Europe - Is Norwegian legit or not worth it?

missync

My parents are going to be celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary next April 2016. My brothers and I are planning on sending them on a trip to celebrate and are thinking of sending them to Europe/Mediterranean and the idea of a cruise is appealing but we have some questions. Both of our parents are in their early 70's and fairly healthy and mobile but I know there will be a lot of stops and a lot of traveling from port to city.

There are some INSANE sales right now for Norwegian but I've never sailed NCL nor do I know anyone who has so I'm looking for some help...

How does it compare with Royal Caribbean, Princess, and Carnival (those I have sailed lol)?

Are the daily stops too much for older adults?

Too much walking?

Are "tours" necessary?

What is the food like on the ship? Regular dining rooms not specialty restaurants.

Are balcony cabins a must or not worth the money? I would normally say not worth it but since it IS Europe the scenery could be something to see...

Do you think a "guide" traveling with them would be good or unnecessary?

I've heard RCL nickel and dimes you for services. Is this true? What additional fees would be involved other than normal gratuities?

Thank you for all your help!! We are just trying to make some decisions and I'm hesitant because I know very little about NCL :confused:

Too many Q's at once. :p

Carnival - lower

RCI - on par

Princess - higher

I have sailed just about every European itinerary on Norwegian.

Yes... port intensive routes are very demanding.

Yes.. ports like Barca, Rome, Livorno.. will have a lot of walking

Yes... I would strongly recommend either ship excursions or private tours for your parents.

My parents are going to be celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary next April 2016. My brothers and I are planning on sending them on a trip to celebrate and are thinking of sending them to Europe/Mediterranean and the idea of a cruise is appealing but we have some questions. Both of our parents are in their early 70's and fairly healthy and mobile but I know there will be a lot of stops and a lot of traveling from port to city.

There are some INSANE sales right now for Norwegian but I've never sailed NCL nor do I know anyone who has so I'm looking for some help...

How does it compare with Royal Caribbean, Princess, and Carnival (those I have sailed lol)?

Are the daily stops too much for older adults?

Too much walking?

Are "tours" necessary?

What is the food like on the ship? Regular dining rooms not specialty restaurants.

Are balcony cabins a must or not worth the money? I would normally say not worth it but since it IS Europe the scenery could be something to see...

I've heard RCL nickel and dimes you for services. Is this true? What additional fees would be involved other than normal gratuities?

Thank you for all your help!! We are just trying to make some decisions and I'm hesitant because I know very little about NCL :confused:

Edited by computerworks

I know it's a lot of questions but I appreciate you answering them!!

Since you've cruised Europe before, what route would you recommend? Venice, Croatia, Greece, Turkey? Or Barcelona, Naples, Rome, Cannes?

I know...more questions ;)

Since you've cruised Europe before, what route would you recommend? Venice, Croatia, Greece, Turkey? Or Barcelona, Naples, Rome, Cannes?

:cool: Have they ever been to Europe?

If not... the Grand Med on the Spirit (12 day) is a whiz bang bullseye. ..Venice to Barcelona

If too long... 7 day Western Med is a good alternative... Has Rome and Florence/Pisa as high points.

Edited by computerworks

What do you mean by this? Like a different tour guide in each port or someone actually doing the whole cruise with them? (I'm assuming it would be you or one of your brothers, not someone you hire for the job, because I've never heard of anyone doing that!)

We used NCL for the Med, out of Barcelona round trip. Loved it!

Yes very port intensive, we did tons of walking but there are tours that would be less tiring.

We booked our own small tours with others on our "roll call" and they all worked out great.

We are early 50's and were exhausted and very glad we stayed a few days before and after our cruise in Barcelona so we could casually enjoy the city and relax before heading home

We enjoyed the Epic and found the food and entertainment to be just fine.

We always book a balcony for the ocean sounds and views.

And we are now booked for Venice to Greece round trip on NCL and are very excited for this trip!

I am sure your parents will love the trip!

