birth certificate

deck hand 1978

A birth certificate has to have the "mark" of the government agency that issued it. That currently could be a raised seal, a watermark or color-band, or a hologram--though I don't think there were holograms in 1955. You can call the cruise line and describe your BC and see if they will commit to you (preferably in writing) that yours is acceptable. But if it is not distinctly a government-issue (as opposed to hospital issue) certificate you should see about getting a current "original copy (sic)".

A birth certificate has to have the "mark" of the government agency that issued it. That currently could be a raised seal, a watermark or color-band, or a hologram--though I don't think there were holograms in 1955. You can call the cruise line and describe your BC and see if they will commit to you (preferably in writing) that yours is acceptable. But if it is not distinctly a government-issue (as opposed to hospital issue) certificate you should see about getting a current "original copy (sic)".

thank you you were very helpful crusing on the dawn 5/1/2015

I have the original birth certificate from 1955 but it does not have a raised seal will they still accept it.Anybody have the same problem?

If it is a government issued BC from 1955 it has a seal, albeit probably very faint now. Carefully run your fingers over it and you can probably feel it, if you can't then order a new one.

There is no requirement in the regulations that a birth certificate have any type of seal or mark. It need only be issued by a government agency and not by a hospital. (The regulations actually allow the use of a copy, which isn't going to have any type of seal either.) I would say that if you are concerned about it that it is easy enough to obtain another, but since you are cruising in 2 days I don't think there is time so you kind of have no choice at this point but to use what you have.

My husband was born in 1944. When he presented his worn birth certificate to get his passport the lady said she didn't think it would be accepted but it was. You can always contact the town you were born in and, after paying a small fee, get an official copy of your birth certificate.

Edited by Bonnie J.

My husband was born in 1944. When he presented his worn birth certificate to get his passport the lady said she didn't think it would be accepted but it was. You can always contact the town you were born in and, after paying a small fee, get an official copy of your birth certificate.

The requirements to obtain a passport are stricter then they are for a closedloop cruise.

I'm confused. All you need to get a passport is a birth certificate. Only a birth certificate needed for a closed loop cruise with photo ID. So what more requirements do you need for a passport?

The information displayed on a birth certificate you submit to get a passport has specific requirements that are not needed for the birth certificate if it's just being used to take a closed loop cruise.

For example, a birth certificate submitted with a passport application has to display your parent(s) full names, and must display a date filed with the registrars office that is within one year of birth. Those items are not required by the regulations for a birth certificate presented to take a closed loop cruise.

I'm confused. All you need to get a passport is a birth certificate. Only a birth certificate needed for a closed loop cruise with photo ID. So what more requirements do you need for a passport?

To get a passport you must supply the State Department with a whole lot more genealogical information than what is contained on your birth certificate--and they do verify it.

The information displayed on a birth certificate you submit to get a passport has specific requirements that are not needed for the birth certificate if it's just being used to take a closed loop cruise.

For example, a birth certificate submitted with a passport application has to display your parent(s) full names, and must display a date filed with the registrars office that is within one year of birth. Those items are not required by the regulations for a birth certificate presented to take a closed loop cruise.

My understanding is that when you present a birth certificate in lieu of passport at check-in, it must show both the original date of issue and the date the particular "original copy" you are presenting was issued. Yes, plenty of passengers have reported they have been able to board using BCs that are missing information, or are not first-generation original copies--all the agent looks for is that it was originally government issued. The cruise lines would much rather have you onboard spending money and let you deal with ICE upon disembarkation after you are flagged by them for being allowed to board without the cruise line recording all the necessary proof of citizenship information. (On each of my last several cruises I have seen passengers pulled aside for additional processing simply because they had only a BC).

To get a passport you must supply the State Department with a whole lot more genealogical information than what is contained on your birth certificate--and they do verify it.

My understanding is that when you present a birth certificate in lieu of passport at check-in, it must show both the original date of issue and the date the particular "original copy" you are presenting was issued. Yes, plenty of passengers have reported they have been able to board using BCs that are missing information, or are not first-generation original copies--all the agent looks for is that it was originally government issued. The cruise lines would much rather have you onboard spending money and let you deal with ICE upon disembarkation after you are flagged by them for being allowed to board without the cruise line recording all the necessary proof of citizenship information. (On each of my last several cruises I have seen passengers pulled aside for additional processing simply because they had only a BC).

The items I've highlighted in red above are not part of the regulations for a closed loop cruise.

By the way, you're not dealing with ICE...CBP is the agency that performs the customs/immigration clearance at the port. Both are part of DHS, but ICE is an investigative agency.

CBP just knows you've used a birth certificate to board the ship. They have no idea what is on it until they look at it when you disembark. If the cruise line was regularly allowing passengers to board without proper documentation they could get in deep trouble with CBP and could be subject to substantial fines or even worse could even be banned from using US ports. They do not let you board without meeting the minimum CBP requirements.

The items I've highlighted in red above are not part of the regulations for a closed loop cruise.

By the way, you're not dealing with ICE...CBP is the agency that performs the customs/immigration clearance at the port. Both are part of DHS, but ICE is an investigative agency.

CBP just knows you've used a birth certificate to board the ship. They have no idea what is on it until they look at it when you disembark. If the cruise line was regularly allowing passengers to board without proper documentation they could get in deep trouble with CBP and could be subject to substantial fines or even worse could even be banned from using US ports. They do not let you board without meeting the minimum CBP requirements.

Agreed. I would not be surprised to find out that one of the databases they use to vet passengers is one that verifies that the birth certificate is valid.