TAXI Vs. Private Tour (Piraeus)

Andykim

Hi! This is our first trip out to Piraeus and read about the suggestions concerning private tours, but has anyone tried taking a taxi at the port and going to all the sites? If yes, please share your experiences (pros / cons) and how much it cost. Thank you in advanced.

Is a taxi needed for mobility reasons? Because otherwise, once you get to Athens all of the main sites are bunched together and easily walkable with the exception of the National Archeological Museum (which most folks don't get to on a port day anyway).

A taxi can get you to the dropoff point for the Acropolis quickly and can beat most of the crowds for about 15-20 euro per taxi.

After that, within short walking distance are the Acropolis museum, Greek and Roman Agoras, Temple of Olympian Zeus, the Plaka, and more....

Thanks cruisemom42. When you say short walking distance, how short is it? Where would you suggest we get dropped off first (site) to make our rounds? Other than those major sites, would you suggest other areas to visit?

It's really a small area -- if you can find an online map, or if you are handy with Google maps, you can map it out with walking directions.

My recommendation is always to get to the top of the Acropolis as quickly as possible. If you arrive when it opens, you'll have perhaps an hour before the large tour groups start arriving en masse. Definitely the best time to visit.

After that, it depends on your interests. You can walk down the side closest to the theatre of Dionysis. Once you are down to street level, the Acropolis museum is virtually across the street. With your back to the Acropolis, turn down that street and walk left for about 10 minutes to get to the Temple of Olympian Zeus and Hadrian's arch.

If you go in the other direction, you'll end up in the Plaka and close to the Greek Agora. (Which I recommend, especially the small museum on the site with a few really interesting things having to do with early democracy and the history of "ostracizing" people.) There is also a beautiful temple in the grounds, the temple of Hephaistos. Although smaller than the Parthenon, it is much better preserved.

Those are the things I'd recommend the most. Find some lunch at one of the many Tavernas in the Plaka. You can get a taxi back to the ship or you can take the metro for less if you have enough time (but it can be a bit of a walk in Piraeus to get back to the ship from the metro station).

I HIGHLY recommend getting hold of a copy of Rick Steves' travel guide book for Athens. He does a great job of giving just enough background to these sites to be interesting to most people without being boring. (I happen to like a lot of detail but methinks I am in a minority there...)

The book also gives lots of info on doing this on your own. He does have a Mediterranean port guide as well, if are thinking of going it alone in more than one port.

Thank you, cruisemom42. I will take your advice on the subject. Is there a pass that you can purchase that allows you to go to all of these sites or do you have to pay for each place? Thanks again...

Last September we used Piraeus Port Taxi to meet 4 of us at the ship and take us directly to the Acropolis: http://www.piraeusporttaxi.com/ Worked out great and we were some of the first people there. Even saw the guard march down after raising the flag :D. Spent the rest of the day exploring around both sides of the Acropolis, Agora, Museum etc. Caught a taxi on the street to take us all back to the ship. We could have arranged for Piraeus Taxi to meet us at a time and place but didn't want to be locked into something. Price for both taxis about 25eu for 4 people each way.

<<<Karen>>>

Thank you, cruisemom42. I will take your advice on the subject. Is there a pass that you can purchase that allows you to go to all of these sites or do you have to pay for each place? Thanks again...

The ticket for the Acropolis includes 6 other sites, including many of those I mentioned. The exceptions would be the Acropolis Museum (separate ticket) and the Plaka (free, no charge).

The cost was 12 euros last time I was there, but even if it's gone up a euro or two it's a good deal.

Here's some additional info on what's included (some of the sites I didn't mention above):

http://archaeology-travel.com/travel-tips/buying-tickets-for-the-acropolis-and-other-ancient-sites-in-athens/

I agree with the poster who recommended the Rick Steves port guide - he has great info on how to DIY and which sights to see. It's not hard to use public transportation but it is a bit of a walk from where you dock to the metro (like 15 minutes). If that is not what you want to do, I would contact the suggested taxi. Maybe things have changed but the taxi drivers I encountered in Pireaus were very aggressive - they don't want to just give you a ride, they want to spend the day with you! We had one man pitch a tour to us non-stop for 30 minutes - I was seething.

If you want to see something besides "the crumbles" there is an amazing museum of Byzantine art / icons. I've seen quite a few ruins on my travels but the icons in that museum were just amazing. It is lovely and cool too!

The taxi driver from Piraeus Port Taxi did not try to get us to book a tour with him. He was there with a sign with our name on it and just took us to the entrance gate for the Acropolis. From a previous stop in Athens we remembered how aggressive the drivers outside the port were and wanted to avoid that.

<<<Karen>>>

We joined with another couple (so 4 of us) from our Roll Call. We met at the gangway then found the Greek Taxi driver with our name placard. Very busy area, but found each other with no problem. We had decided what we wanted to see and pre-planned with them via email before arrival.

We had a full day tour to all the notable sites (Acropolis, Forum, Hadrians Temple, Olympic Stadium, Government House, Changing of the Guards, Plaka, etc). The driver would drop us off, then tell us where he would be waiting for us. He was a taxi driver not a licensed guide, so couldn't go into the sites with us. He was very knowledgeable and helpful though. We went to Hadrian's Temple (I think) first and bought the combined ticket there.

He took us to a local small restaurant that he and his family go to. We had a wonderful lunch (with white & red wine included) for 11 EUR pp. Then up to Lycabettus Hill for the overview of Athens. It was truly a wonderful tour for only about 50 EUR pp. (including tip, but lunch was extra). I believe the ship's tour was double that price for similar tour.

Enjoy Athens, whatever you decide to do.

• 2 weeks later...

What time does the Acropolis open? I'm considering a private taxi tour only because we disembark in Athens and we don't have to waste time going to hotel first with our suitcases. We will only be in Athens one day.

What time does the Acropolis open? I'm considering a private taxi tour only because we disembark in Athens and we don't have to waste time going to hotel first with our suitcases. We will only be in Athens one day.

It opens at 8:00 am, at least during the tourist season. Not sure if it may open a little later during the off-season.