What time to book coach after ship's arrival at Southampton

pninas

Our ship arrives at Southampton at 7:00 at the end of our cruise. We realize that passengers have to have breakfast first, etc. We don't want to have to rush unduly. On the other hand, we're travelling to London for a few days before returning to Canada, so don't want to waste time. What time should we book our coach for?

Our ship arrives at Southampton at 7:00 at the end of our cruise. We realize that passengers have to have breakfast first, etc. We don't want to have to rush unduly. On the other hand, we're travelling to London for a few days before returning to Canada, so don't want to waste time. What time should we book our coach for?

Is there more than one coach to London?

Most cruise lines shut breakfast down around 8:30AM on disembarkation day.

There probably is more than one coach to London when a ship arrives.

Thanks to everyone for this. But not sure what you mean by "shuttle"? I thought we'd just hail a taxi to the coach station. Or is there such a crush when disembarking, that we should make some arrangements beforehand? Thanks for help.

I would suggest walk off if you can handle your cases. Taxis are

quickly gone. We find that there are usually many cruise ships

in port. It depends where you are parked, some are a km about away

from the coach station, and if you have wheeles you can easily walk it.

The earlier the better, if you need a taxi. There were be a lot of people

going to coach station, and train station. The shuttle they people on the board

thinking about is the cruise lines shuttle to either an airport or to a stop

in London. If I remember right it cost was about 79 usd. Your taxi, if you can

get one is less than 5 pounds for a load, and then your cost of National Coach, or the train.

I'd suggest you go to your roll call and see if there is a group reserving a car service. We paid the same as a train by booking a service with 6 others. Wonderful, easy service.

Enjoy your trip.

I did not mean "Johns car service" for s.hampton. We used Smith's.

Edited by eandj

Thanks to everyone for this. But not sure what you mean by "shuttle"? I thought we'd just hail a taxi to the coach station. Or is there such a crush when disembarking, that we should make some arrangements beforehand? Thanks for help.

I'm not sure the others understand what you want to do. But I do since we did just that. But I would buy my Coach tix in advance; don't wait until you get to the station because chances are they will have nothing available. In our case, we booked a 10:30 coach, arrived at the station at 9:10 and there were 3 seats available on the 9:30, so they gave two of them to us.

We loved that trip, especially since there is wifi on the coach which made the trip go faster.

Amazing how the answers morph. Eh? :p

K, I believe a lot of Americans don't understand the word "coach" means "bus." First time i encountered the terminology, though many years ago, I too was surprised. Travelers learn quickly what "boot", "lift",. "trolley", etc. mean in other countries.

Edited by Pia1913

It maybe worth looking at coach companies which service cruise ships. For example Eavesway Coaches. This company will pick you up from the ship and take you directly to your destination. This is how many UK cruisers travel to and from Southampton. They have numerous drop off points so you can choose the best one for you. They meet each cruise so you have no worries about delays, changes of terminals etc as they will always be outside waiting for you. You do of course need to book and this must be done I believe at least 35 days before your cruise departs. Hope this helpsx

We used silver fleet transfer service a shared van. Reserve in advance they will pick up at terminal and take you directly to your hotel in London. As for time I still think between 9-9:30 is a good time, you don't have to get up at the crack of dawn after all you are on vacation. You should be behind commuter traffic at that time (hopefully) and you can have a leisurely breakfast in the diningroom. Love London she's a wonderful city and very dear to my heart. And just to be clear a coach is a large long distance bus, not a city bus.

Thanks, everyone, for your thoughts on timing and mode of transport. We've ended up booking a coach ticket. Pia, thanks for letting us know there is Wifi on the trip to London, and that we may be able to board earlier if timing works out. Looking forward to the cruise and to our days in London. Thanks again - Happy Sailing!