11am flight from FLL reasonable?

sprockie

What about coming back from a TA? Does one have to go thru Customs in FL???

Yes, if your embarkation port is the first stop you have made in U.S. since being out of the country.

Are you suggesting you think that a wise flight time following a cruise? :)

Surely you had just a bit of anxiety over it?

Happy it worked for you but few of us would make that choice.

Sail, definitely NOT suggesting it is a 'wise' thing to do. And yes, there was some anxiety.

Just stating how it worked for ME.

We did it and it worked out fine, :) 3 times. felt comfortable as the airport is so close to the dock. Don't know that I would do it at other ports. We carried our own bags off and it was very organized as we went thru customs. The wait for our cab took longer than customs.

It all comes down to a comfort level, if it is giving you anxiety don't do it. Just get the latest disembarkation from the ship and relax. They will have you off the ship fast.....remember all those boarding passengers who will be boarding and hoping to get on by noon!

We did it and it worked out fine, :) 3 times. felt comfortable as the airport is so close to the dock. Don't know that I would do it at other ports. We carried our own bags off and it was very organized as we went thru customs. The wait for our cab took longer than customs.

Be in that first wave of passengers off the ship and there is no waiting for a cab.

Beware of community events in Ft. Lauderdale (such as running races) that block off streets and create mayhem for airport transfers.

In early February there were long traffic jams from the port to the airport because of a marathon and half-marathon. The traffic was backed up for miles, on surface streets and the freeway. This was on a Sunday, when many ships were in port.

My taxi driver was irritated because the long delay in traffic meant that he and his colleagues couldn't make multiple round trips from the port to the airport. As we sat in traffic, he would roll down his window and talk to the other taxi drivers in traffic next to us. "No money today mon" he'd say. And then add a complaint about the city scheduling such an event on a heavy cruise ship day.

Thankfully I was headed to a hotel for an overnight, and didn't have to stress about the time. But if I had taken my usual 12:00 flight, it would have left without me !

BTW, I just checked the half-marathon date for next year ...it will happen all over again on Sunday, February 14, 2016, with the course open (streets blocked) from 6 am- 12 noon. :)

Edited by Boatdrill

Can you tell me if you think an 11am flight from FLL is do-able (from Port Everglades) if we self-disembark?

What time roughly does self-disembark begin (if there are no customs delays)

What if the ship is "late" getting into Port Everglades?

Beware of community events in Ft. Lauderdale (such as running races) that block off streets and create mayhem for airport transfers.

In early February there were long traffic jams from the port to the airport because of a marathon and half-marathon. The traffic was backed up for miles, on surface streets and the freeway. This was on a Sunday, when many ships were in port.

My taxi driver was irritated because the long delay in traffic meant that he and his colleagues couldn't make multiple round trips from the port to the airport. As we sat in traffic, he would roll down his window and talk to the other taxi drivers in traffic next to us. "No money today mon" he'd say. And then add a complaint about the city scheduling such an event on a heavy cruise ship day.

Thankfully I was headed to a hotel for an overnight, and didn't have to stress about the time. But if I had taken my usual 12:00 flight, it would have left without me !

BTW, I just checked the half-marathon date for next year ...it will happen all over again on Sunday, February 14, 2016, with the course open (streets blocked) from 6 am- 12 noon. :)

Other than the Dolphins Cycling Challenge in early February, there really isn't anything that closes the road between the airport and Port Everglades. Even that doesn't really close the road. It closes roads near the route from the port to the airport, which makes things a mess.

There are plenty of other events that mess up traffic, but it's usually along A1A (along the beach) and Las Olas Blvd that are impacted. The direct route to and from the port & airport is only 3.3 miles, and it's about the most hassle free drive in Fort Lauderdale. (That's a relative thing though. It depends on what kind of traffic you're used to.)