Question for anyone doing and World Cruise embarking in Southampton.

fourstacker

Hi., and I apologise in advance for asking if this is a stupid question, please blame it on my newbie status.

We are excited to be booked on the WC for the Queen Victoria in 2016 and I see that one of the "perks" is a welcome onboard champagne cocktail party on the day of embarkation. Can someone who has attended this tell me what time this is usually held, our agent thinks about 2pm and I am looking at timing for arriving at the ship and taking into account the time to get on board.

This is a big trip for us and I don't want to miss out on any of the fun...even if it is just a glass of "Pol Hacker".

Also, one last question, do Full World Cruisers have their own separate line for boarding or do we just board in a standard line? (Just asking for timing purposes not a question of anything more sinister!)

thanks in advance...

We have done the start of the World Cruise - though not the whole world - and I would be very surprised if your Welcome on Board party was even on that day, muchless before sailing. I seem to remember, the World Cruise party was a day or two later when we were on.

If it really is on embarkation day, it is likely to be much later as many guests will not have arrived by 2pm - and the Captain is likely to be busy until long after sailing. Unless perhaps it's a luncheon?

Regarding checking in, we had Priority anyway because we were in the Grills, so I'm afraid I didn't notice.

Have a wonderful time.

Edited by cruiseluvva

Also, one last question, do Full World Cruisers have their own separate line for boarding or do we just board in a standard line? (Just asking for timing purposes not a question of anything more sinister!)

When we boarded in Southampton in January, there was no priority line for full world cruisers.

We have done the start of the World Cruise - though not the whole world - and I would be very surprised if your Welcome on Board party was even on that day, muchless before sailing. I seem to remember, the World Cruise party was a day or two later when we were on.

If it really is on embarkation day, it is likely to be much later as many guests will not have arrived by 2pm - and the Captain is likely to be busy until long after sailing. Unless perhaps it's a luncheon?

Regarding checking in, we had Priority anyway because we were in the Grills, so I'm afraid I didn't notice.

Have a wonderful time.

thanks Gil, yes we are looking forward to it. Its marketed as a "Welcome on board for your World Cruise" drink and "get together to meet your fellow World Cruise travellers".

I saw a comment somewhere on here but can;t find it now...goodness there is a lot of reading to be had here... where someone complained that it was held at 2pm and it was not well attended because the WC travellers had "better things to do".

Just remembered it was on a review of a WC and from memory was full of complaints!

Edited by fourstacker

When we boarded in Southampton in January, there was no priority line for full world cruisers.

thanks, I didn't really think there was...but I will look enviously at those in the Diamond and Grills line!

Hopefully once the World Cruisers return (not long now) we will find out what happened this year.

We have a couple of "Live from" threads running for QE & QV, it might be worth checking the first few pages of them to see if there is any mention.

Hopefully once the World Cruisers return (not long now) we will find out what happened this year.

We have a couple of "Live from" threads running for QE & QV, it might be worth checking the first few pages of them to see if there is any mention.

Thanks Hattie, good thinking of which I have actioned. Unfortunately, the QE had an interesting beginning of her WC, her embarkation day delayed and her luck continued, amongst, missed ports, storms and even at least one death... I think the posters had plenty to write about but the opportunity for a cocktail party sadly missed.

The QV one hasn't mentioned one either, but has seemed to have a much luckier trip....long may that continue for her.

Hopefully someone may be kind enough to answer otherwise it is not the end of the earth and we shall just have to wait till closer to the event.

I hope all those who have travelled this year will review it and give us something to read in the coming winter months!

Hello fourstacker, I'm sure Maggiemou will be along shortly, she is a mine of information on world cruises having done several on Cunard.

She even wrote a very humorous book about her world cruise travels .

I must say, I do admire folk who plan well in advance ...Me , I can't decided what I'm having for my evening meal tonight ;)

Hi., and I apologise in advance for asking if this is a stupid question, please blame it on my newbie status.

We are excited to be booked on the WC for the Queen Victoria in 2016 and I see that one of the "perks" is a welcome onboard champagne cocktail party on the day of embarkation. Can someone who has attended this tell me what time this is usually held, our agent thinks about 2pm and I am looking at timing for arriving at the ship and taking into account the time to get on board.

This is a big trip for us and I don't want to miss out on any of the fun...even if it is just a glass of "Pol Hacker".

thanks in advance...

