How formal is formal on a holiday cruise

zelker

We'll be doing a full Panama Canal transit on Amsterdam over Christmas and New Years. Normally we don't take "formal" formal wear (i.e., tuxes & gowns) anymore but should we expect to see more of that on an 18 night cruise over the holidays, even in warm-weather climes?

I did the same cruise in 13/14.

Many of the passengers are on board for the World Voyage as well, so the crowd tends to be older and well established.

We had late, fixed dining, and the formal nights demonstrated a substantial number of dinner suits. New Year's Eve was one of them and formal wear was particularly in evidence.

The tropical climes did not prevent kilts from making appearances (two of us at late dining--a couple of others spotted elsewhere).

I thought that might be the case. However, on this itinerary we are in ports on Xmas Eve, Xmas Day and until 11pm on New Year's Eve so not sure what they will do for formal nights but suspect it will be none of those three days.

I thought that might be the case. However, on this itinerary we are in ports on Xmas Eve, Xmas Day and until 11pm on New Year's Eve so not sure what they will do for formal nights but suspect it will be none of those three days.

That is going to be an interesting holiday cruise. The crew will be hard-pressed to set a regular Christmas schedule.

That is going to be an interesting holiday cruise. The crew will be hard-pressed to set a regular Christmas schedule.

We're in Puerto Chiapas, Mexico on Christmas Eve until 6pm and Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala on Christmas Day from 7am until 5pm, so no, not exactly conducive to an easy Christmas schedule onboard, you're right. (as an aside, I'm also wondering if anything will even be open on Christmas Day although the ship does have some excursions available).

As for New Years Eve, since I'm sure all-aboard will be 10:30 they'll still have plenty of time to get a late evening party going, complete with a countdown to midnight, but like I said, I can't imagine it will be an actual formal night.

In my experience on HAL for holiday cruises, 10+ years ago lots of people were in black tie type apparel on formal night. In recent years, even on the Amsterdam on the pre-world cruise voyage, there were some in black tie but not many. It might be slightly more formal than most, but not by a large margin.

Most holiday cruises are in warm weather areas, and that isn't something new, so I don't think that would be a factor.

In my experience, usually either Christmas Eve or Christmas night is a formal night, but not both. If only one were a sea day, I would guess that would be the formal night, but if both are port nights, then probably one still will be.

With one exception, New Year's eve has always been a formal night on HAL in my experience. The one discrepancy (for me, and there could easily have been others) was on the Prinsendam in 2011-12, for a cruise right before the Grand South America voyage. That night we were in St. Martin until 12:30 am and the dress code was changed to formal-optional. All-aboard was 11:30 pm that night, then at midnight the locals set off an impressive fire works display at midnight. (Many people were out on deck to watch and it was certainly too warm and humid to be outside in a tuxedo and still be comfortable.) We sailed after the show was over. There was then a "midnight in New York City" party in the Ocean Bar at 1 am local time (midnight in NYC) for people who wanted a party with music and dancing.

It seems that Prinsendam schedule was a bit of a last minute change as New Years Eve had been listed in voyage summary (the one given out the first day upon boarding) as formal, but changed in the daily planner given out 12/30.

So, I am not sure what you will experience. I am sure there will be some formal nights, but I would not expect it to be overly so.

For reference, I have been on six HAL Christmas and New Years cruises over the time range of 2004 - 2014.

In my experience on HAL for holiday cruises, 10+ years ago lots of people were in black tie type apparel on formal night. In recent years, even on the Amsterdam on the pre-world cruise voyage, there were some in black tie but not many. It might be slightly more formal than most, but not by a large margin.

Most holiday cruises are in warm weather areas, and that isn't something new, so I don't think that would be a factor.

In my experience, usually either Christmas Eve or Christmas night is a formal night, but not both. If only one were a sea day, I would guess that would be the formal night, but if both are port nights, then probably one still will be.

With one exception, New Year's eve has always been a formal night on HAL in my experience. The one discrepancy (for me, and there could easily have been others) was on the Prinsendam in 2011-12, for a cruise right before the Grand South America voyage. That night we were in St. Martin until 12:30 am and the dress code was changed to formal-optional. All-aboard was 11:30 pm that night, then at midnight the locals set off an impressive fire works display at midnight. (Many people were out on deck to watch and it was certainly too warm and humid to be outside in a tuxedo and still be comfortable.) We sailed after the show was over. There was then a "midnight in New York City" party in the Ocean Bar at 1 am local time (midnight in NYC) for people who wanted a party with music and dancing.

It seems that Prinsendam schedule was a bit of a last minute change as New Years Eve had been listed in voyage summary (the one given out the first day upon boarding) as formal, but changed in the daily planner given out 12/30.

So, I am not sure what you will experience. I am sure there will be some formal nights, but I would not expect it to be overly so.

For reference, I have been on six HAL Christmas and New Years cruises over the time range of 2004 - 2014.

Thanks for this very knowledgeable reply. I, too, am sure there will be some formal nights but suspect we'll forego the tuxes/gowns and stick with suit and LBD for those nights.