Has this ever happened to anyone???

cougar242

I was wondering if this situation has ever happened to anyone and what they did about it. I booked my carnival cruise through a travel agent. I am supposed to be leaving with my husband and kids tomorrow on a cruise but my husband is unable to go so I called her the middle of this week to let her know so she could let the cruise line know. Well I found out early this morning that she cancelled it for all of us. After an email from her she said she would contact Carnival to reinstate it, then a hour later she let me know that the ship is basically overbooked and they would not reinstate it. I just can't believe this. We are all set to leave tomorrow..

OMG:eek: How horrible! I know you were looking forward to taking the kids on this cruise, and you all are going with us on the Valor! I can't believe this has happened to you. There must be something the cruiseline can do. I am just so sorry this has happened to you and the children.

Your TA needs to completely refund every cent you paid and give you one heck of a deal on another cruise really fast.

Are you sure there is no way your TA misunderstood you? Is there any way your TA might have thought you wanted to cancel the whole thing?

If not, your TA owes you big time.

I've seen discussions on these boards regarding cancelling 1 just prior to a cruise. One piece of advice was just don't bother. Show up at the pier, with 1 less person, and that shouldn't be an issue. If the reason the person isn't going is covered by insurance, then I suspect cancelling beforehand is probably a requirement to file a claim.

Holy cow! What a predicament! Please let us know how this turns out for you. I would be having major words not only with my TA, but with his/her supervisor as well. What a stressful thing to have happen.

The BEST of luck to you and your family.

Taters

This is horrible! Is it your TA's fault or did Carnival mess up and cancel the whole thing?

Because of manifest laws, it is too late to get on any ship if it leaves in the next two days.

Since the OP posted late last night and we have not heard back from her, perhaps she was able to get the cruise and is off!

Can't wait to hear how this turns out.

I am sorry for your situation I truly am, but why would you even bother to tell them during a time when no refund is forthcoming. I would let them know when I arrived at the pier. I am shocked that a booking can be cancelled without your signature. I have only ever cancelled prior to the penalty phase and any cruise agency I have dealt with has wanted it in writing and rightly so.

I would think a responsible TA would have requested the cancellation in writing - after all there are penalties involved and it is in their best interest to cover their a$$. This sounds like a very bad situation. If the cruise can't be reinstated then I would DEMAND my money back. If they refused I would file a dispute with my creidt card company. Most credit card companies limit liability time to 60 days from payment - BUT - since the cruiseline requires payment 70 days in advance the time actual states when you become aware of the situation that you are disputing. This happened when we booked the Big Red Boat. We were scheduled to leave in 2 weeks when they went under. I called the cc company and they started in about how it was out side the grace period but I demanded the paperwork anyhow. I stated in the dispute that although it was outside the grace period I was only informed shortly before the cruise. I had every intention of sailing and that the cruiseline is the one that failed to live up to its' contract. I got my money back.

This may be slightly different since the cuirseline was the one that probably received the charge and not the TA directly. I would discuss it with the credit card company or call Carnival and tell them you are going to dispute the charges - maybe they would be more inclided to help. This information is probably a little too late for the OP and let's all hope she is on the ship.

why would you even bother to tell them during a time when no refund is forthcoming.

Perhaps she was checking her options.

I had an incident where I had booked one cabin for three. Long story short, but all of a sudden it was one cabin for one. I Called Carnival, being it was the one and only time I booked through them.

This is where I learned you can transfer the tickets for a fee. Well, I was cruising that week, and did not know anyone that could cruise at the drop of a hat, but they did refund me the $$ for the third pax.

Regardless, this port should serve as a lesson. Do all cancellations and adjustments in writing, and get a confirmation.

I too am hoping the OP is missing because she is on her cruise!

You should check the fine print, most companies require that the cancellations be done in writing. If you never put anything in writing, they have a big problem as you can say that they shouldn't have cancelled it. I cancelled a cruise 2 days before one time because my then future wife insisted she wasn't going, then she decided the next day that she would go. I called them back and they didn't want to do anything about it but I hinted that nothing was in writing and they fixed it.

