Have they cured the aft soot on Britannia?

Presto2

Hi,

We booked our aft cabin for August early last year trusting that the soot issue that they've had on the aft cabins on the Royal Princess would be sorted on the new Britannia.

The good news is that so far we haven't read / heard anyone complain about it ---

Is it safe to uncross our fingers now do you think?

Hi,

We booked our aft cabin for August early last year trusting that the soot issue that they've had on the aft cabins on the Royal Princess would be sorted on the new Britannia.

The good news is that so far we haven't read / heard anyone complain about it ---

Is it safe to uncross our fingers now do you think?

The issue on Royal was to do with the stacks not being high enough, and the little 'wings' which were designed to direct air to send the soot high enough to pass over the ship didn't work successfully. It isn't something which is easily modeled during design.

Regal has higher stacks to solve this, and I believe Royal is having them altered in the first refit. Also on Britannia I would imagine the tall double stacks work even better.

I first encountered a "soot problem" on a cruise ship in 1964. Queen Elizabeth transatlantic; halfway across for some reason a loud hooting noise was heard and a lot of smoke was blasted out of the funnels. Amongst this was a lot of massive sooty lumps which covered the decks. Loads of passengers scrambled to get off the open aft deck. A major cleaning operation followed and they closed the deck. I thought the whole incident was hilarious my mum though different.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

I first encountered a "soot problem" on a cruise ship in 1964. Queen Elizabeth transatlantic; halfway across for some reason a loud hooting noise was heard and a lot of smoke was blasted out of the funnels. Amongst this was a lot of massive sooty lumps which covered the decks. Loads of passengers scrambled to get off the open aft deck. A major cleaning operation followed and they closed the deck. I thought the whole incident was hilarious my mum though different.

Regards John

I'd have been with you on this one ! :D

We've been in aft cabins on the Solstice Class ships and are used to some soot so it isn't a major issue for us. Sounds good that the problem has been sorted on the Royal Princess' sister ship. If not we may need to take an umbrella !!!

We went on Britannia maiden cruise in cabin C732 and we had occasional soot problems on our balcony some mornings you could see it and the cabin steward cleaned it every morning but you still had to check the chairs before you sat down and on occasions leaned on the rail and got "sooty" arms.

Hi on the Silhouette we took a cloth to dust stuff off early morning and flip flops incase there were bits on the floor. Obviously the cabin staff cleaned it all down after breakfast. We expect some soot as long as it isnt as much as on the sister ship. :-)

Regards John

Happened regularly on QE2 as well. You could get your clothing laundered free when it happened.

Surprising that it is still a problem on modern ships.

David.