Hello Fourstacker. You are in for a very exciting time. I always find the preparation for a world cruise is as good as the cruise itself:) Well, it is for me as I love just planning my wardrobe for a start and planning my trips. :)

You are quite correct. They do have a world cruise party around 2-0pm to welcome you on board. Most World cruisers are on board by then and a party is held to welcome you. It is usually the entertainment staff who will be there but you will get a few drinks and get to know a few other cruisers. I do not always attend this party as I am more intent in getting my 19 suitcase unpacked. :) Yes, I do take rather a lot of things with me. ;)

World cruisers have priority boarding along with Diamond members. We are usually on the ship by 12-15.

I have done a three full Cunard world cruises and a few world segments. I love world cruising. If you have any question just ask. I am a mind of information on world cruises as Bell Boy has also pointed out. ;)

Have fun planning.

thanks, I didn't really think there was...but I will look enviously at those in the Diamond and Grills line!

Fourstacker, This year I was on QE at the start of the world cruise although I boarded four days early and went to Hamburg. We had priority boarding as we are diamond members. I can confirm to you that as world cruiser you will get ushered into a fast track to board. The times you are given to board will be around 11-15. They used to have a special world cruise embarkation desk. Now they send you ahead and you check in with diamond members. You will be on board before people on a shorter cruise as you baggage will be on first as well, but it can take time to arrive at your stateroom door. ;)

QE did have some problem this year in Southampton due to late arrival from Hamburg due to the weather conditions. QE does seem to have had a few incidents as well this year. Do not be put off. We had an amazing time on QE world cruise in 2014. Not one single hiccup all cruise. Things happen at sea that cannot always be avoided but it adds to the experience of the journey.

Did you follow my adventures as I wrote about my whole cruise that year?

thankyou Maggie, can you remember what information you got prior to boarding other than the normal cruise documents and when you got them?

Did you get the whole excursion book? Unfortunately my partner accidentally pressed the "green" button on our last trip in the voyage personaliser (there was hell to pay!) and we did not receive an excursion book and I am very keen on getting it this time around, also did you receive anything about the world cruise extras prior to boarding?

Thankyou I appreciate you have done the World Cruise a number of times and are happy to share your experience.

thankyou Maggie, can you remember what information you got prior to boarding other than the normal cruise documents and when you got them?

Did you get the whole excursion book? Unfortunately my partner accidentally pressed the "green" button on our last trip in the voyage personaliser (there was hell to pay!) and we did not receive an excursion book and I am very keen on getting it this time around, also did you receive anything about the world cruise extras prior to boarding?

Thankyou I appreciate you have done the World Cruise a number of times and are happy to share your experience.

Hello Again.

I have to "go green" as I live overseas and I rarely get any info sent to me from Cunard. I look at all excursions online on my voyage personaliser. I book any I fancy in advance. Spreads the costs ;) I book any tours I know wil be popular such as for instance the visit to Petra. Or any overland tours.

The information on boarding usually just gives a time when we can board. It is usually around 12 noon . We always leave the hotel in Southampton at 11-15 and we are on board by 12-15.

The world cruisers are filtered to a check in desk. No waiting as such but it can take time to pass through security as many world cruisers have plenty of carry on bags and clothes holders to be scanned. it is not a long process and I have found we are always on board pretty quick.

Some passengers have check in times as late as 3-30pm so world cruisers are on early.

You will be able to check the formal nights ahead of time and the themed nights such as Night of the Raj. I like to partake so I get my self organised in advance making sure I have an outfit for all occasions. I make a spread sheet and list the clothes I will wear for each night and I have it pasted on the back of the wardrobe door in my stateroom. :) This can all be done by visiting your voyage personaliser.

Enjoy the planning and go hit the shops to be prepared for all dress codes.:D.

When I boarded the 2014 World Voyage my assigned time was 1:00 but I arrived around noon. There was no queue (thanks in part to massive traffic jams in Southampton).

There was a 2:00 World Voyage party but not many of us there. Don't worry there are many other opportunities for a glass of bubbly if you miss the first one.

Thanks Maggiemou, I take it then that you didn't receive anything special in the way of paperwork before a world cruise. Other lines that I have been told about send out all sorts of information for their world cruisers and I thought Cunard might do the same..

We are staying in London till the morning of the cruise so it looks like catching an earlier rather than a later train down. Its a pity they dont still run the Cunarder train down or the Orient Express as they used to. That would have been quite a start to our trip.

Thanks Scrapnana, we will surely be at that first cocktail party...free champagne and we are in!

So far I'm revelling in the planning, I hope the trip is half as much fun.