Norwegian vs. Celebrity for Mediterranean Cruise

viranpooja

Hi! I am new to this forum so please forgive me if this has already been discussed in the past. A little bit about my cruising experience: I have only been on one seven day cruise before and that was with Star Princess to Alaska.

We are booked on a cruise to the Mediterranean on Norwegian for 14 days. The age range of our group varies from 16 as the youngest to 57 being the oldest. We recently just found a 14 day cruise on Celebrity (similar price to Norwegian) and it has almost the same itinerary.

* The difference being that Celebrity goes to Istanbul whereas Norwegian goes to Corfu, Greece

* On Norwegian we are all next to each other on the deck, whereas on Celebrity it is a guaranteed room so we will not know where we will be on the ship.

* Many of us are vegetarians and I hear that NCL may NOT have many options for vegetarians

* Celebrity only stops in Santorini until 5pm, whereas NCL stops in Santorini until 10pm which means I get to see the sunset which I have been longing to see in Santorini

Now the question becomes, is it better to go on Celebrity (premium line with better food) or better to go on Norwegian (which seems to be more "fun" for the younger crowd, and we know where we will be located on the ship)? We have reserved both at this point and are hoping for some insight before cancelling one over the other! Any advice will be helpful! Thanks in advance!!!

Which Norwegian ship? We were on the Spirit from Barcelona to Venice last summer, and I think she still sails that route for the foreseeable future, but I also heard the Epic is sailing in the Med now.

The Spirit was NCL's oldest and smallest ship, and there were 4 of us in one tiny inside cabin. The food was not great, but adequate. The itinerary was stunning, and the price was much less than a similar route done by both Celebrity and Princess.

Which Norwegian ship? We were on the Spirit from Barcelona to Venice last summer, and I think she still sails that route for the foreseeable future, but I also heard the Epic is sailing in the Med now.

The Spirit was NCL's oldest and smallest ship, and there were 4 of us in one tiny inside cabin. The food was not great, but adequate. The itinerary was stunning, and the price was much less than a similar route done by both Celebrity and Princess.

Thank you for the quick response! Norwegian JADE vs. Celebrity CONSTELLATION to be specific. Jade goes to Greece, Turkey, and Croatia.

We just returned from an NCL cruise on the Pearl. Had been on the Getaway in Jan. I was very impressed with all the vegetarian choices. Although I am not a vegetarian and neither is my husband, I remarked how many choices there were for vegetarians. I'm sure their menus are fleet wise so you wouldn't have a problem with the food.

We just returned from an NCL cruise on the Pearl. Had been on the Getaway in Jan. I was very impressed with all the vegetarian choices. Although I am not a vegetarian and neither is my husband, I remarked how many choices there were for vegetarians. I'm sure their menus are fleet wise so you wouldn't have a problem with the food.

Thanks that makes me feel better. 14 days without good vegetarian food would surely suck! I guess the reviews I had read were from back in 2010-2012 so maybe they have improved in their options

In the future Spirit will do only summer itineraries in Med, she will leave this fall to Port Canaveral for the winter (Jade does the same but goes to Houston).

Also Epic has spent summers in Med for several years, now that she completes the ongoing eastbound TA, she is in Med to stay - year round.

I'm also a vegetarian and managed to get copies of Norwegian's MDR menus. On that point alone, I'd choose Celebrity. There are veggie options at every meal, but they're limited, full of starch, and lacking protein in a major way. It's the usual vegetarian pasta trap we're all so very used to.

I think it's important to hear from other vegetarians on the topic of food, our perception is a bit more nuanced than omnis noticing a few items without meat. You won't starve, but if good and varied nutritionally sufficient food is important to you, you might be disappointed. Protein is usually the least of my worries, but I'm bringing protein bars to counteract the predicted overload of carbs.

I'd have chosen Celebrity over Norwegian in a heartbeat also because of the onboard experience, I'm not a fan of Norwegian's ultra casual experience. But Celebrity isn't cruising the Fjords and Norwegian's dates and itinerary was the most suitable for us, of the options we had available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by ExpatBride

This is a tough one. I have sailed both Celebrity and NCL in the Mediterranean with teenagers. Celebrity's main dining room food is better, but there were not a lot of options if you did not want to dress and eat. My kids did the buffet or room service a lot on the Celebrity Equinox. NCL had more casual restaurant choices. NCL is more "fun", but when you are cruising Europe, you will have very long days and will be tired. I am not sure the activities matter as much. My kids still had fun on Celebrity. They did not attend either teen club.

