Review of NCL Epic 3/29-4/5 Bad Experience with Bed bugs and broken Glass in the bed.

Hello and thank you for taking the time to read my review. I am writing this knowing that there may be some in Cruise Critic land that may pile on me for writing this. It is my hope that by writing this it is more of a buyer be where. So here goes nothing.

I booked a 7 night western Caribbean cruise aboard the Norwegian Epic. The sail date was 3/29/2015. Ports of Call were Jamaica/Grand Cayman/Cozumel Mexico. The room we stayed in was a Mini Suite 10264.

We arrived at in Miami on 3/29/2015 at about 12:15am and spent the very short night at the Red Roof Inn located by the airport. While Red Roof was not my 1st choice I went with the mindset that it was a place to sleep and with getting in so late all that I wanted was a place to sleep. Check in to the Red Roof went fine as we already had prepaid for the room via Expedia. As we were heading to the room via the pool area I noticed that the door to our rooms was propped. There were people smoking dope in the pool area. Considering the time we checked in I was not wanting to deal with anything like that. Wake up was at 8:00am. They had a "limited breakfast" consisting of toast/bagels/juice. We were given a pickup time for the free shuttle to the port for 1:00pm with a checkout time of 11:00am. At 11:00am we checked out and hung out in lobby along with the rest of the masses waiting to go to the port. Luckily at about 12:00pm someone missed their time and we were able to take the shuttle then. The shuttle to the port was about 20 minutes.

We checked in at the port going through Terminal C. Thankfully prior reading of Cruise Critic made me aware to make sure to go to the right terminal as there are multiple ones. Checking in took about 15-20 minutes and we were given a boarding number. In the area where everyone waits it took about 30 minutes till our boarding group was called. Once our number was called we boarded the Epic smoothly. Since our luggage and room was not ready we went to O'Shienans for lunch. Lunch was usually bar food but at that point we were hungry so didn't matter. Along with the lunch we also ordered some drinks. Not knowing that while the boat is still docked in Miami that you have to pay tax on the drinks (So much for the UBP). After that we then went to the room.

We arrived in the room at about 1:30pm. We started putting away our belongings for the cruise. When my wife attempted to secure our valuables in the safe provided in the room she was unable to do so as the safe would not work. Upon observing this we contacted guest services. Guest services advised us that they would send someone up right away. About 15-20 minutes later someone from maintenance arrived at our stateroom. He believed that it was a faulty battery and went to get different batteries to replace the ones that were dead. At about 3:00pm he returned to our stateroom to replace the batteries. After the batteries were replaced he advised us that the safe was working fine even though the front of the safe was held together with only 1 screw (the other screw was broken and placed on the shelf) and you could move the face of the safe (where the digital combination was located). After he left the room we attempted to use the safe only to find out that it still did not work. I contacted guest services advising them of the situation and that I would like for someone to return back to our stateroom to fix the safe. They advised me that there would not be anyone available till after 6:30pm. We agreed to meeting with them at that time. At about 6:30pm we returned back to our stateroom only to be advised by our cabin steward that they were in a meeting and would not be available until after 8:00pm or we could contact them the next day. The steward also advised us that in order for the safe to be fixed that we needed to be present in the room. We decided that since we had dinner and show reservations (that if canceled outside of the allowed time frame we would be charged) to wait till the next day to have them fix the safe.

On 3/30/2015 at about 10:00am we called guest services to make another request for the safe to be fixed. Guest services advised us that they would send someone again to our room to fix the safe. About 30 minutes later someone from maintenance arrived at our room to put a screw in the safe. The maintenance worker attempted to put a screw in the safe but it didn't work. He then decided to replace the safe with a new one. About 30 minutes later he returned with a new safe and swapped out the old one.

On 4/3/2015 when we woke up I observed a bite mark under my sons’ right arm by his arm pit. After seeing this I then looked at the sheets further and noticed 3 straight line stains at the foot of our bed which looked similar to stains left by bed bugs. After seeing this I started pulling the sheets back only to find red and black specs on the sheets. I also found pieces of glass on my side of the bed. After finding this I immediately went down to the customer service desk to make them aware of the situation. They contacted housekeeping along with pest control. I then returned back to our room. At about 9:00am housekeeping along with pest control arrived at the room to check the room. At that point our cabin steward had already started cleaning the room and I was unable to take the necessary pictures needed to show the stains. One of the housekeepers who identified himself as Jo Jo (assistant head housekeeper), advised me that an inspection was needed to be done to check the room for bed bugs. I stated to him that I would like to be present for the inspection but due to the time being what it was and having to be on shore for a paid for excursion that I would not be able to be there. Jo Jo advised me that it was ok and that they would still do the inspection and report back to us when we returned what the findings were.

