Vancouver family restaurant to celebrate early Father's Day

We will be in Vancouver with our grown children and granddaughter (8) just prior to Father's Day (in the U. S.). Our last night together will be Friday, June 19, while American Father's Day is on Sunday June 21, but we will be flying home that day. So, we hope to surprise the Dads in the group with a celebratory dinner that Friday. Does anyone have suggestions for something that will appeal to a wide range of tastes and will not break the bank?

We are staying at the Fairmount Waterfront....Italian, perhaps? I'd like to avoid seafood restaurants since everyone doesn't love it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

So, we hope to surprise the Dads in the group with a celebratory dinner that Friday. Does anyone have suggestions for something that will appeal to a wide range of tastes and will not break the bank?

We are staying at the Fairmount Waterfront....Italian, perhaps? I'd like to avoid seafood restaurants since everyone doesn't love it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hmm... what type of restaurant would you go to at home?

Ideas?

I hear there's a Italian restaurant on Hastings that has long lines for great value (large portions).... Is this the popular place? http://www.antonspastabar.com/ (you want a cab ride to get there)

Edited by xlxo

While I'd concur that the Old Spaghetti Factory won't break any bank other than the average toddler's piggy, unless nobody in the group could be remotely described as a foodie avoid like the plague. You don't get all you can eat without some serious compromises in food quality at the prices OSF charges...

If you're set on Italian, try Zeferelli's within walking distance or Lupo in Yaletown for something a little further. Ask for Luigi has sucked up a bundle of awards, including from their peers not just Joe Q Public, and isn't much pricier - but they take very, very limited bookings and are extremely popular.

Personally I'd be inclined to branch out into something with a wider menu, including seafood for those who want it, and ideally something with at least a little local vibe. CCC that xlxo mentioned, if your budget fits, would be my #1 recco - and if your budget is short, I'd cancel the Fairmont and stay in, say, Blue Horizon instead - the difference per night should easily pay for at least 2 people to eat pretty darn well;-)

But assuming you're not willing to move hotels then Milestones is a now-across-Canada chain that started here in Vancouver, still offers a wide menu with kiddy-friendly options. Closest branch Robson St.

The Keg also started in BC and I'd also concur with xlxo about - you will get a great meal, and if they screw u and can't fix it they will comp you up the whazoo until you're happy.

Hmm... what type of restaurant would you go to at home?

Ideas?

The Keg hasn't been located next to Bradi's for at least a couple of years, it's further down the street at Dunsmuir/Granville now.

Thank you for the great suggestions! And for taking the time to post. I think we might try Zefferellis, it seems like it might suit everyone and be a safe bet since both dads like Italian.

We have been to Vancouver once and loved the city...excited to return with family!

June 21st is Father's Day in Canada too, so I would suspect that there will be a lot of restaurants offering "Father's Day Specials", so it might be a good idea to make sure you have a reservation well in advance.

On the same weekend as Father's Day is the annual dragon boat races. Head over to Science World or the Olympic village to see them. If you get on the Aqua bus, you might even get to chase the boats.

http://dragonboatbc.ca/at-the-festival/general-information/

My favourite is the final races of the day... these are the "Guts 'n Glory" races where boats compete in a high speed oval. Occassionally it's full contact!

[YOUTUBE]Cn8t-_XRqnk[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]taY_IZUMLIU[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by xlxo

I should add....

• the races are free to watch.
  • There's a 500 meter race every 10 to 15 minutes from 8am to 4pm over the weekend.
  • the Guts 'n Glory race needs about 45 minutes to setup. Once they setup the 8 to 16 boats, it's exciting to watch them compete in the 2k endurance oval. Only the days fastest racers are worthy to participate Guts 'n Glory.
  • dragon boats are designed to go in a straight line.... not in curves. Vancouver used to have a Taiwanese dragon boat races. There was some red-neck races..... Nogard (dragon spelled backwards) where races were held by paddling backwards, barrel races (obstacle) and blind-fold (paddlers were blind-folded) races.
  • I believe the Guts 'n Glory concept started in Rome and spread to a few races in North America.
  • they start with GnG race with the slowest boat at the front and the fastest boat last.

Here's Part 2 of the earlier vid. Watch them race down to the finish!

[YOUTUBE]hJjlYqoDcxw[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by xlxo