I would choose Istanbul over Corfu. Istanbul was very exciting and exotic. Corfu was very beautiful. We used Corfu as an easy, relaxing day.

Santorini can be a zoo when using the cable car. The extra time may be a real advantage. I would check the time of the sunset when you are going. You would have to be back on the ship before 9:30. Give yourself at least an hour to get on the cable car. I would be concerned you would miss the sunset.

Having everyone's rooms near each other is a big plus. It makes getting everyone together much easier. I would not want my kids away from me on the ship.

I am not sure this is helpful. The bottom line is that you can't make a bad decision. Either cruise will be wonderful.

Edited by NCruiser2012

As you can see from my signature, we have sailed on both NCL and Celebrity a number of times, including a Med cruise on the Jade (in the middle of the winter!) that remains one of our favorite cruises to date. (I will add that we were in suite, the only time we've ever sailed in a suite, but that was not the only reason we loved the trip.)

To me, a Med cruise is more about the ports than the ship and onboard activities. Only the OP can really weigh how much more important it would be to visit Istanbul than Corfu, or to have a little additional time in Santorini.

I will add that I am not a fan of booking guarantee cabins, as you don't know where you'll wind up, and could be in an undesirable location. And here, with a group of folks, it seems NCL is a huge plus as the group already has cabins together.

OP: Celebrity is not a "premium" line. Yes, it's a little more "upscale" than NCL in terms of being somewhat less casual and having formal nights, and the food (imho) overall is better, but the Connie is an older ship, and while it's quite nice (we've been on her sister, the Infinity), it does not have the "wow" factor of the newer S-class ships. Not saying not to cruise on her, but I wanted to lower expectations a bit.

I can't speak to the vegetarian menu options, but I think that with having to go guarantee on Celebrity v. known (and together) locations on NCL, that's a big plus for NCL.

Whatever you choose, have a great time!

I am on Jade in two weeks. Am doing the 14 night cruise with a day stop back in Venice. I too had choices. Royal Caribbean, NCL, or Celebrity. I choose NCL for three reasons.

1. Itinerary- loved the port stops; Greek Islands, Turkey, Croatia. There will be only one other ship in Santorini when we arrive. Actually there are some ports where we will be the only ship in port.

2. Casual atmosphere. I'm traveling with a group of 10. I wear suit and tie to work every day; so not having to dress us for dinner is a treat for all the guys. Our wives are happy too; they can dress casual for dinner. Also, with port intensive cruise; its nice not having to rush back to ship to meet our dining time

3. Ship. I think Jade is a great ship. I think Celebrity is too formal of a ship for this cruise. Since we will be onboard for two weeks; having the laid back feel and vibe is more appealing to us.

4. My sister who is traveling with us eats only gluten free; and she has checked out the menu. NCL has this option at all resturatunts.; so I'm sure they get quite a few vegetarians also.

** this is my opinion and mine only.

This is a tough one. I have sailed both Celebrity and NCL in the Mediterranean with teenagers. Celebrity's main dining room food is better, but there were not a lot of options if you did not want to dress and eat. My kids did the buffet or room service a lot on the Celebrity Equinox. NCL had more casual restaurant choices. NCL is more "fun", but when you are cruising Europe, you will have very long days and will be tired. I am not sure the activities matter as much. My kids still had fun on Celebrity. They did not attend either teen club..

Was room service food extra in cost on Celebrity? What about NCL?

I forgot to mention, not sure if this would change anything, but although the NCL cruise does not go to Istanbul, it does go to Ephesus. Not sure if Istanbul and Ephesus are comparable at all?

Was room service food extra in cost on Celebrity? What about NCL?

I forgot to mention, not sure if this would change anything, but although the NCL cruise does not go to Istanbul, it does go to Ephesus. Not sure if Istanbul and Ephesus are comparable at all?

Our most recent sailing on Celebrity was this past fall. There was no charge for room service that I can remember. (We rarely use room service, and this would not drive the train [or ship] for us.)

Re Istanbul v. Ephesus, and with the caveat that I've never been to Istanbul (but it's high on my list), I'm not sure how you'd compare a living city with a city of ruins, but Ephesus is phenomenal. We visited Ephesus on our Med cruise aboard the Jade, and went on a private shore excursion with a guide; It was a truly extraordinary day; the ruins are amazing. It is a place well worth visiting, particularly with a private guide. (And be sure to include the Terrace Houses.)