At about 4:00pm we returned back to the boat and met with Jo Jo. He advised us that the inspection was done of the room and no bed bugs were found. He also stated that in regards to glass that broken, that glass was also found under the bed. It was as if he was making it sound as though we broke the glass. I advised him that under no circumstances did we break any glasses in the room and I felt as though he was questioning my integrity about reporting the issue. He then attempted to offer to buy us a dinner as compensation for our troubles but we refused as we already had the dining plan. He then departed our room and returned shortly. He then advised us that he would like to offer us a 100.00 ship board credit for our troubles. I agreed to the offer as I know that was probably all that could be done at the present time while the ship was at sea.

During the night of 4/4/2015 while sleeping, I constantly felt something biting my feet and legs. On 4/5/2015 I pulled back the sheets to find similar things as far as the specks and stains that I found the morning of 4/3/2015. Since it was the last day of the cruise I did not contact guest services as I felt from the previous contact regarding this issue it would not be addressed.

Now that we are home I and my wife had to spend most of the day (on 4/6/2015) doing laundry outside of our home at a laundry mat as well as having to buy new luggage. The reason why is because we did not want to take any chances with bringing the bed bugs into our home.

Things I take away from the experience is the cruise itself was fun. We ate in numerous restaurants like Cagney’s/Teppanyaki/the Italian restaurant along with both MDR's. The food choices were many. Entertainment aboard was good and many different options. It is too bad that 3 incidents that happened overshadowed what could have been a great vacation because NCL almost had me convinced of it being a good product.

Since getting off the boat I have made numerous attempts to get in contact with their guest relations to voice my displeasure about what has happened to us on the cruise. When we got back on 4/6/15, I drafted a letter to their Customer Relations Department in hopes to call their attention to the issues we experienced. The 1st attempt on 4/6/15 the attachment to their online form was lost and it wasn't until 4/9/15 that I was made aware that they didn't receive it. On 4/13/2015 another attempt was made to send the letter via fax. It was received but each time I speak with someone in Customer Relations they seem very unhelpful and not willing to listen. As much as I hate to say it NCL is a "Dirty Word" in our house after the things we experienced on the cruise.

Sounds very unpleasant, I truly hope none of those dirty little buggers make their way into your home. As far as the glass goes, that is unacceptable. Good luck in your future cruises hope this was a one off occurrence

*Living Large*

Sorry that you experienced this on your cruise! Are you sure it was bed bugs though? I thought that they were quite well known for injecting a liquid as they bite which means that you can't feel them biting (hence you sleep on), yet you state that you felt them biting you. Maybe it wasn't bed bugs and you don't need to be as worried.

I've never encountered bed bugs in a hotel room of any kind, however there was some good advice in another thread about putting your luggage in the bathroom and making a quick bed inspection when you first get in a room, which I will follow from now on.

Edited by SquishTheWhale

Sorry that you experienced this on your cruise! Are you sure it was bed bugs though? I thought that they were quite well known for injecting a liquid as they bite which means that you can't feel them biting (hence you sleep on), yet you state that you felt them biting you. Maybe it wasn't bed bugs and you don't need to be as worried.

I've never encountered bed bugs in a hotel room of any kind, however there was some good advice in another thread about putting your luggage in the bathroom and making a quick bed inspection when you first get in a room, which I will follow from now on.

I had never encountered anything of the sort either until this last cruise either. Kinda freaked me out. Although this was a bad experience and has put a sour taste in my mouth as far as NCL goes it hasn't soured me on cruising. Just going to be more careful in the preinspection prior to getting cozy in the room. Also as I stated in the post from the specs on the bed and the stains at the foot of it along with the bite mark under my sons arm kind of makes one believe it to be.

Edited by Cheddarhead Cruiser

Sounds very unpleasant, I truly hope none of those dirty little buggers make their way into your home. As far as the glass goes, that is unacceptable. Good luck in your future cruises hope this was a one off occurrence

*Living Large*

No hopefully they did not. When we got home we went straight to the laundry mat and ran all the clothes we had for the trip thru the washer and dryer twice. The farthest the luggage made it was the trunk of my wife's vehicle. As far as the luggage it was thrown out. Wasn't taking any chances.

Your review does not paint a glowing picture of your pre-cruise hotel. It is possible that you picked up the critters there and brought them with you. Wherever they came from, an unpleasant experience for you and here's to hoping you've got rid of them now.

