Carnival Spirit stuck off-shore during huge storm in Australia

DW and I were in a Nor'easter while on a fall cruise to Canada. 80 MPH winds and 38' seas. We could not go into a couple ports, but it wasn't all that bad. A bit of topside damage due to the waves and some water damage here and there. Quite a few got sea sick and stayed in their cabins - but, those who didn't had an easy time getting a table for dinner or breakfast. These ships are big - and the crew knows how to sail them. Staying out at sea is normally the bast place for ships, guests and crew.

Don't worry. . Our buddies at CNN are all over this one. I don't see what the fuss is.. you get on board a floating hotel, this sort of thing can happen. Have another drink and enjoy the ride.

You are so correct. They are safely back in now, but .....really?

On the phone with her Attorney now I would bet ;)

I thought I heard the screeching breaks of the ambulance chasers all the way from Australia late last night, as they got to the dock to offer support and ...... oh by the way, sign these papers.

I came over to see the opinions on this. In March of 2014, we were on RCI Grandeur of the Seas returning to Baltimore and we had 25-35 foot waves for about 18 hours due to several large low pressure systems with a couple of 40 foot ones thrown in. We also had winds of over 50mph. Honestly, it was never scary, just a little nauseating. When they said 35+ foot waves, I was like "why is this news"? On Carnival, I think the worst we've ever had was on Miracle returning to NY and that was probably 15-20 foot waves. My DH who is a retired Naval officer endured 40 foot seas on an 8000 ton ship several times, waves that were over the deck and bow. Cruise ships have been through worse and come out just fine.

Carnival does a really good job of keeping passengers and crew safe during inclement weather IMO. I think the bigger story surrounds all the passengers that have to make alternative travel plans after docking late at the end of their cruise. That is always an ordeal in this world of airline change fees and already crowded aircraft.

We were out during hurricane Sandy we had 60 mph plus winds and 30 ft seas easy. I had a good time going up to the serenity deck watching the waves and listening to the wind howling. Been through hurricanes in the Navy on much smaller vessels.

With the port of Sydney closed they really did not have much choice but to ride it out.

Edited by bm6pm5