I was leaving on the Celebration on September 10 and my husband was going to be going with me and our kids but at the last minute he was unable to go so I sent an email to my TA just to give a "heads up" but specifically stated that we would go on without him.. I was off work and would not cancel just because he still had to work and even asked some more specific questions about Camp Carnival at the time.. I even have the email from her admitting she on her own cancelled and after she realized what she did that she tried to "reinstate" the cruise but Carnival said the cruise was really full and would be better if I rolled the money over to another cruise. The TA will not give me a refund, I asked. Not because I do not want to go on another cruise but just because I don't want to deal with her. Carnival is not at fault and I think that they are the ones allowing me to roll all my money over with no penalty. I have tried to talk to Carnival but they say since I went through a TA that they really couldn't help me and they said that I had to write a letter and gave me an address..

I would have posted earlier but i decided to take the kids to the beach for the weekend..

Thanks for all your suggestions and I will let you know how this turns out... The next available time my TA is telling me will be available is a couple of months from now though... I was really hoping to get to go sooner.. I must say I have learned a lesson.. I wish I would have kept my mouth closed about dropping my husband but I just assumed that I ought to fill everyone in and I will not go through her again..

I would have that TA's you know what for making a mistake like that! :mad: Was she a local or did you arrange your trip online?

Look at the bright side - Perhaps your DH can go with you on your next cruise and the children's clothes should still fit in a couple of months. Now, what about your vacation days? Did you go back to work so you can take off later?

... The TA will not give me a refund, I asked...

I'd do more than ASK for a refund from this TA...

...take her email admitting "she on her own" cancelled and then tried to reinstate your cruise and go to her office (if she's local). DEMAND to speak to her supervisor or the owner of the travel company, if she works for someone else or somewhere else.

You are OWED a refund by this agent's company. It's THEIR fault and the fault has been admitted.

You should not have to suffer the consequences of this error.

I'm so sorry this happened to you and your family.

I'd bypass the TA altogether, for right now. Contact Carnival again directly, and insist on going up the chain of command as far as possible (be firm and do not settle for speaking with a PVP). Explain your situation, offer the written proof that you have (and mention that you're thinking of engaging legal representation). I'm betting that they will do something for you. Further, if you DO have written proof that the TA goofed and admitted such, you have a strong case in civil court to collect not only the cost of the cruise but related damages (depending on the state). Often the threat alone will prompt an immediate refund. Also, if the TA is with a firm and not a one-person operation, talk to the manager and drop references to publicity and contacting the local TV or newspaper consumer watchdog liberally throughout the conversation. This is an outrage if all of what you say is correct. Be the VERY squeaky wheel.

I was really hoping to get to put all this behind and everything would be solved with just rolling it over into another cruise. I would have left it alone, however I have now contacted her numerous times about other dates that would work for me and a couple days later I still have no answer. I do appreciate everyones advice. So I do have a question though.. I saw a couple of people mentioning going through Carnival... Would I still pursue through Carnival though if they were not at fault.. I do not think that they did anything wrong, she cancelled it they told her when she called back that they would not reinstate because they were over booked? (supposedly) Do they overbook? I know airlines do but I was not aware that the cruise lines do.. The TA works independently I guess you would say but actually works for a larger company if that makes sense.. Do they not have to carry insurance for making mistakes? All I really want is to be able to take my kids on the cruise they were expecting..

Sorry you're going through this. That's a terrible travel agent.

Did you pay by credit card? I would contact them and dispute the charge afterall you didn't get what you paid for. Just a thought.

Also, as someone else suggested call Carnival, maybe there is something they can do to help you.

I am in the insurance business and we sell what is called Professional Liability Insurance which is just for these situations when a professional makes a mistake. No legitimate company would operate without it. I would contact an attorney and find out your options.Lyn

Archived