It is a slight concern that there have now been two reports of bed-bugs on the Epic.

Your review does not paint a glowing picture of your pre-cruise hotel. It is possible that you picked up the critters there and brought them with you. Wherever they came from, an unpleasant experience for you and here's to hoping you've got rid of them now.

It is a slight concern that there have now been two reports of bed-bugs on the Epic.

I know Steve. Not sure where or how they happened to be in our room on the Epic only that it was noticed in the room and on the bedding. No signs were noticed in the precruise hotel. As far as bringing them home extra precautions were taken to make sure they weren't brought into the home.

Sorry this happened to you...I suggest you contact Corporate (the phone number is on the NCL website in the Contact Us section). Ask for the Executive Offices...I have always found them to be incredibly responsive to any issues or concerns.

Edited by watchdiva

A few years ago there was a major outbreak of bed bugs in NYC. Bed bugs are not that common in the USA. They traced them back to European visitors where they are fairly common there. Since the Epic spends so much time in Europe, it would be surprising that bed bugs have not entered all cruise ships there.

However, cruise ships take this extremely serious. They have very good tests and treatments if they are found. It sounds like NCL ruled out bed bugs. Bed bugs are difficult to wash out of clothes and sheets. It takes a sustained temperature of 120 degrees for about an hour to kill bed bugs.

Sorry this happened to you...I suggest you contact Corporate (the phone number is on the NCL website in the Contact Us section. Ask for the Executive Offices...I have always found them to be incredibly responsive to any issues or concerns.

I have done that and it seems to be falling on deaf ears.

Did you ask for the Executive Offices or did the operator transfer you to Guest Relations? I'm sorry that your experience with The Executive Offices was so different than ours has been.

Edited by watchdiva

A few years ago there was a major outbreak of bed bugs in NYC. Bed bugs are not that common in the USA. They traced them back to European visitors where they are fairly common there. Since the Epic spends so much time in Europe, it would be surprising that bed bugs have not entered all cruise ships there.

However, cruise ships take this extremely serious. They have very good tests and treatments if they are found. It sounds like NCL ruled out bed bugs. Bed bugs are difficult to wash out of clothes and sheets. It takes a sustained temperature of 120 degrees for about an hour to kill bed bugs.

When you say "They traced them back to European visitors where they are fairly common there".

Who are "They". Sounds like the usual proporganda they feed you over there lol.

When you say "They traced them back to European visitors where they are fairly common there".

Who are "They". Sounds like the usual proporganda they feed you over there lol.

I agree - I have traveled all over Europe myself, and also worked in the hotel industry when I was younger. And I have lived in Norway, the Netherlands, Spain, Italy, France and Switzerland - and I have NEVER encountered bedbugs....

During the night of 4/4/2015 while sleeping, I constantly felt something biting my feet and legs. On 4/5/2015 I pulled back the sheets to find similar things as far as the specks and stains that I found the morning of 4/3/2015. Since it was the last day of the cruise I did not contact guest services as I felt from the previous contact regarding this issue it would not be addressed.

So Sorry you had such a bad experience and are still having it but even sorrier, madder and aggravated that you didn't advise guest services even if it were your last day. What about the poor people after you? :eek:

This is why they keep spreading - because of people like you!!!

Edited by din2play2

I agree - I have traveled all over Europe myself, and also worked in the hotel industry when I was younger. And I have lived in Norway, the Netherlands, Spain, Italy, France and Switzerland - and I have NEVER encountered bedbugs....

Yeah! I live in Europe and travel frequently within Europe and I've never encountered bedbugs, nor do I know anyone who has.

Not that common in the US? You need to recheck your facts on bedbugs.

They have been around since the time of the ancient Egyptians and have been here in the USA since the early colonists brought them over. In the 1950s they were nearly eradicated in the developed world, including the US, by the use of new pesticides, and the modern vacuum cleaners and washing machines. There was a world wide resurgence since the 1980s due to an increase in International Travel and a developed resistance to pesticides. They are found in all 50 states. According to a 2013 survey of Pest Control Companies in the US, 99.6% had encountered bedbugs.

So, yes, they were brought here by "Europeans", but they have been here for a long, long, time.

Did you ask for the Executive Offices or did the operator transfer you to Guest Relations? I'm sorry that your experience with The Executive Offices was so different than ours has been.

I didn't realize that I could be transfered to Executive offices. I thought it was end all be all left at Guest Relations. I will follow up with them in the next couple of days. Hopefully will get some progress.