Alaska Cruise Fashionista's!

My apologies if this has been discussed already (I can't seem to use the search function on my phone).

What are the cruising fashionista's favorite outfits for cruising Alaska? I know all of the "rules" (layers, comfortable shoes sprayed with water repellant, waterproof outer shell) but would love to see these ideas in action! I realize fashion is secondary to utility and comfort in Alaska, but would like to find a balance if possible! :)

So share away - pics of your packing, your outfit ideas, or outfits while in action appreciated!

My apologies if this has been discussed already (I can't seem to use the search function on my phone).

What are the cruising fashionista's favorite outfits for cruising Alaska? I know all of the "rules" (layers, comfortable shoes sprayed with water repellant, waterproof outer shell) but would love to see these ideas in action! I realize fashion is secondary to utility and comfort in Alaska, but would like to find a balance if possible! :)

So share away - pics of your packing, your outfit ideas, or outfits while in action appreciated!

Hi:)...I am going to Alaska next month for the 4th time but it has been

6 years since I was last there......I have photos from my old cruises.

Daytime, long sleeves, jeans/pants/shoes and socks, jacket.......

I will post a few photos........this is in Ketchikan:

3934245865_9369ea2c72_b.jpg

This is a different cruise but it was also to Alaska....the jacket is red

but it is a different one from those first 2 pictures......

This was in Juneau up at the top of Mt Roberts......

2887860399_0e26eeee4f_b.jpg

As you can see, these are all daytime outfits.....I have other pictures

of eveningwear too......if you want to see them, let me know.

You're adding to my excitement for my Alaska trip.

Thanks for taking the time to post the photos.

I am looking at my options....and have filled a suitcase... (My first step in packing)...I usually .toss stuff in a pile....this time, I tossed it right in a suitcase since it was out.

Leaving dresses and formal wear to deciding last....I am leaning twoards two chiffon gowns I won as they are superlight....but I have a lot of time to decide...

AS I do laundry, sort clothes, I put stuff to the side...

I've got a few days in San Francisco to dress for also....

Bernadette

This was my packing list which I have compressed. In my actual list, I had specific items named.

Laundry Pucks and Forever New Pack & Quarters

Books

Phone and charger

Carry On Bag & BackPack

Extra Glasses

Jewelry

Sea Bands & Sea sickness meds

Duct tape

Kleenex

Laniard

Camera

Bathing Suit, Underwear, Bras & Sports bras, Socks

Hat & Mittens

Pyjamas 2 pairs

Pantyhose

Dresses

2 Formal Dresses

3 Business type Dresses

1 skirt and fancy top

Work Out Wear

2 Long sleeve tops

2 Pairs Long workout pants

3 pairs of capris

2 Tanks

3 T-Shirts

Wool Underwear

Tops

7 Tops - Long or 3/4 sleeve

2 Light tanks

Scarves

Bottoms

5 pairs of Jeans

1 Black pants

2 Pairs of shorts

2 Skorts

1 short skirt

Jackets

Rain Jacket and Pants

Soft Shell Jacket

Black Fleece

Light Black and Pink Jacket

Down sweater

Shoes

Sparkly Shoes

Flat black shoes

Running Shoes

Black Plastic Sandals

Hiking Shoes

Makeup

Blow Dryer

Brushes

We had absolutely gorgeous weather so some of the clothes that were packed because I was staying a bit longer with my friend at her cottage after the trip (shorts and tanks) ended being worn during the cruise. We were very lucky in terms of weather even though this was the last run of the ship in September.

I looked back on our pictures and unfortunately, I noticed that we didn't take many of us. They are mostly scenery but here are a few:

IMG_0612.JPG

IMG_0811.JPG

IMG_1087.JPG

Sorry about the size. I tried shrinking them but didn't seem to be too successful.

I have put a bunch of clothing out.....my eveningwear is easier than

daytime for this cruise;).....

The bed in the 2nd bedroom has some tops on it....a lot of tops LOL

also have a really cute long skirt I have been wanting to wear...and

will be wearing it this cruise:)...it is black and white and has a chain

print on it....have a nice black top with some silver embellishments

to go with it.........

Need to get my other "daytime wear" together.....have quite a few

sweaters...some are lightweight so I will layer a top under them.

No hiking boots for me so that is easy.

Danni, good photos and Maria, you always look smashing....even

bundled up;)

Danni, thanks for your list because I can cross off quite a few things

that I won't be bringing;)

No "work out clothes" for me.

No hairdryer either

No pantyhose

No wool underwear

No skorts

I will probably throw in a pair of shorts and crop pants....but daytime

will definitely be long pants.....your brought 5 pair of jeans?...that

sounds like a lot to me......did you wear all 5?

Actually, yes I did but you need to remember that I was gone for 3 weeks in total. The cruise was only one week of the three but the weather went from just about freezing to quite warm in the locations I was visiting.

Actually, yes I did but you need to remember that I was gone for 3 weeks in total. The cruise was only one week of the three but the weather went from just about freezing to quite warm in the locations I was visiting.

Ohhhh.......I must have missed that part......you were gone a long time..

Lucky you:)

I was planning to bring 1 pair of black jeans, 1 pair of blue jeans and 2

pair of what I would consider a utility pants.....they are cotton.......

what some would consider "cargo style"....1 blue, 1 black.....and

a pair of pinstripe jeans that cuff at the ankles.....oh wow, that is

5 as well:eek:.......I may have to re-think my stuff LOL

• 2 months later...

Just bumping this up to see if anyone who has gone this year has any updates or outfit pictures! :) Leaving in 11 days and still trying to figure out what to take (unfortunately it looks like the rain and thunderstorms are rolling into Alaska just in time for our cruise! [emoji15]).

