Alaska Cruise Fashionista's!

I rarely wear jeans at home and never travel with them. They are heavy and take so long to dry - if your forecast calls for rain every day, what are you going to do if your jeans are always wet?

I have several pairs of black pants in technical fabrics that dry quickly - great for rainy days or sweaty days, can wash & dry overnight in the cabin too.

4 sweatshirts? That also seems like a lot. I bring more underlayers and fewer outer layers. If you want variety in your look while packing light, use accessories.

Of course, pack as much as you want. But you did ask why your list is longer than others - and that's why ;-)

Edited by Hoyaheel

Thanks for these great lists. I'm also cruising Alaska next month, with 4 days pre cruise in Olympic National Park and 2 days with relatives in Seattle. My go-to Caribbean solutions aren't cutting it naturally. I'm taking 2 jeans 2 khakis, 1 black slacks I can dress up, 2 long sleeve tees, 1 hoodie, 1 windbreaker, 2 short sleeve sweaters I can either layer for day or scarf up for dinner, 1 sparkly top, 2 pr shorts, 3 t shirts, light hiking shoes, flipflops, black strappy sandals,swimsuit , sun hat ,warm hat, dress scarves and cold weather scarf. That is just going to have to do it. I can do laundry at the relatives.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Forums mobile app

I rarely wear jeans at home and never travel with them. They are heavy and take so long to dry - if your forecast calls for rain every day, what are you going to do if your jeans are always wet?

I have several pairs of black pants in technical fabrics that dry quickly - great for rainy days or sweaty days, can wash & dry overnight in the cabin too.

4 sweatshirts? That also seems like a lot. I bring more underlayers and fewer outer layers. If you want variety in your look while packing light, use accessories.

Of course, pack as much as you want. But you did ask why your list is longer than others - and that's why ;-)

Thanks for your thoughts! :)

I will not be wearing the jeans on rainy days - they will probably be primarily used for Vancouver, Sea days, etc. They're not heavy nor bulky to pack as I am planning on bringing only skinny jeans/jeggings. In terms of rain, I will wear the yoga capris or leggings which are both quick-drying, or a pair of technical fabric athletic pants that I purchased for the trip (they feel almost like nylon but have a touch of spandex in them and aren't nearly as noisy).

The sweatshirts - as I won't be able to wash them onboard the ship, I wanted to be prepared with enough (plus I tend to sweat). I'll probably cut that to 3 though thanks to your feedback! :) I also don't have many long-sleeve shirts for layering, so the sweatshirts will be my go-to layers for chilly days (with a t-shirt or the like underneath).

Alright - I finalized my suitcase (I think - need to weigh it tomorrow to make sure it's under 50lbs but I suspect it is!).

The grand talley for 12 days and 10 nights (plus 1 night on a red-eye flight) is...

Daytime:

1 pair of yoga leggings

1 pair of yoga legging capris

1 pair of boot-cut yoga pants

2 pairs of skinny jeans

3 tank tops with tanks for under them (the styles necessitate a layer underneath)

5 t-shirts with tanks for under them

1 3-4 sleeve thick shirt with tank for underneath

1 asymmetrical-zip sweatshirt/jacket

2 fleece pullover sweatshirts with warm cowl necks

Night-time:

1 dress for formal nights

1 pair of black boot cut pants

1 pair of skinny dress pants

5 dressy blouses with corresponding tanks

1 black cardigan

Also bringing 2 scarves that can double as shawls with my dress (and even swimsuit cover-ups if I want, but I'll forego that to avoid smelling like chlorine on formal night!).

I know it's a lot, but this way I'll only have to wear the sweaty under-layers once, and I'll have lots of variety for the week while still re-wearing pants and sweatshirts!

I will be sure to report back with how this worked for me after my trip!

We went last May.

14312651937_2aa914178e_b.jpg

Cruising Alaska in May '16 --- LOVE this look and would love to shoot for something this stylish :D - although I'm doubting my ability to be comfortable walking far in those boots. Can you share the brand? Could you please post some other photos with more outfits? :)

My problem is that I have lived in Florida for over 6 yrs - so I don't own much in the way of warmer clothing so as fall comes around I have to start purchasing what I'll need. I'd like to look fashionable but comfort is a must and I do dress up for formal night so will be taking 2 long gowns or at a minimum 2 fancy cocktail dresses with dressy slacks/skirt outfits for the other nights.

We have a 6 night post cruise tour after we get off the ship - so the casual clothes will be packed separate from the evening clothes as that suitcase can just stay on the bus and not ever come off till be fly home from Fairbanks.

Edited by Jane2357