seattle post cruise car rental

Knighton

If I use one of the rental agencies that have kiosks at pier 91, do they allow you to return the car at the airport? Also, I'm getting quotes of about $500 give or take for a sunday -thursday in August for an suv (There's 3 of us and we'll have alot of luggage). Is this right? Seems kinda expensive.

If I use one of the rental agencies that have kiosks at pier 91, do they allow you to return the car at the airport? Also, I'm getting quotes of about $500 give or take for a sunday -thursday in August for an suv (There's 3 of us and we'll have alot of luggage). Is this right? Seems kinda expensive.

The rate looks OK for the vehicle and the time. Have you considered a mini van . They usually run cheaper than an SUV. August is in the middle of high tourist season.

Can't answer for other question directly.

Edited by Kamloops50

Typically the Alamo/National/Enterprise office does allow airport returns wirhout a drop charge, but I would explicitly price that option. Use the office at 1601 3rd Avenue for your pick up location.

If your price currently is based on an airport pickup, recognize that we have some of the highest rental car taxes in the country when you pick up at the airport. The non-airport scenario is usually much cheaper, if not exactly cheap.

You're looking at high season (adds $$) and a one-way (adds $$). Only you can decide if it's worth it.

Did you price out renting from the airport? Even with high taxes and fees it might be cheaper than doing a one-way.

Also, what are your plans? If staying in the 'tourist' area of Seattle then a car might not be a good idea because of parking.

Edited by SadieN

Thanks everyone for the tips! We are staying with friends that have a house in seattle, I haven't asked them but I'm assuming they have parking. Will ask them before I book the car. As far as the mini van goes, none of the cruise terminal agencies seem to have one available. They only offer suvs like the hyundai santa fe. As long as it holds our luggage and 3 people that's fine with me.:)

if they live within Seattle city limits, you should shop around for the cheapest RT rental from any vendor in Seattle. A taxi into Seattle from pier 91 will be around $20.

And when you're ready to go to the airport, a taxi from your friends to SeaTac will be about $50. (check http://www.eastsideforhire.com .... input the zip code of your friend and SeaTac to get the fare).

Your luggage will be at the friends house for the 3 days so a smaller car will work.

ie a standard size car from Enterprise downtown on 3rd, is about $50 with tax

Edited by mapleleaves
ie

This doesn't directly relate to OPs questions but is up-to-date info regarding our Enterprise rental for August. Two people, intermediate (like a Corolla), pick up at airport late Thursday night, return at the 3rd street Enterprise office mid-morning on Saturday for a cruise out of pier 91.

I called the 3rd Street office to ask about drop-off fee and was told it is $35 (the estimate did not show a "drop charge"). The 3rd St. office WILL take us to pier 91 after drop off. The estimated charge is $286.58 not including the drop off charge.

We are limited to pick-up at airport due to late night flight arrival so have to pay all those taxes/fees (FYI: the actual car cost is 2 day @ $105/day so $210 with an additional ~$75-105 in taxes/fees).

This doesn't directly relate to OPs questions but is up-to-date info regarding our Enterprise rental for August. Two people, intermediate (like a Corolla), pick up at airport late Thursday night, return at the 3rd street Enterprise office mid-morning on Saturday for a cruise out of pier 91.

I called the 3rd Street office to ask about drop-off fee and was told it is $35 (the estimate did not show a "drop charge"). The 3rd St. office WILL take us to pier 91 after drop off. The estimated charge is $286.58 not including the drop off charge.

Unless you are sightseeing outside of Seattle you don't really need a car.

Seattle is quite small so a taxi fare within town will be about $15. A taxi from SeaTac to a downtown hotel will be about $40 and a taxi from hotel to pier 91 about $15. Look over your sightseeing plans to see if you really need a car to get around ...... you might be able to save yourself some money, and aggravation. :)

Thank you mapleleaves!

We're staying 2 nights in Tacoma in advance of the cruise as we're attending a conference on Friday. Then we'll drive into Seattle that afternoon to do a bit of sightseeing. As it's a business trip, the car rental is paid by DH's work whereas public transportation to sightsee would not!

The Tacoma hotel is also much less expensive than in town, as you well know, so we've saved some cash there.

We may do a park & ride to do our sightseeing too. I've been reading the Seattle FAQ sticky regarding the local transportation and it appears very straightforward like other city's we've been to.

Thank you mapleleaves!

We're staying 2 nights in Tacoma in advance of the cruise as we're attending a conference on Friday. Then we'll drive into Seattle that afternoon to do a bit of sightseeing. As it's a business trip, the car rental is paid by DH's work whereas public transportation to sightsee would not!

The Tacoma hotel is also much less expensive than in town, as you well know, so we've saved some cash there.

We may do a park & ride to do our sightseeing too. I've been reading the Seattle FAQ sticky regarding the local transportation and it appears very straightforward like other city's we've been to.

Just so you won't get a surprise...some of the park and ride lots fill up early on weekdays. The one in Tukwila, by the light rail station, is full before 8 am! Your plan sounds good, but get an early start, or else park at one of the more distant park-and-ride lots that don't get as full (I would try the one in Burien--it's a safe enough neighborhood, easy to find, and it's an easy 10 minute bus ride to the light rail station).

Thank you Casagordita--I've copied/pasted your suggestion into a Word doc so I can have it with us. Since we'll be in a conference on Friday (in Tacoma) until 3 or 330, maybe by the time we've made our way to a park & ride, some places would have emptied--any thoughts about that possibility??

PS: wasn't meaning to hi-jack OPs post...hopefully this info is helpful to others too!!

Why don't you call the car rental agency and ask them?

Thank you Casagordita--I've copied/pasted your suggestion into a Word doc so I can have it with us. Since we'll be in a conference on Friday (in Tacoma) until 3 or 330, maybe by the time we've made our way to a park & ride, some places would have emptied--any thoughts about that possibility??

PS: wasn't meaning to hi-jack OPs post...hopefully this info is helpful to others too!!

That late, it's worth a look at the Tukwila light rail lot (don't miss that there's a second lit across Southcenter Boulevard/S. 154th St. If that doesn't work, you can always drive over to Burien (it's very close). If you do, wave on the way by--I live right in between them!