New To Carnival - A Few Questions

frisbeewife

I've sailed quite a few times on Royal Caribbean and once on Holland America (back when the ships were wood and brass instead of chrome and glass...) but now for various reasons I'm considering taking my 3 grandsons on a 4 night cruise on the Victory in June 2016. Just me and the boys and they will be 15, 14, and 6 at that time. I have a couple of questions.

1. Will Carnival let me book side-by-side balcony rooms and put the 2 teenagers in one of them? Or does there have to be an adult in each room?

2. I was looking at rooms on the Panorama deck for the proximity to the pool. Good idea or bad?

3. I always had the impression Carnival was a party boat, which is one reason I never sailed with them. Is that still true? Would it be too party-ish for the kids?

4. If anybody has been on Victory and also on Royal's Enchantment of the Seas, how do the two ships compare? Especially with teens and a 6 year old in mind? My other option besides Victory is to drive 3 hours to Miami and go on the Enchantment, but I'd really rather go from Port Canaveral since it's only 30 minutes away.

Thanks for any advice!

While I have not been on Royal, I can answer a couple of your questions. I am NOT a party animal, I like my quiet, Carnival works for me. There are plenty of options for everyone!

You cannot BOOK a cabin with only minors in it, but you can book two cabin's with 1 adult and 1 minor and then on boarding, move the two minor's together and the two adults together....

I sailed the Victory before the dry dock and it was wonderful. Even without all the 2.0 upgrades it had plenty of food and entertainment options. I would go on this ship again in a heart beat!

You will have a wonderful time! I love Carnival!

:)

I've sailed quite a few times on Royal Caribbean and once on Holland America (back when the ships were wood and brass instead of chrome and glass...) but now for various reasons I'm considering taking my 3 grandsons on a 4 night cruise on the Victory in June 2016. Just me and the boys and they will be 15, 14, and 6 at that time. I have a couple of questions.

1. Will Carnival let me book side-by-side balcony rooms and put the 2 teenagers in one of them? Or does there have to be an adult in each room?

2. I was looking at rooms on the Panorama deck for the proximity to the pool. Good idea or bad?

3. I always had the impression Carnival was a party boat, which is one reason I never sailed with them. Is that still true? Would it be too party-ish for the kids?

4. If anybody has been on Victory and also on Royal's Enchantment of the Seas, how do the two ships compare? Especially with teens and a 6 year old in mind? My other option besides Victory is to drive 3 hours to Miami and go on the Enchantment, but I'd really rather go from Port Canaveral since it's only 30 minutes away.

Thanks for any advice!

1. If the 14/15 year old teens are in a cabin alone they have to be within 3 doors of your cabin so side-by-side is good to go.

2. As with cabins on any ship, just look to see what is above and below you. Cabins above or below, should be good to go. Even public areas as long as they are not bars and you should be good to go.

3. Yes, Carnival is a bit of a party ship (younger crowd) but I sailed her while my kids were young and never had any concerns.

4. Carnival Victory is in the Destiny Class @ 101k tons. Nice sized medium ship. I have sailed her sister the Triumph and enjoyed it very much. Have never sailed the EOS so I can't compare the two.

Edit to add: Just looked at Deck 10 deck plans and you should be fine with that. Cabins below you and the Spa above you (not a real noise generator).

Edited by Out to sea!

You cannot BOOK a cabin with only minors in it, but you can book two cabin's with 1 adult and 1 minor and then on boarding, move the two minor's together and the two adults together....

Yes you can as I have done this. There is a cutoff age (12 I believe). So based on the OP's children ages the 6 year old will be with her in a cabin and the 14/15 year old boys have to be within 3 doors of her cabin (so side-by-side works just fine).

Edited by Out to sea!

We have never found Carnival to be an overly party ship- not even the 3 and 4 night "booze cruise"

If you want to party, you can certainly find one- but there is MUCH peace and tranquility to be found as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes you can as I have done this. There is a cutoff age (12 I believe). So based on the OP's children ages the 6 year old will be with her in a cabin and the 14/15 year old boys have to be within 3 doors of her cabin (so side-by-side works just fine).

News to me, I have been told that there MUST be ONE person over the age of 21 in each booking.

Learn something new every day! Next time Carnival gives me that line... I'll tell them... NO.

You might need to book over the phone instead of booking on-line to get the two cabins. I probably would have put my teenaged boys (we have four grown children 21-28) in an interior directly across the hall. We'd also have had the "don't make me have to put in you my cabin" speech too. ;) They were great kids but kids nonetheless.

A question for the rest of the group--are there connecting cabins? I've never been in one, but was just wondering.

Good luck to you. We've cruised with all of our kids except the oldest and they loved it.

News to me, I have been told that there MUST be ONE person over the age of 21 in each booking.

Learn something new every day! Next time Carnival gives me that line... I'll tell them... NO.

