We have three new cruisers with us!

ekerr19

Well, looks like we may be temporarily housing three children who are victims of Katrina until their parents or other relatives can be located... these kids have quite possibly lost their own parents - currently, their long term fate is unknown.

BUT - Should they happen join our household, this summer, we are planning on taking our Med cruise - which we hope will be quite enjoyable, but have some hesitation of bringing kids ages 12 - 18 who have never cruised, yet those who have been forced to evacuate due to floods.

I spoke with a relocated family (here in Colorado) the last thing they want is to be anywhere close to water... so I am torn - do we cancel or see if the kids are willing? Should we try and convince them? Our kids have looked forward to this for so long...

I spoke with a relocated family (here in Colorado) the last thing they want is to be anywhere close to water... so I am torn - do we cancel or see if the kids are willing? Should we try and convince them? Our kids have looked forward to this for so long...

I wouldn't cancel. You still have time, and who knows ... when your kids talk to them over the intervening weeks, they may become enthused about the journey too! Kids are much more adventuresome than adults ... they tend to take things in stride much more than we do ... and you do have plenty of time to earn their trust between now and cruise time. Also, you never know. The kids might not even still be with you by the time the date of the cruise rolls around. Relatives may have been located and they may have moved on. So, I wouldn't cancel. If push comes to shove and the kids are really petrified to go, you could probably make some alternative arrangements for them.

The good Lord usually has a way of working these things out.

Bless you for offering to take those children in when they so desperately need some stability and security in their lives. Your reward will await you in heaven, I am sure.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Laura, you have a heart of gold!!!

I think you will get your answer just by looking at the necessary paperwork. You can not take the kids out of the country without the parents permission and because they cant be located wont be excepted by port authorties.

Our friends who are in the process of adopting some kids, wanted to take them to Spain to meet other family members, they were told no, not until the adoption was final or the parents were found and permission was given :(

Debbie - I really hadn't even thought of that... thanks for the reminder! We are waiting to be approved for the whole deal (which has been super overwhelming), but our kids brought up the cruising issue tonight - they are really super about taking on the added responsibility, but do have some concerns - and you have a great point which must be addressed before decisions can be made...

Laura,

I also want to congratulate you and your husband for taking on 3 extra teenage children. It is a huge responsibility and I know that these 3 children will be so grateful. I do hope that they can find their parents within a short time. You do have a wonderful heart and only good things can happen to your and your family.

I wouldn't worry as yet about whether to go or not to go on your cruise. I am sure that by the time August comes around again, life will have settled down and you may find that the cruise was meant to be.

My best wishes to you both.

Jennie

Laura, you and your entire family are to be commended for this tremendous act of caring. And the 3 teens will be lucky to get to be a part of your household, even temporarily.

I have to agree with Debbie that as things stand now you will not be able to take these kids out of the country. But lots can happen in a year, so keep that cruise on the books!

Laura......What a beautiful thing you and your family are doing. These three teens will have the chance of a full future because of you. Without you taking them into your home, who knows what would become of them.

Hopefully, their parents/relatives are found and they are reunited soon but for now, they must be very, very grateful a family such as yours is opening their home to them.

Bless You!!!

Laura, when I received your email about doing this wonderful thing this morning I was completely overwhelmed by your generosity of time and spirit. You, Sonny and your children are to be commended.

As for the Med cruise, I see it's not until next August ... really a year away. But I would guess if there's any chance of taking them, you'd need another cabin. You could reserve it since you have nothing to lose. By the time you need to make final payment you will know much better what the situation is.

Again, God bless you and everyone who are opening their homes and hearts. The outpouring of goodness by so many is the only thing good to come from all of this.

Laura, I too join in with the others on thanking and commending you, Sonny and your kids with bringing in these teenagers. That is so wonderful. But I do know what Debbie said is correct. Taking them will not be a possiblity but with God's help I am sure their family member swill be found and they can be rejoined with their family. In the mean time you and your family with be able to give them the sense of normalicy and routine and love that they very much need. I am confident that you and your family will be able to enjoy your cruise next summer and these teenagers will be reunited with their loved ones.

Thanks for sharing Laura:)

Laura- I'd continue to plan on cruising. As Heather stated, you can make the extra reservation and cancel later if needed. Compared to adults, adolescents are amazingly resilient and a cruise might be a wonderful experience for them. If not, maybe alternate care could be arranged. You have my deepest admiration. If only more children could have role models like you!

Well, looks like we may be temporarily housing three children who are victims of Katrina until their parents or other relatives can be located... these kids have quite possibly lost their own parents - currently, their long term fate is unknown.

BUT - Should they happen join our household, this summer, we are planning on taking our Med cruise - which we hope will be quite enjoyable, but have some hesitation of bringing kids ages 12 - 18 who have never cruised, yet those who have been forced to evacuate due to floods.

Laura,

First of all, bless you for doing what you can to help those in great need from here on the gulf coast. No, I wouldn't cancel. Even if you are still housing them when it comes time for your cruise, children are so resilient I would doubt that being on the water would have much effect on them.

