Carnival for couples

tutumomma

Hi.. The last time that we were on a Carnival Cruise was about 15 years ago, and had such a bad experience that we stayed away from cruising until last year. We tried RCCL and was happy with our experience and want to take another cruise next February. Since it's been 15 years and I'm sure a lot has changed, the Carnival Dream out of New Orleans is one of the cruises that we are considering. I was wondering if Carnival is more of late night party crowd every day, or if it is a completely just for families.

We are going on a vacation without the kids, and wanted something where we could go out at night to either a good show, or have a few drinks at the bar. We also were hoping to have a vacation where you can sit on the decks and relax in a lounge chair.

To sum it up is it a good cruise line for couples who just want to relax and have a good time.

Thanks for your input!

No matter what cruise line you go on, the number of "families" and where they are is really related to the time of year.

Certainly during holiday times the number of "families" can be overwhelming.

I have found that the second week of November and the month of February are those magic times where families are not on vacation. Mostly because of school.

Hi.. The last time that we were on a Carnival Cruise was about 15 years ago, and had such a bad experience that we stayed away from cruising until last year. We tried RCCL and was happy with our experience and want to take another cruise next February. Since it's been 15 years and I'm sure a lot has changed, the Carnival Dream out of New Orleans is one of the cruises that we are considering. I was wondering if Carnival is more of late night party crowd every day, or if it is a completely just for families.

We are going on a vacation without the kids, and wanted something where we could go out at night to either a good show, or have a few drinks at the bar. We also were hoping to have a vacation where you can sit on the decks and relax in a lounge chair.

To sum it up is it a good cruise line for couples who just want to relax and have a good time.

Thanks for your input!

Simply put: Carnival is a good cruise line for both couples AND families.

Since just the two of you are going and you want to relax, there will be plenty of spaces and time for that. There is an adults-only Serenity deck, as well as your balcony (if you choose one) that offers a more quiet atmosphere. Deck 5 - Promenade - also offers outdoor spaces that are much more quiet and relaxing than Lido. There are hot tubs that overlook the edge of the ship on this deck, as well.

Carnival has an old reputation as a "party boat" type cruise, but I've yet to experience that. You see many families, groups, and couples and I have not personally witnessed a belligerent drunk person or out of control parties. What I have witnessed is fun, relaxation, and endless food. lol. Bars are not lacking on Carnival ships. The Dream has RedFrog Rum Bar, BlueIguana Tequila Bar, and a piano bar, plus the various standard bars around the ship. All of them tend to be pretty fun places to hang out.

As far as shows go, the new Playlist Productions are just okay ... not my favorite but they're still entertaining; if you want to know more about Playlist, just search for threads - there are plenty of reviews and thoughts on the topic. The one thing you can't miss are the comedy shows. Most of the comedians are excellent and they offer both family-friendly and adult-only options.

Anymore questions, just ask. :)

Edited by michigancruiser0715

A cruise is what YOU make it. Go off season, fall or before spring break, never in the summer. You will find night life (something I steer clear of) you will find adult things to do. and you will find quiet time to be together. Learn your ship once you are on, you will see where things are hot and if they are not, then make them so.

The very short cruises do turn into party cruises!

We are a senior couple who have cruised on RCCL and now enjoy Carnival a great deal! I don't think you can characterize the Carnival cruise line as being just for one group or another. It has something for families, for couples and probably for singles too. We have cruised during spring break when lots of families were on board and the children didn't interfere with any activity we wanted to do either.

We are not late night people but the Funtimes listed lots of activities late into the evening. We were happy to note that there was music starting much earlier too so we didn't feel left out at all. I think you can find whatever you want on board.

Edited by riffatsea

Spirit class ships-Legend, Miracle, and Pride have the adult serenity area at the back that have their own bar, tables to eat, lounging area, pool, hot tub, clam shells, loungers, and hammocks. We stayed there the entire time during our Spring Break cruise last year and had a great time! I mean, we went to shows, dinner, etc but the majority of our time was spent at Serenity and it was wonderful. We never felt like it was crowded or that there were that many kids around and I know that out on Lido and other areas, there were tons of kids!

Thanks for your input!

DH and I went on our first cruise aboard the Conquest last year and had a very relaxing time. We're not party people and DH doesn't drink (although I do enjoy one every now and then) and we found that it was no trouble at all to lounge on the decks or read on our balcony. I liked the options each night too -- some nights we wanted to just sit back and relax and other nights we enjoyed going to the shows and participating in the livelier activities. Whatever mood we were in, we could find something to do.

Judging from our experience, I'd say you'd have no problem finding what you're wanting on Carnival. Vacation is truly what you make it and there's something for everyone on board.

No matter what cruise line you go on, the number of "families" and where they are is really related to the time of year.

Certainly during holiday times the number of "families" can be overwhelming.

I have found that the second week of November and the month of February are those magic times where families are not on vacation. Mostly because of school.

We sailed out of NOLA in November and it was full of Saint's Fans. They really knew how to party!

Thanks for your input!

We have been cruising carnival for 13 years. It is for families, couples, groups and singles... We've seen all of the above. Less children during the school year. Spring break cruises tend to have more college kids and parties. We travel with our kids (now grown) about half the time. We've never had a loss of things to do. As far as quiet- the dream does have a serenity deck for adults. It does stay pretty crowded, but no kids. The dream also has a cloud 9 spa that is amazing. It is super quiet and kid free.

This will be our first cruise without our kid but (14) but we have noticed he doesn't want to be with us any way so it is always just the two of us doing exactly the thing that you want to do (We love the Piano Bar!). While the kids will bee in the pool and buffet area we hardly notice them at all as for the most part they also have their own areas.

Thanks for your input!

I have been cruising for a lot of years and only once I went with my kids. It was honestly the worst cruise I have ever been on and my kids did not have fun either ( but that's another story and a lot of rain). I have mostly been on Carnival. I ALWAYS have a fabulous time. I agree, it is mostly what YOU make of it. We find ways to be alone as a couple We live on the Serenity Deck or our own balcony. There are plenty of places to "get away" from the kids ( and yes, there's a TON of kids on ship during the summer months). I always cruise in the summer as it fits my schedule the best. But I think couples can have just as much fun as anyone. We prefer to dine at a table for two ( I am a newlywed) and I do not go to interact with other couples. We go to be ALONE, and as we head off in 33 days to celebrate our 3rd anniversary and 3rd cruise as a couple, we have always managed to be ALONE on a Carnival ship. I hope this helps, some? I am not the night owl I used to be, so I think Carnival has so many activities for all types of schedules you could not be disappointed in what you'd like to do for an early evening OR late night.

Best wishes!

Your last Carnival cruise was 15 years ago tells me you've missed the renaissance in new amenities like the Serenity Area, adult comedy clubs and the newer, more expansive ships.

The one variable is school schedules. When school is out, kids are plentiful and the prices go up. We sailed the Glory in September for half what the Triumph cost for a New Years Eve trip. On the Glory there were 200 kids, on the Triumph, 1100. It's not rocket science on when to go.

Edited by BallFour4

We cruise late January and there are very few kids onboard.

Also love the new Serenity Deck. We enjoyed it on Liberty in 2014 and really missed it on Conquest this year. Looking forward to Serenity on Glory next January.

John Heald has a post relating to "adults only" cruise. If Miracle was an "Adult Only" cruise ship would you sail. I think the adult only concept is great rather than a "couples" only. You get the same result but don't omit the sector of "adults" that are not "couples" from enjoying the same reward.:rolleyes: