Royal Caribbean tour to El Yunque

Hi, has anyone done the RC tour to El Yunque? We will be on the Liberty and only have from 7-1 so it will be just the half day tour. I was wondering if you see enough to make the excursion worth it?

We took it about 7 years ago, so it may have changed. We did not think it was worth it because we spent much more time in the bus and shopping than we did in the forest. As I recall, we stopped at some local shops, so that consumed some time. I would inqure as to how much time you actually spend in the forest.

Hi, has anyone done the RC tour to El Yunque? We will be on the Liberty and only have from 7-1 so it will be just the half day tour. I was wondering if you see enough to make the excursion worth it?

I've done a lot of reading about tours here on Trip Advisor http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147324-d1448148-Reviews-The_El_Yunque_Rain_Forest-El_Yunque_National_Forest_Puerto_Rico.html

Sounds like most people suggest taking a private (or smaller) tour or taking your own car so that you can actually get a real hike in and spend more time doing actual hiking and exploring. I'm not sure if there's a way to get a taxi to take you or something like that, but it sounds like a really cool place to explore if you can manage to get there and experience it on your own terms. The guided tours with big operations sound (to me) like a waste of time because you don't get to do any "real" hiking; it's geared towards all audiences and abilities which generally means a leisurely walk and a lecture. I'm from Colorado where we have incredible places for hiking so to me, doing the big tour sounds like a complete bore, but if you aren't an experienced hiker or are interested in more of a tourist experience just to say you went, then go with the ship.

Edited by ColoradoGurl

We rented a car for $37 and drove there ourselves. Don't remember how long it took, but it was definitely less than an hour.

It was great to take our time where and when we wanted and not be part of a large tour that wastes a lot of time!

With your own car you can stop anywhere else on your way back too.

We rented a car for $37 and drove there ourselves. Don't remember how long it took, but it was definitely less than an hour.

It was great to take our time where and when we wanted and not be part of a large tour that wastes a lot of time!

With your own car you can stop anywhere else on your way back too.

That's what we really want to do. Do you thing the 7-1 time frame would be enough time?

We have never done the ship tour, but have been down to El Yungue it takes maybe an hour if that and not hard to find. We prefer to hike and explore on our own. In fact we will be cruising out of San Juan Sat but doing the forest in the morning. If you do rent a car and drive down do not leave anything of value in the car to be safe!

I would definitely prefer to go on our own than through the ship. Just remember to figure in the time to get a rental car if they open early. You may also want to check on Trip Advisor for a small tour guide that will cater to what you want to do!

We've done the ship tour twice and enjoyed it. It was several years ago... also just be aware that traffic in San Juan can be heavy. With a short window for time you may be better with a ship tour in case of traffic delays

That's what we really want to do. Do you thing the 7-1 time frame would be enough time?

If that's the actual amount of time yu have ashore, yes.

If you book your rental car ahead of time at Enterprise, they pick you up and drop you off back at the ship!

If that's the actual amount of time yu have ashore, yes.

If you book your rental car ahead of time at Enterprise, they pick you up and drop you off back at the ship!

Oh thanks, I haven't got many positive reactions on doing the forest on a half day on our own. Was Enterprise the $37 rate you spoke about earlier? How long does it take them to bring you back to the ship. Also, when I say 7-1 that is the time on the itinerary. It's our first cruise, when they say 1 what time do you really have to be back. Thanks

You have to be back on board usually 30 minutes prior to leaving port. And you won't be getting off the ship at 7 either. It usually takes about 30 minutes after tying up at the dock for the ship to be cleared. I wouldn't try this on my own for this short time frame on a bet!

We did the horseback riding tour through the forest and we were fine with time. We had a similar short amount of time at the port in San Juan. The same excursion was also a group with the ATV tour as well. Even with the tour we had about an hour to wander around the shops nearby the port. (both were excurisons through RCI)

Edited by dividedsky

Oh thanks, I haven't got many positive reactions on doing the forest on a half day on our own. Was Enterprise the $37 rate you spoke about earlier? How long does it take them to bring you back to the ship. Also, when I say 7-1 that is the time on the itinerary. It's our first cruise, when they say 1 what time do you really have to be back. Thanks

ah, if that's not the actual amt of time you have there, then NO, do not do this on your own!!

You're docking at 7, not getting off until it is tied and the ship clears customs there. Then you don't know how long the lines will be getting off.

You also have to be back onboard at least 1/2 hr prior to 1:00.

You'll have to leave early to ensure you're not stuck in traffic!

The ship will NOT wait for you unless you book a tour through the ship!

In this case since the time frame is so small and you really want to go, I suggest book through the ship or skip it if took charge $$

Either way, enjoy your cruise!

We did the ship tour several years ago and thought it was good. It was not geared for the serious hiker, but then it was not advertised as such. As others have said, I would not try to do this on my own in the short time frame you have. Just the stress of worrying about getting back to the ship by 12:30 with San Juan traffic would take away from my enjoyment of the forest and would be a deal breaker for me.

With more time I would rent a car or would hire a local tour guide for a small group. Sometimes a ship tour is the way to go just for convenience and piece of mind when time is an issue. They are designed to show you the most in a small time frame, even with the inevitable shopping stop. If you really want to have time to explore an area deeper than be sure to book a cruise with a longer port stop, or be happy with a sample of the area and plan a return trip back on a land vacaton.

We did this tour when on Independence a couple years ago. Based on what I saw of the traffic I wouldn't do the tour on my own with that short of a time window. We were in a smaller bus, maybe 20 of us and considering we were a party of 7 it worked out great. We did 4 stops in the forest. One at a waterfall, one at the tower, another where you could walk through the forest and the final at the conservation centre on the way out. Yes I would have loved it to be longer but that is all we could fit in and get back to the ship in time.

Also for what it is worth the ages spanned from 67 to 1.5 years in our group which is why it also worked out well. MIL didn't have to hike and it was just long enough to keep the little guy happy.

Thank you all for your replies and honesty. Sounds like we will not be doing the forest on our own this time. So we can either spend the $150 on the ship tour and see a little of it, or walk around Old San Juan. Any other suggestions of the best sights for such a short time. Thanks

If you have not done it before I would suggest you go to see El Morro fortress. One of our more enjoyable days n San Juan was taking a Segway Tour of the fort and OSJ, which could easily be done in your time frame. Otherwise, I would just take a cab uphill to the fort, do a self-tour and then head back downhill towards the dock, shopping along the way. You would also have time to stop for a snoack at one of the many local bars or restaurants, or stop into Barrachina's for an original Pina Colada!:cool:

Edited by Sunny AZ Girl