INSIGNIA vs MARINA/RIVIERA

jes95135

I've done 1 cruise each on the Oceania Marina and Riviera and am very partial to their Terrace Buffet (lobster tails, crab legs, lamb chops, wonderful cheese, gelato, ... a plethora of very interesting food choices).

Can anyone tell me how the Insignia's Terrace Buffet compares. Thanks.

(I know there are fewer specialty restaurants on the Insignia and their non-balcony cabins are significantly smaller).

Smaller and maybe not quite as good of a selection. You can still get your lobster, chops at the grill, but the grill is smaller and therefore you don't quite get the same selection you do on the Riveria and Marina. We found on our last cruise on the Nautica, same size ship, that the Terrace was quite good and there was enough of a selection to keep us content.

...(I know there are fewer specialty restaurants on the Insignia and their non-balcony cabins are significantly smaller).

Just to keep the record straight and avoid confusing newbies, with the exception of the Category "E" obstructed view cabins, all the standard cabins -- with and without balconies -- are much of a same size, perhaps as much as 8 square feet or so difference.

The sizes shown on the official Oceania site for balcony cabins include the balconies, which are 43 square feet. Insides are 160 sf, ocean view are 165, and balconies are 173. You won't be able to see the difference. It's not until you get to a Penthouse or above that sizes change appreciably. A Penthouse is 260 sf plus a 62 sf balcony (the Oceania site lists them as 322 sf, which obviously includes the balcony).

Edited by hondorner

No, actually, the Penthouse suites on Riviera and Marina are much larger than those on the "R" ships, 420 sq.ft. vs. 322 sq. ft. The other suites are larger too.

When I said "all of the standard cabins", I was referring only to the "R" ships, and specifically Insignia, which was the basis of the OP's question. I should have explained that.

No, actually, the Penthouse suites on Riviera and Marina are much larger than those on the "R" ships, 420 sq.ft. vs. 322 sq. ft. The other suites are larger too.

Having been in penthouses on Riviera and on Insignia, the biggest difference is not in the room itself but in the bathroom and closets.

Because the PH on the R ship is almost square in shape, the room is easier to get around and nicer than the PH on Riviera. However the bathroom and walk in closet on Riviera PH is much much nicer. JMO