Carnival Conguest passenger killed in Grand Camen

hbrote

My son and daughter in law just returned from a cruise on the Paradise and where told that a 15 year old boy was driving a wave runner where he hit and killed a 31 year old man. I thought most would not rent to a young kid, anyway this is tragic.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/travel/bal-virginia-man-on-cruise-killed-in-watercraft-collision-in-cayman-islands-20150417-story.html

Oops Cayman

Edited by hbrote

My son and daughter in law just returned from a cruise on the Paradise and where told that a 15 year old boy was driving a wave runner where he hit and killed a 31 year old man. I thought most would not rent to a young kid, anyway this is tragic.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/travel/bal-virginia-man-on-cruise-killed-in-watercraft-collision-in-cayman-islands-20150417-story.html

Oops Cayman

Why? You can rent one in the States when you're 14.

Suuuuure!

Because pubescent boys with raging hormones are among the cleverest folks around!

Maybe we should lower that to age 12. Driving licenses too, no?

*dripping with sarcasm, for those who can't sense it*

Not in my state. In Missouri you have to take a boaters safety course approved by the Missouri Water Patrol if you were born after January 1st 1988 to operate a PWC. Applies to residents and visitors and the fine goes to the owner of the vessel not the operator in violation.

Last year in St. Maarten we watched a teenage girl barrel through a roped off swimming area full of people. She was totally oblivious to everyone screaming at her to stop.

Edited by hate2shop

No way would I allow a 15 year to drive a wave runner.

At what age would you allow it...16, 18, 21, 35? When do people become smarter than the machine they are sitting on. My grandkids have been driving wave runners since they were 10 or so and have never had an accident or a near miss. Condemning an entire segment of our population because of the actions of one is ludicrous.

No way would I allow a 15 year to drive a wave runner.

but they get to drive cars! I grew up all sorts of motorized vehicles as a kid. I Could have easily driven a wave-runner and not even come close to hitting anybody. They're easy to operate but in the hands of someone inexperienced with motorized vehicles they can be dangerous if the operator a) has no experience with the way they work and b)don't have a lot of common sense.

If my kid was 15 and we were at a beach at whatever port , and had no, or very little experience with wave-runners, then this would not be the place. If he/she did some experience, then that answer may be different. Especially since a lot of us know what abilities our kids have for the most part...

Not in my state. In Missouri you have to take a boaters safety course approved by the Missouri Water Patrol if you were born after January 1st 1988 to operate a PWC. Applies to residents and visitors and the fine goes to the owner of the vessel not the operator in violation.

Last year in St. Maarten we watched a teenage girl barrel through a roped off swimming area full of people. She was totally oblivious to everyone screaming at her to stop.

I believe it is the same in Florida. I know you have to be 18, with a BSC to rent or own a PWC, and it is illegal for someone under 14 to operate a PWC. The person over 14, born after 1/1/88, must have a BSC.

Clearly this kid wasnt aware of safety precautions and it cost someone else their life.

Edited by ASchaff

At what age would you allow it...16, 18, 21, 35? When do people become smarter than the machine they are sitting on. My grandkids have been driving wave runners since they were 10 or so and have never had an accident or a near miss. Condemning an entire segment of our population because of the actions of one is ludicrous.

Logical thinking. Too many people come to snap judgements without knowing the facts, and we end up here debating on an internet board.

For those debating age....Have any of you seen most "Adults" on these things?

Edited by poison7fl