RCL's pier in Cozumel

longhorn2004

RCL's pier compares poorly to Carnival's pier in Cozumel. RCL's pier has a border town feel to it. Is their plans to seriously upgrade RCL's pier?

There is construction going on at the Carnival's pier, it looks like they are adding pier fingers to accommodate more ships. RCL really need to something about its Cozumel pier.

RCL's pier compares poorly to Carnival's pier in Cozumel. RCL's pier has a border town feel to it. Is their plans to seriously upgrade RCL's pier?

There is construction going on at the Carnival's pier, it looks like they are adding pier fingers to accommodate more ships. RCL really need to something about its Cozumel pier.

Just remember the Carnival Pier is relatively new. Here is an article about the new 'finger"

http://thisiscozumel.com/news/70-latest-news/1553-new-cozumel-cruise-pier

Just remember the Carnival Pier is relatively new. Here is an article about the new 'finger"

http://thisiscozumel.com/news/70-latest-news/1553-new-cozumel-cruise-pier

All the more reason for RCZl to step p to the plate and match Carnival's facilities.

Thanks for the link, did not know Puerta Maya original pier was destroyed by a hurricane in 2005.

All the more reason for RCZl to step p to the plate and match Carnival's facilities.

Thanks for the link, did not know Puerta Maya original pier was destroyed by a hurricane in 2005.

I agree with you that International pier is pretty dated -that is where we usually arrive! There was some structural repairs done to that pier but I don't think much was done to the facilities.

The only time we came in on Carnival we also arrived at International since it was prior to the reopening of Puerta Maya but lots of people on here say that is a nicer pier.

We were there last week and it was worse than I ever remember, as far as debarking. It took probably 20 minutes to get through the line to actually get into the shopping area of the pier.

I guess the dogs checking for food items was what was taking so long, but between that and waiting another 20 minutes going through the line to get a taxi. Didn't use to be that way.

• 11 months later...
Do you end up spending time at the Pier?

Just asking because each time we go we go into town so the pier really isn't a big deal for us.

Keith

Like you I head for downtown, but not all of my friends do. And after experiencing the rebuilt and more modern Carnival pier, the RCL pier just leaves an arriving at a third world country feel for some reason.

I noticed a bunch of excavation going on between the International Pier and Puerta Maya when we were there in January. Looked like possibly additional shopping plaza. Couldn't see anyone putting up a hotel or condos dab smack between two cruise piers. As it was raining, didn't go "exploring" or even walk out to find the Blue food truck, so I don't have any other visual information about what was going on. Wasn't paying close attention but the International pier did appear a bit longer and angled out. Can't say if it was complete.