If two people want to go without their parents, then either both of them have to be 21 or over or if one is under 21 but 18 or over the other has to be 25. BUT, if you parents are there, then what I stated applies.

You might need to book over the phone instead of booking on-line to get the two cabins. I probably would have put my teenaged boys (we have four grown children 21-28) in an interior directly across the hall. We'd also have had the "don't make me have to put in you my cabin" speech too. ;) They were great kids but kids nonetheless.

A question for the rest of the group--are there connecting cabins? I've never been in one, but was just wondering.

Good luck to you. We've cruised with all of our kids except the oldest and they loved it.

Sure, there are connecting cabins on board. Not all of them, but some of them.

Learn something new ev#ery day! Next time Carnival gives me that line... I'll tell them... NO.

I was not allowed to gave my 17 year old twins booked in separate cabin right next to each other. Only way to do it was to book each cabin with one adult and one teen. We then switched it up when we got on the ship. Had one cabin arranged for beds to be converted to king for dh and I. We also went to guest services to ask for a room key for each person who had to swap but without charging privileges.

At one point in time Carnival was a crazy party boat with a lot of singles but today it draws people of all ages and is very family oriented. There are lots of kids onboard when school is out for vacation and summer. Carnival offers a very festive fun and upbeat atmosphere. All of the kids and you will have a great time. They may want to join the kids club. Happy sails!

Edited by abisha

If two people want to go without their parents, then either both of them have to be 21 or over or if one is under 21 but 18 or over the other has to be 25. BUT, if you parents are there, then what I stated applies.

But OP isn't the parent of the children but the grandparent this is one where I think they need to contact Carnival.

OP here. Thanks for all the replies. I'm sure I'll need to call Carnival to do this booking and I'm OK with that. I'm still thinking about whether to put the teens in a balcony room next to me or in an inside across the hall from me. They've been on cruises before with balconies, but never without an adult right there with them. They are good kids but can get wound up just like any other kids.

We have kids and have sailed the Victory and Royal's Grandeur of the Seas (same class of ship as Enchantment). I definitely recommend the Victory over the Enchantment of the Seas. We were actually bored a few times on the Grandeur; it was a lovely ship, but just not a whole lot going on.

OP here. Thanks for all the replies. I'm sure I'll need to call Carnival to do this booking and I'm OK with that. I'm still thinking about whether to put the teens in a balcony room next to me or in an inside across the hall from me. They've been on cruises before with balconies, but never without an adult right there with them. They are good kids but can get wound up just like any other kids.

I'd give 'em an inside opposite us, but herself would want an inter-conecting

From Carnivals FAQ page.

Guests Under the Age of 21 MUST travel with a relative or guardian of 25 years of age or older

- The guardian does not need to be a legal guardian

- The bookings must be cross-referenced with the guardian’s stateroom and documented properly

Guests 12 and younger

- If the relative or guardian insist on booking separate staterooms, minors must either be directly across the hall or next door. Guests 12 and under may not be assigned to a balcony cabin without a relative/guardian.

Guests 13 - 17 years of age

- Can be booked up to 3 staterooms away from their relative or guardian.

Guests 18 – 20 years of age

- Do not have any restrictions and may book whatever location they prefer.

2. We were on the Lido deck and loved it, just the right deck to walk through most of the ship.

3. We sailed Victory in October, and the average age must have been 35 - 45. A 4 day cruise in June is going to have a younger crowd, more families, kids, and some party people. I wouldn't think it would be anything like the early January Booze Cruises, or Spring Break chaos in March.

But OP isn't the parent of the children but the grandparent this is one where I think they need to contact Carnival.

True, Carnival is the one to give a final answer but post #16 shows what I stated is true. And yes, I missed the grandmother part. I saw the "me and the boys" part and thought she was the mother but either way, again, post #16 confirms what I said is true for either a mother or grandmother.

Edited by Out to sea!

We love cruising Carnival. We usually have our kids in the room with us but when our daughter wanted to take her friend last year, one room wasn't adequate. We booked 2 side by side balconies. One for us, and the other for our kids and the friend. They were 2 16 year olds and a 13 year old. It was great. No issues booking it what so ever.

Play it safe. Inside or ocean view - I have a great worry about young people in balcony cabins without supervision - too much can go wrong. And "no strangers" in their cabin...for any reason.

My vote would be for inside cabin for the teens. They won't appreciate the balcony anyway. Just get a room directly across the hall. Make sure the booking numbers are connected together.

Last time we sailed with our kids (5 kids ages 10 to 17) we had a total of 3 rooms. Just make sure the boys know the rules and your expectations. Good luck. Grandparents take their grandkids all the time with now problems!

Thanks for any advice!

This is just me, but I would never book a balcony for teenagers. I've got well-behaved teenagers and never book a balcony for them.

Also any boat can be a "party" boat but you have many places for quiet too. We're not party people, piano bar people but have a great time cruising.