LibraryofCelsus.jpg

EphesusTheatre.jpg

(Ephesus photos by turtles06)

Thanks that makes me feel better. 14 days without good vegetarian food would surely suck! I guess the reviews I had read were from back in 2010-2012 so maybe they have improved in their options

I have been on the sky and the epic , I am NOT a vegetarian but I've noticed a lot of vegetarian options on those two ships.

Our most recent sailing on Celebrity was this past fall. There was no charge for room service that I can remember. (We rarely use room service, and this would not drive the train [or ship] for us.)

Re Istanbul v. Ephesus, and with the caveat that I've never been to Istanbul (but it's high on my list), I'm not sure how you'd compare a living city with a city of ruins, but Ephesus is phenomenal. We visited Ephesus on our Med cruise aboard the Jade, and went on a private shore excursion with a guide; It was a truly extraordinary day; the ruins are amazing. It is a place well worth visiting, particularly with a private guide. (And be sure to include the Terrace Houses.)

LibraryofCelsus.jpg

EphesusTheatre.jpg

Great photos!! I didn't get to see to much while we were there, very short stop then three days in Istanbul, wasn't to happy about that, next time I suppose

*Living Large*

Totally agree with AF1s comments.

Istanbul is nice and has a lot of history. However Kusadasi is also great and as long as you get to Ephesus you will be happy for sure.

Corfu is such a nice island anyway and we hired a car there and travelled all around the island, make sure you visit the summer palace whilst on the island.

Jade .v. Constellation. Thinking about this I would probably do the Jade. If your choice on Celebrity was a S class ship ie Eclipse for eg I would do Celebrity, however wouldnt choose Constellation over Jade.

Jade you will have more dining choices and most probably better nightly entertainment.

The Jade's itinerary is great and you wont be sorry.

Cheers Bob

Edited by portcbob

OP: Celebrity is not a "premium" line. Yes, it's a little more "upscale" than NCL in terms of being somewhat less casual and having formal nights, and the food (imho) overall is better, but the Connie is an older ship, and while it's quite nice (we've been on her sister, the Infinity), it does not have the "wow" factor of the newer S-class ships. Not saying not to cruise on her, but I wanted to lower expectations a bit.

Whatever you choose, have a great time!

I'm glad you clarified that because I do have really high expectations of Celebrity since it advertises itself as "premium"

I guess since I visit India quite frequently, I did not feel that the grand bazaar would be much different to all the bazaars in India. But from the way it sounds, it sounds pretty big

Also, Rhodes vs. Corfu? Is one prettier than the other? That's one more difference between the two cruises as well

I am on Jade in two weeks. Am doing the 14 night cruise with a day stop back in Venice. I too had choices. Royal Caribbean, NCL, or Celebrity. I choose NCL for three reasons.

1. Itinerary- loved the port stops; Greek Islands, Turkey, Croatia. There will be only one other ship in Santorini when we arrive. Actually there are some ports where we will be the only ship in port.

Have an amazing time!!!!!! How are you able to tell that you are the only other ship in Santorini?

Those are some great photos! Thanks for sharing

Have only sailed with celebrity and doing NCL in next few weeks so can't comment on the cruise.

Istanbu or Corfu??? I absolutely hated Istanbul and will never visit there again so I would choose Corfu.

Why did you hate Istanbul?

In Istanbul, we visited the Hagia Sophia - absolutely worth seeing. See the PBS Nova episode about it. We tried to visit the Blue Mosque but seems like every time we wandered over, they were closed for worship. We then went to the Grand Bazaar and the Spice Market - I could easily spend days wandering through there. Finally, on the walk back to the ship, we discovered a candy shop where we spent $$$. Absolutely worth it. Should have bought more.

If you visit Ephesus (also highly recommended), make sure to wear shoes with good tread...the marble is VERY slick from being walked on for thousands of years (same thing on the Acropolis in Athens).

Sorry, OP.. Quick question for the above poster.. did they take your passport at the beginning of the cruise or did you keep it with you? Im on this sailing in July.

AND OP.. I would definitely go for Istanbul although Ephesus is Phenominal as well.. Tough choice..

1. ports

2. price

Edited by b_cruise