I haven't learned how to post pictures yet. So I can't help you there. And it's been a few years since our cruise to Alaska.

I do remember that it was a very casual cruise. Not a lot of people roaming around the ship at night because most of them had early excursions in the mornings. Alaska is all about the excursions.

Hardly anyone, although there always are a few, dressed in any kind of formal or semi-formal wear. I do remember that.

I had a waterproof jacket with a zip-out liner and a removable hood that worked well for me. It is made by Columbia.

Hats, gloves, & scarves helped me out a lot. If you go back and look at the picture of Maria that she posted...that would be me except my jacket was a little longer.

The most important thing I remember bringing on my trip was a nice pair of binoculars and my good camera.

Whatever you decide to take...I hope you have an amazing time as our Alaskan cruise is one of our favorite of all time.:D

I brought a zip-up, light jacket with a button-off hood, an "ear band", a pair of unlined Isotoner gloves, and a silk neck scarf, all were used. Coupled with a wool sweater and turtleneck, I had the layering thing covered! Also had rain pants which were not used at all, they stayed in the suitcase. We went in early September; weather was unbelievably good. "Your mileage may very" ;)

I came home and am mad at myself for not packing better. (July 1 sailing out of SF)

My problem was.... since we had two free bags of up to 70 pounds each-

I just got careless.....my worst packing job ever....

My main suitcase weighed 52.5 pounds.....and carryon was full...

I also had 4 days post cruise in San Francisco.....so it was a 14 day trip in total..

When I got back, I wrote down every item I brought with me to reassess for our next trip.

I usually wear sleeveless dresses in the summer- but it just felt too cool to wear them to dinner without my jeans jacket over them....

I left my waterproofed boots home- never needed them anyway.

We had spectacular weather in each port, not one drop of rain or overcast...

I wore short and tank top in two Skagway and Ketchikan, capris in Victoria...could have worn a tank top in Juneau, but I decided to stick with the LS shirt I had on as we were going on a boat for whale watching which got quite nippy and kept my NorthFace light jacket on when we were outside on the decks.

Sailaway was freezing as we were at the back of the ship..(it was warm till we sailed away).so I changed out of my outfit....to pants/ls jacket.

While walking on Promenade deck, I often needed my puffy vest- or windbreaker or both.(did the entire 5K On Deck for the Cure walk- it got SUPER WINDY and cold)...

used that on glacier bay day also...in addition to my cycling pants with long underwear- very thin extra layer.....I wore hats and gloves one day when walking....

Dressing for a cold weather cruise (we never swam- even in the covered pool) really drove me nutz as I tend to be cold.....

I brought two pairs of comfy jeans with me and that was perfect....

BTW, I was amazed at the weight and quality of the lined jacket embroidered with Alaska on the chest) they were selling in Tongass stores in Ketchikan for 19.99. I was looking for a sweatshirt, but I ended up with one of the jackets cause it was such a good value...they put it in a bag larger than the Princess tote which is great for toting laundry to wash.

I uploaded photos, but they didn't post...

Bernadette

Edited by BratDet

Just got back last week from a 7-night northbound Vancouver to Whittier cruise. Here's a rough outline of my packing list.

Yoga pants, sweatshirt & mesh sneakers - worn on airplane both ways with fresh undershirt

T-shirt maxi dress, silk scarf & sandals - boarding/1st dinner

2 pr jeans, alternated daily

denim shirt, 2 wool sweaters - alternated throughout week

2 thermal tops, 2 tank tops, and 4 gym shirts worn under other tops

leather walking shoes for excursions

3 poly maxi dresses for 4 dinners (wore 1 with and without sweater)

2 blouses and 1 pr slacks for dinners

water repellant jacket with hood and fleece lining

wool beret, headband, and fingerless gloves

and of course any needed underpinnings, pj's, etc.

It was unseasonably warm while in town, but on deck/excursion boats/glacier tours, it was quite chilly. I'll try to edit this in a few minutes to post a few pics...

Here's a link to a few pictures.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B0RdNf1fptHTfnhRTHk0YmhDRUZGbDI4ZlFVbEkxeVpBaEdBZFpfOWk2eWd2Ym9SZ2JGQ1U&usp=sharing

Edited by Li'lImp
added link

Thanks so much to everyone for the pictures, outfit ideas, and thoughts on what was useful!

I think half of my problem is stemming from our 3 days pre-cruise in Vancouver. It seems to be adding a lot to my packing ideas as I don't want to be wearing my "Alaska gear" the whole time we're there.

Right now I'm thinking 2 pairs of jeans, 1 legging, 1 Capri legging, and one or two yoga pants for daytime. I'll bring mainly tank tops for Vancouver, along with a jean jacket. For Alaska, I can use the jean jacket on dry days (who am I kidding - our forecast is calling for rain every day we're there!), and my North Face waterproof hooded outer shell for wet/windy days. I plan on bringing 2 fleece pull-over sweatshirts and likely 2 zippered sweatshirts for the cruise/flight home. I'll bring a 3/4 sleeve shirt, several t-shirts/tank tops, etc for underneath the sweatshirts. For shoes, I'm thinking 1 pair of running shoes which I will waterproof spray, 1 pair of Sketchers Go Walks, 1 pair of super comfy flats, and 1 pair of sandals of some sort (to be determined). And then some evening outfits for Vancouver and Alaska which I'll plan on wearing 1-2 times each - some dressier tops and 2-3 pairs of dress pants. And I'll wear the same dress for each formal night.

Somehow my list sounds way longer than everyone else's... But with our time in Vancouver, 2 long days of flying, and the fact our ship doesn't have self-serve laundry, I think it'll all be necessary.

Thoughts?