Please tell me about the hand sanitizer squad!

ExpatBride

When can I expect to be deloused? I wear (very) antique wedding rings and I'm not happy about having them sprayed with hand sanitizer, and my jeweller agrees.

Just so I'm prepared, where and when can I expect to encounter the hand sanitizing squad? I want to make sure my rings are safely tucked away.

I saw an embarkation video and they were spraying people going onto the ship, is that the norm?

Edited by ExpatBride

There are hand sanitizer dispensers all around the ship. I have seen them spray your hands on embarkation day. There are dispensers and sometimes, people with sprayers, at the entrance to all dining facilities. There are dispensers at the entrance to any public areas such as the theater, shopping area, bars, etc. There are dispensers when you come aboard from a port stop. I consider it a common courtesy to my fellow passengers to use them. The last thing I would want to have is the Noro Virus run rampart on my ship. If it is not good for your rings, plan on putting them in your pocket often.

There are hand sanitizer dispensers all around the ship. I have seen them spray your hands on embarkation day. There are dispensers and sometimes, people with sprayers, at the entrance to all dining facilities. There are dispensers at the entrance to any public areas such as the theater, shopping area, bars, etc. There are dispensers when you come aboard from a port stop. I consider it a common courtesy to my fellow passengers to use them. The last thing I would want to have is the Noro Virus run rampart on my ship. If it is not good for your rings, plan on putting them in your pocket often.

Just so you know the spray does not kill Noro and many other viruses. The only thing you can do to prevent Noro is was your hands with hot water ofter and avoid touching things other passengers do ( this is virtually impossible)

flowers44 has it right, and I didn't detect any snark.

Also, to add to that thought... this is how things like antique wedding rings get lost. Taking off, putting away, putting on, taking off, putting away, putting on, taking off, putting away, putting...wait... where'd that ring go?

Consider leaving them off, maybe? I dunno...

They are everywhere. You are best to leave your rings safely at home if that is a concern. They will want you to use sanitizer every time you get on the ship in any port as well as when you enter any of the restaurants/buffet. You can choose to walk past without spraying but you are putting yourself at risk of getting sick at some point on the cruise.

I found the women spraying you down when you entered the buffet on the Gem. Other than that, there were hand sanitizers all over the place, as stated. There were also hand sanitizers at the buffet so you could just walk by and apply yourself. Again, if you are really worried about the jewelry then don't wear it.

The staff with sprayers are at both ends of the buffet. Also they were stationed on the dock whenever we returned to the ship in port.

Most of them don't say anything if you keep walking, but some insist. One woman would stare off into space until you were several paces away and then shout at you to come back.

Just so you know the spray does not kill Noro and many other viruses. The only thing you can do to prevent Noro is was your hands with hot water ofter and avoid touching things other passengers do ( this is virtually impossible)

This is why I just shake my head no and keep on walking. I have never had a problem with doing this. FWIW I also do this with the photographers!

This is why I just shake my head no and keep on walking. I have never had a problem with doing this. FWIW I also do this with the photographers!

Ditto this. I'm quite capable of washing my hands, and do frequently. I save the hand sanitizer for when there are no other options, as it's relatively ineffective anyway.

Really? Leave my wedding rings at home over hand sanitizer? LOL!

It's not a problem to stash the rings in my handbag or DH's pocket until my hands are dry. They're safer with me than at home in the safe, I highly doubt we'll lose 9 carats worth of stones in the 20 seconds it'll take for my hands to dry.

I think the hand sanitizer is mostly theatre...I'm a frequent hand washer anyway, especially in public places, and never use the stuff.

But I will of course follow their rules. I just wanted to be prepared and not hold up the lines by having to juggle my bags, take off rings, etc.,

Thanks for all of the helpful replies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What kind of ring cannot withstand sanitizer if they are real metal and real stones not secured by glue?:confused:

It's not that they can't withstand it as much as some sanitizers can leave residue on the stones and settings, which I'd like to avoid. This is why I also remove them to wash my hands in Denmark's very hard water. They can of course be steam cleaned, but why not just avoid it if I can?

They can also strip the rhodium on white gold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by ExpatBride

Just an FYI there are several hand santizers that are out that are effective against Noro. You have to make sure you get one made for this purpose, and I am not sure what NCL uses but they do exist.

Here is an example: http://www.germstar.com/us/germstar-products/hand-sanitzers/germstar-noro/

6&8

Just an FYI there are several hand santizers that are out that are effective against Noro. You have to make sure you get one made for this purpose, and I am not sure what NCL uses but they do exist.

Here is an example: http://www.germstar.com/us/germstar-products/hand-sanitzers/germstar-noro/

6&8

Maybe they do but the issue is this, false sense of security, you can spray yourself 100 times a day and a second later touch something that someone else infected has touched and game over. I am in the food service industry and the same can be said for gloves, it gives people a false sense of security, even with a pair of gloves on if you touch raw food than cooked food, same over.

I am not trying to be gross but have you ever sat down and watched people going through a buffet or even going about their normal lives. Watch and see how many time people touch their face, scratch their head, wipe their nose, bite their nails, etc etc. Everyone does this, everyone, they are not bad people because they do, it is human nature.

I am by no means a germaphobe but doing little things help like after washing your hands in the bathroom don't touch the door with you hands, use your elbow, foot, or a paper towel. Try avoiding using bannisters on the steps, push the elevator button with elbow or back of hand, I can go on and on.

Nothing beats a good hand washing with hot water and lots of soap. The sanitizers like you describe with a high alchohol content may kill noro but they wreak havoc on hands, drying them out and are very painful if you have any nicks or cuts. When you wash your hands a good rule of thumb is, to yourself or aloud sing the "happy birthday song" two times or 20 seconds and don't forget you have a back of your hand.

OK now I'm worried - how pervasive is this "spray"? I have asthma and sprayed chemicals tend to trigger my attacks. For example a bottle of alcohol can be poured out and not bother me but spray it in the air and it is a whole other ball of wax. I don't even walk through the perfume dept in stores.

I too am a religious hand washer and don't put much faith in hand sanitizer.

My sister has a severe allergy to topical alcohol. Any hand sanitizer sprayed on her hands could potentially put her in the hospital. On our last cruise, she was very careful to keep her hands completely away from the "hand sanitizer squad". She also watched where she put her hands anywhere else on the ship, hand rails, for instance, in case a crew member had just cleaned them. There was never an issue.

6&8

Sometimes when I see a company tout their own product which is contradictory to what regulatory agencies and known experts on the matter say, I am skeptical.

What kind of ring cannot withstand sanitizer if they are real metal and real stones not secured by glue?:confused:

Well I have a big tahitian pearl and Diamond ring, and there is no way that hand sanitizer is Good for pearls . So.now I would kindly refuse the sanitizer as it is very hard on your skin. If you wash your hands regularly there is not need for this.

No spraying needed or appreciated. Same with our grass!

Edited by Merriem