Richard & Judie

I think you will get your answer just by looking at the necessary paperwork. You can not take the kids out of the country without the parents permission and because they cant be located wont be excepted by port authorties.

Yeah, but wouldn't they have paperwork indicating they are the childrens' legal guardian ... at least until family can be located? If they have legal guardian status, and the paperwork to prove it, it would seem to me that they could certainly take the children out of the country for a vacation trip.

I never even thought of this angle, but it would seem to me that there should be a way around letting them enjoy a cruise with the family who has lovingly agreed to take care of them in the interim.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Laura- I'd continue to plan on cruising. As Heather stated, you can make the extra reservation and cancel later if needed. Compared to adults, adolescents are amazingly resilient and a cruise might be a wonderful experience for them. If not, maybe alternate care could be arranged. You have my deepest admiration. If only more children could have role models like you!

Also, when I reserved for the three children, I would be sure to mention to your TA or HAL rep that these children are Hurricane Katrina refugees that you are caring for. I will bet you dollars to donuts that HAL will give you a nice concession on the rates for them.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Laura, You and your family have the biggest hearts. These kids couldn't have found a better family to stay with. I pray that these children's parents are found and they can be reunited with them.

I wouldn't cancel the cruise just yet. God works in mysterious ways and he will give you an answer to your question.

If there is anything I can do to help these kids, please let me know.

Yeah, but wouldn't they have paperwork indicating they are the childrens' legal guardian ... at least until family can be located? If they have legal guardian status, and the paperwork to prove it, it would seem to me that they could certainly take the children out of the country for a vacation trip.

I never even thought of this angle, but it would seem to me that there should be a way around letting them enjoy a cruise with the family who has lovingly agreed to take care of them in the interim.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Hi Rita, my friends were told guardianship was not good enough, it had to be they have legal custody, thats the delimma my friends have right now eeeks!

Hi Rita, my friends were told guardianship was not good enough, it had to be they have legal custody, thats the delimma my friends have right now eeeks!

Boy, that kinda sucks. I would only hope that given the unique nature of this situation, something can be done ... exceptions can be made. It would be sad if those three kids had to be left behind while the rest of the family went on a cruise ... or for the whole family to have to skip a cruise they've been looking forward to.

Of course, it's important to stay positive. By the time this cruise rolls around, hopefully the parents will have been located, or other relatives will have come forward ... and the necessary permissions can be secured if they still would like the kids to travel with them.

Blue skies ...

--rita

To really get down to the brass tacks. I would check with the officials overseeing this placement ASAP. Members of our family do Foster Care on a regular basis. There are many regulations and rules that would not apply to the care of your own children. These regulations are in place to safeguard and protect the young who cannot sometimes speak for themselves. I don't know whether you are doing this via a "Foster Care Program", private, county, state or federal program perhaps. It may be that it is not even a formal custody arrangement, but there are probably still long lists of regulations. If those have not been conveyed to you yet, they probably will be soon and that will assist you in your plans.

I do know that vacations out of state have sometimes been almost canceled in our family and arrangements sometimes can get complicated- their own rooms, for example. Passports would probably be impossible---red tape, red tape!

A really nice thought, but maybe a more local vacation would be a much happier choice this year. Your children will certainly understand in light of what they see in these temporary family children's lives. EM

Laura ..What a wonderful & compassionate thing for you & your family to do.. Wishing you all the best & hope that their parents or family will be found very soon ..It is so heartbreaking to hear of children who are suffering because their parents can't be found..We hope & pray that all of them will be with those who care very soon..

Perhaps the Authorities or a Judge will be able to work something out for you all..After all, if they can make exceptions & cutting red tape for others maybe they can do the same for these children..We hope it works out for you..Bless you & your family..

Well, I learned today that I was pretty much jumping the gun! We were so excited to think of having the kids with us, we talked about it for hours with our own kids and it seemed like something that was already a reality, but the reality is there is quite a process involved.

As one poster mentioned above, now comes the "brass tacks" ...and the "dotting the i's and crossing all the t's" - and we are on a long list of many willing to do this, and we found it won't be happening as quickly as we thought.

Not only is there quite a bit of paperwork - the complete process, lengthy and involved, will take considerable time. The guardianship issue is such that we would not be allowed to take the kids out of the country; but we are still committed to filling out all the forms and following through with the process even though initially we thought it would be much simpler. I do understand the need for thoroughness however.

Now that we've made the decision (as a family) and we've discussed the possibility that while this may not work out for us; we can also consider fostering other teens here in Colorado - it's been an eye-opening experience and I now see there is quite a need here at home.

Thanks for all the great support and wishes - we will keep you posted. :)

I do know that vacations out of state have sometimes been almost canceled in our family and arrangements sometimes can get complicated- their own rooms, for example. Passports would probably be impossible---red tape, red tape!

A really nice thought, but maybe a more local vacation would be a much happier choice this year. Your children will certainly understand in light of what they see in these temporary family children's lives. EM

Absolutely! Might be a good year to try something different ... can you say Disney!?!?!?! :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived