) for outdoors but we still wanted to see the water. Like another poster, we ended up in a booth in O'Sheehan's, which was very nice but only for about 30 minutes. Then lunch started.

Ironically, we were in one of those suites that used to be the Spinnaker. It may have been a great lounge but the design doesn't work for hanging out as a cabin.

We were in one of those suites, too. If only the couch had had arms - or had there been chairs with arms, I think it would have been more comfortable. But we don't like to hang out in our cabin all the time, we like to find a place where we can sit and read, and find people to talk to. Before the drydock, the Star had a couple of areas in the atrium with a couch and a couple of chairs that was absolutely perfect. However, those were removed up there in Portland and replace with some more uncomfortable chairs and tables for drinks, I guess.

Is there an O'Sheehan's on Star? If not does the 24hr place have food like O'Ss? remember the menu at Blue Lagoon on Jade was really limited. Wondered about Star.

Yes, Star was given an O'Sheehan's during the dry dock - replacing the Blue Lagoon and Moderno on 8th atrium. Moderno was moved up next to Cagneys, as they've done with other ships. O'Sheehan's is a a very nice area, with a great bar. We had lunch there a couple of times. I won't grade the food because it was the second cruise after dry dock and it opened the 3rd day of the cruise... You know how new restaurants can be a little disappointing at times.

Thanks Pamster, nice to know there is O'Sheehans. I get on Star on the 8th. Not too thrilled hearing there are not many comfortable seating areas. The last NCL ships I was on, Jade and Epic had some nice armchairs or seating. Never noticed there wasn"t any comfortable seating.

Thanks Pamster, nice to know there is O'Sheehans. I get on Star on the 8th. Not too thrilled hearing there are not many comfortable seating areas. The last NCL ships I was on, Jade and Epic had some nice armchairs or seating. Never noticed there wasn"t any comfortable seating.

I was on the Star 29th March. Yes it definitely has limited public areas compared to the Jade. No observation lounge or outdoors dining area at the back of the buffet. It definitely needs another public area as I found the activities were limited compared to my sailings on the Jewel class ship.

I have traveled on the Star for 14 days across the Atlantic and because the outside isn't always conducive to lounging with the cool winds, the inside gets overcrowded. So, the bottom line is that the region where you are sailing may make a difference. If you are in port intensive areas like Alaska or the Baltics, inside lounging or seating may not make a huge difference.

The hotel director did mention at our meet and greet that some of the comfortable chairs hadn't arrived in time for the post-dry dock launch and they were hoping to meet up with them in the Bahamas when they did that additional repair. So it may be better now. That definitely included seating for O'Sheehan's and Five O'Clock Somewhere. Maybe more.

I did notice people sitting in the theater between shows. They usually had laptops so maybe the wireless was better there.

The bar between Cagney's and Moderno, that overlooks the pool, actually had some decent seating. Well, those swiveling bucket chairs. Not everyone likes them. But we weren't comfortable with taking up space there when we weren't drinking. And it's unreliable to hope for quiet in a bar of course. We were with a 3-year old, so occasional peaceful moments were a priority...