What do you mean by this? Like a different tour guide in each port or someone actually doing the whole cruise with them? (I'm assuming it would be you or one of your brothers, not someone you hire for the job, because I've never heard of anyone doing that!)

lol yes I meant one of us. however, that would be an awesome job to just cruise with people :D

I went on the Epic on Oct 2013 and had a great time. I thought the food was good. It certainly wasn't the best I have had, but did not have a bad meal either. I always get a balcony. Keep in mind that in Europe, the ports are industrial working ports so the views aren't that great (nothing like the Caribbean). I like being able to see what the weather is like and have a private spot to be outside if I want. It also makes the room feel a lot bigger than it is with the sliding door.

I am also not usually a fan of Excursions, but booked them on this trip. The ports tend to be a ways away from the "attractions" and didn't want to chance missing a train or something happening and missing the boat. It was just easier to not have to worry about anything. There was a lot of walking on the tours I went on. Pay close attention to the descriptions. For instance, in Pisa it was a 15 minute walk from the where the bus drops you off to the Tower.

I ended up staying on the boat in Marseille to relax for a day. Overall, it was a great trip that I will never forget!

I know that you and brothers want to "gift" your parents a cruise, I would love a cruise like this, but would they? They might want something very different for the 50th Anniversary. I would bring them into the discussion as to what they would and would not like. Best Wishes to them as them as their 50th approaches.

We took advantage of those crazy prices this past January and it was a great trip. We have been on RCCL and Princess and prefer both of them to NCL but did not regret using them for this cruise. The food was very good (we didn't go to any of the upcharge restaurants) and the ship was just fine (we had an obstructed view room, nothing fancy). The service was excellent. I don't think there was a lot more "nickel and dime"-ing on this cruise than on any other that we have been on. My husband enjoys the sauna and steam room so he paid for a spa pass but I can't think of anything else that we paid for in addition to drinks and tips.

We did the 10-day Western Med and the ports were wonderful. It does involve a lot of walking so I would recommend they do a lot of research and spend some money on tours to make that a little easier. I highly recommend it.

All the port excursion itineraries have a guide as to how physically demanding they are. They can all be browsed online before they go (once booked) or on their in room TV once on board. Of course the beauty of a cruise is that they don't have to do anyhting if they don't want to. Just stay on board and relax whilst in dock.

My friend was 78 and I was 62 when we did our Med cruise. We both have mobility issues. We sailed on the Grand Princess for 12 days. We did see an NCL ship in most ports with us and NCL even offered free shuttles where as Princess did not.

We did a mixture of independent touring, ship tours, and we did join with others on our Roll Call for transfer and a couple of tours. If you join with others on the Roll Call you will save considerably and have a much better tour.

I would also suggest arriving into the departure port at least 2 days prior (to help alleviate jet lag) and we chose to stay 3 days after departing the ship. We chose 3 days on each end and our total trip was 21 days. After spending the airfare and travel time to get to Europe, we wanted as much for our buck as was possible.

I would also suggest to have a Plan "A", and a Plan "B" for when plan A falls apart. Then even be prepared to go with the flow when all plans fall apart. It happened to us frequently.

Take half the clothes they think they will need, and twice the money. Although right now the dollar/EUR exchange is pretty good. When we went it was almost 2 for 1, so our budgeted $4500 turned into $6000 before we returned home.

NCL is totally legit. They offer a more relaxed atmosphere than Princess or RCI with no Formal Nights and what they call Freestyle cruising.

Congratulations to your parents on their 50th anniversary. It is a milestone few make these days.

Edited by agabbymama

I recommend the longest cruise you can find or possibly a btb that will touch the eastern and western med

Also pre and post cruise stays in barca....Rome....Venice

We did 5 nites pre in Rome.... 2 nights pre in Venice.....12 day from Venice to barca ....2 day post in barca

Did ruby princess east and west med but the Ncl spirit had the same exact Itin for cheaper but we wanted the muts and some other perks plus a new ship versus older Ncl spirit

My point is ...... Make this as long a trip as possible.... Don't skimp on time..... Go for the 3 week deal!!!!!!!👍

Sent from my iPhone using Forums